This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Solution upgrade wizard and visual studio 2017

4 Answers 247 Views
Visual Studio Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Bruce
Top achievements
Rank 2
Bruce asked on 30 Aug 2017, 03:44 PM

After completing an upgrade, when presented with the results page where each item has "What's Changed" this link is not clickable, when it should be according to http://docs.telerik.com/devtools/winforms/winforms-converter/step-by-step-tutorial

I've included a gif, that shows them, not showing as links, nor responding to clicks.

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Bruce
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 30 Aug 2017, 03:53 PM
In addition, the upgrade wizard changes files from UTF-8 to Western European encoding. 

Also, it wreaks bloody havik on hosted WPF controls. (if you are interested I'll go into more details) 
Hristo
Telerik team
answered on 04 Sep 2017, 02:07 PM
Hi Bruce,

Thank you for writing. 

For the sake of the community, I am updating the thread with my answer from your ticket:

Could you please specify if the encoding of the file is changed after using UI for WinForms Upgrade Wizard or UI for WinForms App Converter?

Clicking on the What`s Changed buttons will launch the vsdiffmerge.exe merge tool. Since it is not opening on your end, I am assuming that you are having only Visual Studio 2017. For versions, prior to 2017, this tool can be accessed as an environmental variable like this VS{0}0COMNTOOLS, where {0} is the VS version. In Visual Studio 2017, however, this has changed, a similar question has been discussed here: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/25689/vsdiffmergeexe-is-missing.html.

I have also logged an item on our feedback portal, handling this kind of scenario: https://feedback.telerik.com/Project/154/Feedback/Details/227317-fix-winforms-converter-the-vsdiffmerge-exe-tool-cannot-be-launched-on-systems. I have also updated your Telerik points.

Also, it would be great if you can share more information on the issue with the hosted WPF controls(steps, screenshots... etc). If you mean the App Converter and not the Upgrade Wizard, hosted WPF controls are not actually supported and the tool has not been tested against them.

Please also note that support tickets are handled with a bigger priority than forum posts. In case the matter is urgent please use the ticketing system.

I hope this helps. Should you have further questions please do not hesitate to write back.

Regards,
Hristo
Progress Telerik
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular 2 components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
Bruce
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 05 Sep 2017, 04:45 PM
Hi thanks for writing back,

Sorry I wasn't clear before, these issues were specific to the App Converter, not having WPF host controls supported make sense, though having that stated in the documentation would be helpful. 

Hopefully the diffmerge reference will be fixed soon, do you know what call would look like for vs2017, if I can create the environmental variable myself, and point it to the 2017 location, I think this will work until it's fixed, and that will help greatly. 

It would be nice also, if it didn't change the encoding, as you can imagine that plays havik with repository diffs, not to mention what it does for upper end UTF-8 characters.
Hristo
Telerik team
answered on 08 Sep 2017, 08:45 AM
Hi Bruce,

Thank you for writing back.

The vsdiffmerge.exe merge tool in Visual Studio 2017 is usually located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\Team Explorer. You will also need to create one additional folder named Ide inside the Team Explorer folder Then you can copy the vsdiffmerge.exe file from the Team Explorer folder to the newly created Ide folder. You can check the attached -path.png screenshot.

Then you can create the environment variable like this:
  • Variable name: VS120COMNTOOLS
  • Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\Team Explorer\IDE

Please also check the other two screenshots showing the Edit System Variable window and the end result on my end in Visual Studio 2017.

Regarding the changed encoding, I logged an issue on the feedback portal, here: 
FIX. WinForms Converter - the converter should not change the encoding of the modified files. Your Telerik points are also updated. Additionally, you can subscribe to the item and be updated with its status changes.

I hope this information is useful. Please let me know if you have other questions.

Regards,
Hristo
Progress Telerik
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular 2 components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
Tags
Visual Studio Extensions
Asked by
Bruce
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Bruce
Top achievements
Rank 2
Hristo
Telerik team