This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Problems with Q2 2014 upgrade (Visual Studio 2013)

13 Answers 162 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Roy
Top achievements
Rank 1
Roy asked on 17 Jul 2014, 06:22 PM
I have upgraded to Q2 2014 and the install appears to work successfully. When I open my solution in visual studio and try and upgrade my project I get the following error show in attachment 1 when doing from the Telerik Menu option. And when right clicking on the project in the solution explorer there is no longer a telerik menu option to upgrade the kendo in the project.

A fix for would be greatly appreciated.

13 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Stephen
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 17 Jul 2014, 09:14 PM
There is definitely several things wrong with the VS upgrade  wizard.
When I ran it the first time, all it did was update the Kendo.Mvc.dll to the new version but it didn't update the JS and CSS folders/files or any references.
The second time I ran it, it update the references in my _Layout file, but still didn't update the JS and CSS folders/files.  So now my _Layout references files that don't actually exist because I still have the 2014.1.415 JS and CSS folders/files.
Running it subsequent times does not do any more additional updating after the second time.

I will back it all out and try again, otherwise I guess I will do it by hand this time.

This is on an MVC4 app, my VS2013 has update 2.

Carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Jul 2014, 01:23 AM
Same experience, same problem with the Upgrade Wizard for projects; it simply does not work.

The Telerik Visual Studio extensions for upgrading projects has been a recurring problem.

I have often in the past been forced to resort to manual upgrades instead of being able to use the Upgrade Wizard.

Telerik really needs to improve its "quality assurance" on this feature.
Momchil
Telerik team
answered on 18 Jul 2014, 10:42 AM
Hello guys,

I am sorry to hear that you have experienced such issues while upgrading your projects.

John, this is a new issue we haven't encountered till now. Also I did not succeed to reproduce it. Could you give it another try and then get back with information what happened. If it still does not work it will be best if you could open a ticket and send us a project reproducing the issue.

Carl, can you please provide some more information about the problem you have with the Upgrade wizard.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,
Momchil
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Stephen
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 18 Jul 2014, 01:44 PM
I've tried several times and each time it behaves the same way:
It updates the Kendo.Mvc.dll and _Layout.
It does not update Content/kendo/2014.1.415 and Scripts/kendo/2014.1.415 to 2014.2.716.
It does not copy EditorTemplates.

I submitted a support ticket with my project attached(stripped of all actual code).
The ticket number is 840983.

Thanks.
Momchil
Telerik team
answered on 21 Jul 2014, 04:16 PM
Hello John,

Thank you for opening the ticket and sending the example project to us.

Regards,
Momchil
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Francis
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Aug 2014, 01:13 PM
I have the same problem and created support ticket (850196).  The project that gets created (Telerik MVC5) does not copy the JS, CSS.  The extension behaves like the VS's MVC Project; only the project name uses Telerik's convention.
Atanas Korchev
Telerik team
answered on 19 Aug 2014, 06:47 AM
Hi Francis,

It looks that you have closed that ticket. Do you still experience problems with creating new projects?

Regards,
Atanas Korchev
Telerik

Carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Aug 2014, 01:09 AM
Yes, I can confirm that there are still problems creating new projects even with the latest Aug 22 "internal release" version of UI for ASP.Net MVC.

Simply put, it just does not work properly even though the project creation wizard reports that the project was created successfully; does not create a project that runs; bombs out with errors; and reasons are pretty obvious - it's easy to see that the creation wizard did NOT copy the kendo css files into the Content directory, nor the kendo js files into the Scripts directory.
Momchil
Telerik team
answered on 25 Aug 2014, 12:01 PM
Hi Carl,

The new version of the Telerik Visual Studio extensions for ASP.NET MVC which was released at the end of the last week should fix this issue. Could you please update your Visual Studio extensions and check if that helps.
To update your  VS extensions follow these steps:
  1. In Visual Studio open Tools -> Extensions and Updates...
  2. Select Updates -> Visual Studio Gallery view.
  3. In the list select Telerik ASP.NET MVC VSExtensions.
  4. Click Update and wait until the new version is downloaded.
  5. Click Install in the dialog of the VSIX Installer.
  6. Restart Visual Studio when prompted.

Regards,
Momchil
Telerik

Carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Aug 2014, 08:37 PM
Ok, so with the latest extension on latest Visual Studio 2013 with update 3, it now does work with a new project in a new solution.

But on my machine, it does not work with a new project added to an existing solution.  

In the latter case, the extension wizard grinds through most of the install then locks up and freezes
Momchil
Telerik team
answered on 26 Aug 2014, 12:08 PM
Hi Carl,

I was able to reproduce the issue with adding new projects to existing solutions. This is happening for solutions that are created with previous versions of VS extensions with "Add referenced assemblies to solution" option enabled.
You can fix this by following these steps:
  1. Open the solution folder in Windows Explorer through "Solution Explorer -> right click on the Solution -> Open Folder in File Explorer".
  2. Open the lib folder.
  3. Open the KENDOUIMVC folder.
  4. Open the folder named after distribution version. If for some reason you're using several different distribution versions for different projects in one solution, you'll have to do this for every distribution in the solution.
  5. Open the distribution.xml file with a text editor like Notepad.
  6. At the end of the distribution.xml file just before the closing </Distribution> element add an empty <DistributionInfo /> element.
You can also take a look at the attached pictures of all steps for easier orientation.

Please excuse us for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Momchil
Telerik

Carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Sep 2014, 03:36 AM
Just tried 2014.2 SP1 released today the 9/3 version.

Wizard did not complete even when creating a new project; causes VS 2013 update 3 to freeze and not respond...

Last message showed that the wizard was copying one of the gif files in the Black theme directory...

Sorry but I give up....  The wizard is just WAY TOO unreliable to be useful in a consistent manner.... at least in my experience on my machine
Momchil
Telerik team
answered on 05 Sep 2014, 03:16 PM
Hi Carl,

I am sorry to hear that you have experienced such issue while using our products.

In order to investigate, could you provide the following details:
  • Does the creation of the new project succeed If you change the location at which the project is created?
  • What kind of distribution are you using - installed or downloaded(hotfix)?
  • Does Visual Studio show any error? If yes please send us as much details about it as possible.

Regards,
Momchil
Telerik

Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
Roy
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Stephen
Top achievements
Rank 2
Carl
Top achievements