This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

How to upgrade to the latest Q1-2011 ?

9 Answers 93 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Akhil
Top achievements
Rank 1
Akhil asked on 04 Apr 2011, 04:04 PM

Hi...

Glad to hear that Q1-2011 is released. I think, there is an updated control that I was much awaiting for it to be released. :-)

One question. After we download the latest version of WinForms controls, how would we make changes to the apps that already uses an old version of these controls ?

Thanks

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Richard Slade
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 06 Apr 2011, 10:00 AM
Hello,

For information on application upgrades, please see this help topic
Hope that helps
Richard
Accepted
Jack
Telerik team
answered on 07 Apr 2011, 09:18 AM
Hello Akhil,

Our policy is to keep backward compatibility and to make changes in our API only when this is inevitable. Even when changes are necessary we try to keep them at the possible minimum. Your can refer to our Release Notes which should give you helpful tips regarding the breaking changes. If you have additional questions during the process of updating your application to Q1 2011, feel free to write back.

Kind regards,
Jack
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Akhil
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Apr 2011, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the help guys :-)

Why there's only a few set of themes/skins for WinForms ? I think, it is better to have some more themes (preset) with WinForms.

Also, I think it will be a good idea to showcase the user's creativity. I mean, let them post the screenshots of their applications, that uses Telerik controls.

Richard Slade
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 07 Apr 2011, 10:28 AM
Hi,

There is actually an area where users can submit case studies which really show off what can be done with Telerik Controls (link here to case studies for WinForms) plus of course you can earn Telerik points by submitting a case study.

There is also a Telerik Skins Exchange Program though this is mainly used for web based project and I don't think there's much on there at the moment for WinForms.

In addition, there is the Code Library where users can share code samples.

Hope this helps
Richard
Akhil
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Apr 2011, 10:35 AM

I should read those case studies.

I have already checked that "Telerik Skins Exchange Program". But only a single theme for Winforms ! That's what I was talking about.

sco
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Apr 2011, 04:22 AM
hello,you are good man.
erwin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Veteran
Iron
answered on 11 Apr 2011, 07:07 PM
IMHO Most commercial WinForm Apps (the typical data entry applications) don't care too much about different skins. Much more important is that all provided skins work as expected (and as closely to the current MS Office applications look and feel as possible).
Therefore I'd opt for a small number of high quality skins and fully customizable skin capabilities for those users who must develop their own skins and are willing to maintain their customizations throughout the lifecycle of their app.

Regards
Erwin
Akhil
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Apr 2011, 06:24 AM

Thanks

But when I tried to talk several business people, they all want to have application with modern interface. That modern look could give them some inspiration that they are in the path of growth and competing with the modern world. If they used to have an application that have the gray look, they feel like it's a bit of old or something like that.

So, I tried convincing them by playing with Photoshop and tried creating background images which have some appealing feel. But that's a tedious work for me. And I fear it would take off most of the development time.

So, I'm trying to figure out the best third party components which have the cool look and easy to use(I'm a beginner in VB.Net). I have tried several third party components and from all of them, Telerik WinForm components are the best (in my opinion).

Jack
Telerik team
answered on 12 Apr 2011, 02:35 PM
Hello Akhil,

Thank you for your feedback. Our research shows that Erwin is correct - over 90% of users prefer a familiar user interface, i.e. one which they are familiar with. This is why we are focused most on MS Office-like themes, which are both modern and fresh.

We will nevertheless add more themes in the future. If you decide to create a custom theme, we will appreciate it if you decide to share it with us.

All the best,
Jack
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Akhil
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Richard Slade
Top achievements
Rank 2
Jack
Telerik team