This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Visual Studio Extension is not installing on Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise / Windows 10 Enterprise

4 Answers 533 Views
Report a bug
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
CETA - Centro de Estudios Tributarios
Top achievements
Rank 1
CETA - Centro de Estudios Tributarios asked on 08 Aug 2015, 02:32 PM

Hello,

During the week, ​we updated our systems to Windows 10 Enterprise and Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise. After, we downloaded the Visual Studio Extension (http://cdn.icenium.com/live/vs/AppBuilder.vsix) and we try to install it. After double click the installer on the File Explorer, it just show briefly the hourglass pointer. No window, dialog, error or action on the Visual Studio. 

Please indicate how to proceed with the installation. We need to publish some apps updates ASAP.

Attached the screenshots of the VS and Windows about windows.

Thank you

JC

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Aug 2015, 02:12 AM

After several hours of testing, I was able to install the extension... It seems to be a problem with the UAC in Windows 10 and the VSIXInstaller executable (VSIXInstaller.exe).  

The standard double click operation over a VSIX file in the File Explorer is not installing ANY Visual Studio 2015 extension. Apparently is requires administrative permissions. However, it is not possible to indicate to "install as administrator".

The only way to install the extension was executing the VSIXInstaller.exe as administrator and passing the VSIX file as parameters. To do that, follow this procedure:

1. Open a CMD window as Administrator

2. Go to Common, IDE folder of the VS 2015 installation. In my case:

CD C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE

3. Execute the installer passing the VSIX file as parameter. In my case:

VSIXInstaller.exe c:\AppBuilder.vsix

Finally, the installer will start the installation!

I hope it helps you

JC

Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Aug 2015, 02:36 AM

Currently there are two cases already reported on the Visual Studio Feedback site:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1574982
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1576068 â€‹â€‹

Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
answered on 13 Aug 2015, 06:47 AM
Hello Juan,

Thank you for sharing your experience in our forums. We will also be tracking the progress of the issue in the Visual Studio's feedback portal and I am sure that the community will appreciate you posting a solution.

Regards,
Tina Stancheva
Telerik

Visit the Telerik Verified Plugins Marketplace and get the custom Cordova plugin you need, already tweaked to work seamlessly with AppBuilder.

Tim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Jul 2016, 08:27 PM
Thank you for this solution. This was very helpful for getting an update for Testing Framework to install to VS2015.
Tags
Report a bug
Asked by
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Top achievements
Rank 1
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team