This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Bugs on RadGridView 2009.3 ?

13 Answers 196 Views
GridView
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Fakhru
Top achievements
Rank 2
Fakhru asked on 17 Nov 2009, 01:06 AM
I'm testing 2009.3, in my opinion it was on right track, but some of this strange behavior bugged me.

Filtering:
    a. Sometimes filter icon appear even I set AllowFilter for Column = False
    b. End user behavior for filtering on some column type (eg. DateTimeColumn, or CheckBoxColum) sometime feels ackward,
       after user set value for DateTimeColumn there's no way user can set filter value to NULL to clear filtering.
2.    Grouping:
    a. Sometimes Group Expand/Colapse didn't show when grouping (I'm using default theme).
        (Image: Non Visible Expand-Colapse Button)
    b. Question: How can I sort column using original value (not displayed value), because I have altered Text value on CellFormating event?
3. Design Mode:
    - Many times Visual Studio (I'm using VS2008 Pro), display "Null Reference Exception" MessageBox, just close, or hang when trying to open Open Property Builder.
      (I'm binding RadGridView using BindingSource component)

13 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jack
Telerik team
answered on 18 Nov 2009, 01:28 PM
Hello Fakhru,

Thank you for your feedback. Regarding your questions:

1.a) I was not able to reproduce this issue. Please specify the exact steps to reproduce it.

1.b) Yes, currently we are working on it and we will improve the behavior in one of our upcoming releases. You can reset the date time value by using the Clear Value option from the context menu.

2.a) Please send us your project and describe in detail how to reproduce this issue. This will help us locate the issue and find a proper solution.

2.b) The sorting is always done by using the cell value stored in the data layer. The Text value of GridCellElement is not relevant in this case.

3. Yes we know about several issues related with RadGridView property builder. Currently, we are working on a new, improved version that will address all known issues.

I hope this helps. Should you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Regards,
Jack
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Matthew Green
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Nov 2009, 10:19 PM
I would like to join in on the same problem that Fakhru has pointed out:

3. Design Mode:
    - Many times Visual Studio (I'm using VS2008 Pro), display "Null Reference Exception" MessageBox, just close, or hang when trying to open Open Property Builder.
      (I'm binding RadGridView using BindingSource component)

Some collections seem to be a bit edgy and will most likely hang after a few edits (sometimes disapears and reapears a short while later, more likely to just hang), however a gradual edit in the property manager and saving quite often seems to get through it though slowely.
One collection in particular I havnt been able to load at all in the property builder though works fine within a normal GridView and the RadGridView (without opening the property editor). This is using a BindingSource with the collection implementing IBindingList.

Ive had the some problems with a "Null Reference Exception" may have been "Null value Exception" but cant quite remember but does often resolve itself after changing the binding source to None then back to the correct Binding Source.

The tool is quite useful especially when working with child collections so it would be good to know how to use it how it was intended without it causing the problems

New questions
  1. Is there any recommendation / practice / things to avoid (or hide) in the collection which could be causing these problems?
  2. How is it that the multi column cobo box that uses the same property builder appears to be more responsive but has yet to cause any problems performing similar tasks?

I'll Try creating a light sample project tomorrow to see if the problem persists there also.

Update:
  1. Unloading and reloading the projects to the solution seems to have fixed the property builder though im not sure if that were the exact fix -- currently the property loader is working now for the object that refused to load yesterday

More Errors

This error is produced on one machine and not replicated on my other (where DocumentElements is a child collection within PatientDocuments)
  1. Original error: Error invoking 'Open Property Builder'. Details: Property accessor 'DocumentElements' on object '... xyz.PatientDocuments' threw the following exception:'Sequence contains no elements'
  2. The form disapears when clicking twice on the same checkbox in a row for each column in the property designer

If i can create a sub project where it decides not to work (last attempt works fine) i will upload also.

Best Regards,
Matthew Green
Fakhru
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 19 Nov 2009, 06:34 AM
I have upload the Project here: SampleProject
Jack
Telerik team
answered on 23 Nov 2009, 09:08 AM
Hi Fakhru,

Thank you for sending your project. I confirm the issues. I logged them in our bug tracking system and we will try to address them for our upcoming service pack. I updated your Telerik points too.

Matthew, the new property builder for RadGridView is almost ready and we hope to be able to release it with our upcoming service pack. It will solve a lot issues.

Regards,
Jack
the Telerik team

Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Fakhru
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 04 Dec 2009, 11:56 AM
Hi, is this bugs fixed in 2009.3 1203  (dec 3 2009)?
Jack
Telerik team
answered on 08 Dec 2009, 09:10 AM
Hello Fakhru,

Issues one and two are addressed. We also updated the property builder with a new version, however I can't confirm that the reported issue is addressed in this release. Could you please confirm whether it appears in Q3 SP1. If yes, could you send us your project, so we can test and locate the issue. I am looking forward to your reply.

Best wishes,
Jack
the Telerik team

Fakhru
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 08 Dec 2009, 12:48 PM
Thx...
It's seems like those bugs fixed in 2009.3 SP1 release.

But maybe I have encountered another bugs in RadGridView Theme.
When I set AutoSizeRow=True and WrapText=True, it work fine in Default Theme, not in Vista Theme.
Here the example: Example.zip

And another thing, is this by design that we can change how Checkbox/Image column vertical and horizontal align?
Because it always rendered in middle-center of row?

Best Regards,
Fakhru Rahman
Jack
Telerik team
answered on 09 Dec 2009, 09:29 AM
Hi Fakhru,

Yes, I confirm that the issue exists. It looks like it is related to the font used in the Vista theme. I logged it in our public issue tracking system and it will be addressed in one of our upcoming releases. Your Telerik points are updated.

You can work around the issue by changing the font. Here is a sample:

void radGridView1_CellFormatting(object sender, Telerik.WinControls.UI.CellFormattingEventArgs e)
{
     e.CellElement.Font = new Font("Segoe UI", 8, FontStyle.Regular);           
}

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Greetings,

Jack
the Telerik team

Jack
Telerik team
answered on 09 Dec 2009, 09:39 AM
Hello Fakhru,

I forgot to update your Telerik points. Now they are updated.

Regards,
Jack
the Telerik team

Fakhru
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 21 Dec 2009, 07:18 AM
Hi,
I tested, RadGridView filtering seems doesn't work with this string: " , < , > (maybe theres more, I dont test all keyboard char, :P).
Nick
Telerik team
answered on 21 Dec 2009, 08:43 AM
Hello Fakhru,

You are correct, these are parts of a filtering expression. You can find a list of all such strings here.

Greetings,
Nick
the Telerik team

Fakhru
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 21 Dec 2009, 10:13 AM
My bad, didn't read RadGridView doc that deep, :P.
So how do I use " as filter, if I have a list of product like this, to filter:

Name                               Qty
LCD LG 14"                       2
CPU Intel Core 2 8400     1

Best Regards,
Fakhru Rahman
Nick
Telerik team
answered on 21 Dec 2009, 12:10 PM
Hello Fakhru,

Unfortunately, you cannot circumvent that in the current edition, but we will make sure that this is possible in the next edition - Q1 2010.

All the best,
Nick
the Telerik team

Tags
GridView
Asked by
Fakhru
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Jack
Telerik team
Matthew Green
Top achievements
Rank 1