This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Visual Studio 2015 CTP6 does not generate .pdb file

15 Answers 876 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Maarten
Top achievements
Rank 2
Maarten asked on 06 Mar 2015, 12:45 PM
Hi,

I know Data Access has not been released yet for VS 2015, but I've noticed that if I build a project in Debug configuration that's using the current version of Data Access, the debug symbols (i.e. the .pdb file) are not generated.

Does anybody know of a workaround?

thanks, Maarten

15 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Kristian Nikolov
Telerik team
answered on 10 Mar 2015, 03:17 PM
Hello Maarten,

Thank you for contacting us.

As you have noted Visual Studio 2015 is currently not supported by Telerik Data Access. Therefore unexpected behavior could occur when using it.

That being said, generally, Telerik Data Access does not influence the build configuration output and it is unlikely to be the reason for the behavior you are experiencing. With this in mind we would recommend checking the build configuration of you projects and making sure that you have the correct setting for Debug Info in the Advanced Build Settings window of Visual Studio. When Debug Info is set to full or pdb-only, .pdb files should be generated.

As Visual Studio 2015 has only a Preview release, another possible reason could be an issue with Visual Studio 2015 itself.

I hope this helps. Do not hesitate to get back to us in case you have further questions.

Regards,
Kristian Nikolov
Telerik

OpenAccess ORM is now Telerik Data Access. For more information on the new names, please, check out the Telerik Product Map.

Maarten
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 10 Mar 2015, 07:15 PM
Did you even try it yourself? Telerik's first response always assumes the problem lies with the customer.

Of course I've checked the debug settings. It can very easily be reproduced: create a console application in VS2015, build and the .pdb is generated. Then go to VS2013, add a domain model, build and and the .pdb is generated. Clean the project, got to VS2015, build and no .pdb is generated.

Maarten
Kristian Nikolov
Telerik team
answered on 12 Mar 2015, 03:02 PM
Hello Maarten,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are sorry to have left you with such a negative impression.

Based on the additional information you have provided, it appears that you are creating the project in Visual Studio 2015 and using Visual Studio 2013 to add a Domain Model to the same project which would then be used again in Visual Studio 2015. Since the visual tooling and Visual Studio add-in of Telerik Data Access are not integrated with Visual Studio 2015, such scenario is not supported. This is the likely reason for the behavior you are experiencing.

As an alternative way to use Telerik Data Access with Visual Studio 2015 you can try using a Fluent Model with our NuGet packages. To get familiar with howFluent Models work, you can check out the Telerik.DataAccess.Fluent.Sample NuGet package and refer to this section of our documentation. While this approach should circumvent the incompatibility of the visual tooling and add-in, please be aware that the product is still not tested against Visual Studio 2015, and it is possible that there are issues we are not aware of.

I hope this helps. Do get back to us in case you have further questions.

Regards,
Kristian Nikolov
Telerik

OpenAccess ORM is now Telerik Data Access. For more information on the new names, please, check out the Telerik Product Map.

Maarten
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 16 Jun 2015, 11:05 AM

If anyone is interested, I found a workaround for this problem by including the following at the very end of the .csproj file:

<Target Name="BeforeBuild" Condition="'$(Configuration)' == 'DEBUG'">
  <Delete Files="obj\debug\$(ProjectName).pdb.tmp" ContinueOnError="true"/>
</Target>
<Target Name="AfterClean" Condition="'$(Configuration)' == 'DEBUG'">
  <Delete Files="bin\debug\$(ProjectName).pdb" ContinueOnError="true"/>
</Target>
<Target Name="AfterCompile" Condition="'$(Configuration)' == 'DEBUG'">
  <Copy SourceFiles="obj\debug\$(ProjectName).pdb" DestinationFiles="obj\debug\$(ProjectName).pdb.tmp" SkipUnchangedFiles="true" ContinueOnError="true"/>
</Target>
<Target Name="AfterBuild" Condition="'$(Configuration)' == 'DEBUG'">
  <Copy SourceFiles="obj\debug\$(ProjectName).pdb.tmp" DestinationFiles="bin\debug\$(ProjectName).pdb" SkipUnchangedFiles="true" ContinueOnError="true"/>
</Target>

Regards, Maarten

Maarten
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 16 Jun 2015, 03:00 PM

I was happy too soon. The workaround I found, does indeed recover the .pdb file, but the .exe is still marked as being build without debug information and debugging still does not work.

Maarten

Kristian Nikolov
Telerik team
answered on 19 Jun 2015, 01:24 PM
Hi Maarten,

We have researched the issue and it appears to be a bug on our side. A fix is in the works and we hope to make it available with our upcoming Q2 release or soon after it. We will update this thread once the fix is available. Note that the fix will be distributed only with our NuGet packages.

We are sorry for the caused inconvenience. Please find your Telerik Points updated for reporting this new issue.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions feel free to get back to us.

Regards,
Kristian Nikolov
Telerik

Check out the latest announcement about Telerik Data Access vNext as a powerful framework able to solve core development problems.
Maarten
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 26 Jun 2015, 04:32 PM

Hi Kristian,

I can confirm that the Q2 2015 version of Data Access is now working with VS 2015RC.

Thanks a lot, Maarten

Kristian Nikolov
Telerik team
answered on 02 Jul 2015, 11:57 AM
Hello Maarten,

Indeed the issue has been addressed with our Q2 release. We are glad things are working out for you.

Do get back to us in case you have any questions.

Regards,
Kristian Nikolov
Telerik

Check out the latest announcement about Telerik Data Access vNext as a powerful framework able to solve core development problems.
Jonah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Aug 2015, 06:50 PM

I am having a very similar issue, however installing the latest version didn't seem to change anything for me.

My project had been created in VS2012 and now trying to open in  VS2015 no PDB file gets generated.... been messing with this for a few days until I stumbled on this post.

Was there anything else that you had to do other than update your open access references?

Jonah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Aug 2015, 08:57 PM
I figured it out, I had to go install the Q2 version through NuGet package manager.
Maarten
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 17 Aug 2015, 09:12 PM

Hi Jonah,

Sorry for the late reply, but that was exactly what I did: I migrated to the fluent model (it works, but I'm not happy that I cannot use the visual designer any longer) and installed the latest NuGet package.

regards, Maarten

Kristian Nikolov
Telerik team
answered on 19 Aug 2015, 03:32 PM
Hello Jonah,

Thank you for contacting us.

We are glad you have resolved the situation. Indeed as mentioned by Maarten, the fix for the issue is available in our Q2 2015 release which is distributed via NuGet packages.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post at our forums again.

Regards,
Kristian Nikolov
Telerik

Mike
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Sep 2015, 05:36 PM
Thanks Maarten - your post was extremely helpful. 
Natalie
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Dec 2015, 10:57 AM

Thanks Maarten, this post solved our issue - much appreciated!

Telerik: when will 2015 Q2 be available as an msi?

Doroteya
Telerik team
answered on 16 Dec 2015, 08:09 AM
Hello Natalie,

Telerik Data Access Q2 2015 has an installer (available for download from your Telerik account). Once installed it distributes the following:
- A shortcut to the Getting Started with Data Access tutorial,
- Link to the Data Access online documentation,
- A shortcut to the API Reference folder on your local storage,
- A shortcut to Profiler and Tuning Advisor

The runtime assemblies of Data Access Q2 2015 (and the versions after it) are distributed through the NuGet packages.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further information.

Regards,
Doroteya
Telerik

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Maarten
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Kristian Nikolov
Telerik team
Maarten
Top achievements
Rank 2