This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS2012 Express and Telerik Controls

6 Answers 827 Views
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Dario
Top achievements
Rank 2
Dario asked on 17 Sep 2012, 12:15 PM
Hi to all,
how can I install into visual studio 2012 Express for Web, telerik controls?

After using Telerik Panel Installer I don't found any reference of Telerik on Visual Studio MenĂ¹.

HELP!!

Bye

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 17 Sep 2012, 03:50 PM
Hi,

Thank you for contacting us.

Telerik VS extensions don't support Visual Studio Express edition thus you can't get the Telerik menu in Express Visual Studio. You can still use the RadControls in Visual Studio Express. You can manually add RadControls to the Toolbox using the 'Choose Items...' dialog (right-click the Toolbox). You can also manually add reference in your project by browsing to the location where Telerik assemblies are placed.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,
Petar
the Telerik team

Time to cast your vote for Telerik! Tell DevPro Connections and Windows IT Pro why Telerik is your choice. Telerik is nominated in a total of 25 categories.

Robert
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Dec 2012, 01:12 AM
Dear Petar,

I've been using Visual Studio 2008 Professional for several years.  I now want to upgrade to VS2012.  I'm trying to find out if the Professional version provides me anything significant over the Express version.

If I were just install VS2012 Express, would I be able to continuing developing with my old project?

Put another way, from what you wrote previously in this thread, it *sounds* like the only things missing in the Express version, from a Telerik perspective, is the automated integration of Telerik controls and menus in Visual Studio.  Is that it or is there more that the Express version is missing?

Please let me know when you can,

Robert
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 24 Dec 2012, 03:44 PM
Hello Robert,

As far as working with our controls goes you are correct - you should be able to take full advantage of our controls, but will not be able to take advantage of our Visual Studio Extensions (more info), automated toolbox and add reference dialog integration.

A lot of project types are supported, when using the correct Visual Studio Express editions, but not all. You should generally have no problems if your projects are just web/desktop applications.

Kind regards,
Andrey
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

Robert
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Dec 2012, 06:22 PM
Thank you, Andrey.  I will give VS2012 Express a try on my laptop first and see if I can work on my project properly with it.  If not then I'll buy the Professional version from Microsoft.

Update: The install is not going well.  I'm going to repost this outside of the Silverlight forums since I'm not using that product.
Joel R
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Dec 2013, 05:24 PM
Has Telerik reconsidered making the controls (control panel) available for 2012 express?
Dyanko
Telerik team
answered on 21 Dec 2013, 09:13 AM
Hi Joel,

Thank you for reaching us.

Our Visual Studio Extensions do not support Visual Studio Express editions, since the Visual Studio Express license agreement forbids third party extensibility.

The Telerik UI controls are fully compatible with all editions of Visual Studio. Proceeding with the installation will deploy the Telerik UI Controls and you will be able to use them, but the Telerik VSExtensions will not be integrated with the Express editions of Visual Studio.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Dyanko
Telerik
TRY TELERIK'S NEWEST PRODUCT - EQATEC APPLICATION ANALYTICS for SILVERLIGHT.
Learn what features your users use (or don't use) in your application. Know your audience. Target it better. Develop wisely.
Tags
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
Asked by
Dario
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Petar
Telerik team
Robert
Top achievements
Rank 1