Today we will be uploading a new build with all the known defects fixed (I will notify you in this thread). Also I will be putting a blog how one should use the new designer in mixed environments (with mapping done by a previous version). Until that happens here are few suggestions about what needs to be done and how:
1. Problem: Designer templates are not showing in the "Add New Item" dialog.
Currently we install in LocaleID folder 1033, so only VS with US-English settings is able to pickup the template.
Resolution: That is fixed and will be uploaded today. In the meanwhile yo can go to the templates folder: (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\Data\1033), find the EntityDiagrams.zip, and move it one folder up (outside the LocaleID folder). That should fix the issue (You will probably have to run devenv / installvstemplates from the command line if they are not registered properly).
2. Problem: I am having problems with references in my projects.
We separated the Win and Web UI into separate assemblies out of Telerik.OpenAccess - so you will end up with more assemblies (that may be the reason for datasources in win and web to stop working).
Solution: Please run the CheckSettings wizard, available under the Telerik>OpenAccess>Configuration.
3. Can I use the new designer with mappings and code, in a single project, produce by previous versions of OpenAccess?
No, this is not recommended because of the following reasons:
1. ProjectEnable, Schema and Ehancer tools. They are changed for the new designer to operate, but have in parallel version used by the older projects. You cannot mix them together because the result would be probably that the new enhancer will try to enhance the older project and will fail to detect the persistent classes.
Best practice: If the project is enhanced with previous version of OpenAccess, please do not add the new designer files to this project.
Solution: If after removing the designer files problem still occurs, try to unload the project, open it in XML editor, scroll to the bottom and remove the following line (or similar):
- Save, reload and the problems should be solved (that way we are removing the new enhancer from the build sequence).
4. Is the new designer substitute for the Reverse-Mapping wizard?
At the moment: YES
both because of the following reasons:
- the upgrade tool for translating older versions projects to the new designer is still no ready, so you cannot switch easily to the new functionality
- Because we are using different infrastructure (enhancer, automation, etc.) one should not mix both together in the same project (compilation and build problems, unexpected behaviors in runtime)
- We suggest using the new designer in new projects, not for upgrading projects done with previous versions. Currently the scope of the designer is for small to medium size projects (When we release a full-fledged round-tripping designer later this year, we will cover all scenarios).
- The new designer should not be added to a project that contains forward mapping as well (for that matter should not be added to a project 'enabled' by a previous version of OpenAccess, because this exactly sets the used infrastructure).
5. Why are my datasources not working anymore?
If all went well (pgrade via CheckSettings dialog, etc.) The datasources should be usable in projects that are developed with previous versions of OpneAccess. Currently we don't have a datasource compatible with the new designer - we are still working on it (will be available for the first SP or even earlier).
P.S. I will try to add all Q&A s in this thread, and later one we will put a blog/KB out of it.
All the best,
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans?
Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed?
Telerik Public Issue Tracking
system and vote to affect the priority of the items.