This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Could not successfully create all performance counters

7 Answers 21 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Greg
Top achievements
Rank 1
Greg asked on 07 Jul 2015, 04:55 PM

After installing JustTrace on my Win 7 64 bit machine I have been unable to use the memory profiler.  Each time I try to run our application within the profiler, I receive the message "Could not successfully create all performance counters".  Two of my colleagues can run it with no problems on similar machines.

I have tried running CleanRegistryKeys_x64.reg and re-registering the counters with unlodctr and lodctr, no difference.

There is no "DisablePerformanceCounters" key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\.NETFramework\Performance.

I've run out of ideas on how to fix this so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Kaloyan
Telerik team
answered on 10 Jul 2015, 10:19 AM
Hello Greg,

Thank you for contacting us.

Could you please check if the steps from this JustTrace forum post will help you out? Please, let me know if you will require further assistance.

Regards,
Kaloyan
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Greg
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Jul 2015, 08:46 PM

Kaloyan,

Thanks for your reply.  I had already read through that post and tried the various suggestions, but still had the same result.  I have not tried enabling the performance counters with Exctrlst.exe or rebuilding them manually, since they do not seem to be disabled.  I have tried unlodctr and lodctr (with and without /r) multiple times and all seemed to run successfully - same message when running JustTrace.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling JustTrace but still have the same result.

Kaloyan
Telerik team
answered on 16 Jul 2015, 12:45 PM
Hi Greg,

I think it will be best if we first understand where the issue actually is. For that purpose, can you please follow the next steps in order to check that the performance counters really work on your side:

1. Go to the Windows Start menu type perfmon and hit Enter. This will run the Performance Monitor, as we will use it to check that indeed the performance counters work on your side.

2. There, navigate to the "Performance Monitor" from the tree list and right click on the graph. Then click on  "Add Counters.."

3. Once inside the Add Counters window, go to ".NET CLR Memory" in the available counters list, select all of them and press Add, then confirm with OK.
4. Run any .net program (Visual Studio for example) and observe if Performance Monitors reads the changed values of the counters.
5. Tell us what happened!

I am looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Kaloyan
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Greg
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Jul 2015, 01:54 PM

Kaloyan,

After following your instructions and then starting Visual Studio, Performance Monitor definitely shows the changed values of the counters in the graph.

​

Kaloyan
Telerik team
answered on 21 Jul 2015, 12:21 PM
Hi Greg,

Thank you for checking this for us. It means that the issue most likely resides in JustTrace, or in the profiled application. In order to determine this, can you please profile another .NET application and share the results with us. For example, you can start a memory profiling session for the DemoRayTracer.exe file. You will find it in the Libraries folder (normally, under: C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\JustTrace\Libraries) of the JustTrace installation destination.

I am looking forward to your reply. Thank you for the cooperation once again.

Regards,
Kaloyan
Telerik
Greg
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Jul 2015, 06:30 PM
JustTrace memory profiling for Demo.RayTracer.exe worked fine, no performance counter errors.
Kaloyan
Telerik team
answered on 22 Jul 2015, 02:15 PM
Hi again Greg,

Could you please share what is your application and how do you start a memory profiling session for it? It will be even better if you can share a sample app that reproduces the faulty behavior within JustTrace.

Thank you for the help once again.

Regards,
Kaloyan
Telerik
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Greg
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Kaloyan
Telerik team
Greg
Top achievements
Rank 1