This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Visual studio 2015: build failed

18 Answers 229 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Yehudah
Top achievements
Rank 1
Yehudah asked on 23 Jul 2015, 01:40 PM

Hi guys.

I have an existing project, created by VS 2013. the project contains Telerik DataAccess context.

Now, I tried to upgrade to VS 2015, but when I build the project it's failed.

The exception is:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.Fluent.MappingConfiguration.ProcessNewExpressionInternally(NewExpression newExpression)
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.Fluent.MappingConfiguration`1.MapType(Expression`1 propertyMap)
   at ...
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.Fluent.FluentMetadataSource.GetPreparedMappings()
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.Fluent.FluentMetadataSource.PrepareMappingConfigurations()
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.Fluent.FluentMetadataSource.CreateModel()
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Metadata.Fluent.FluentMetadataSource.GetModelCore(MetadataContainer old)
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Sdk.Enhancer.Enhancer.CrossDomainRunImpl(AssemblyLoader assemblyLoader)
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.Sdk.Enhancer.EnhancerBase.CrossDomainRun()

Thanks for any idea!

18 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Yehudah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jul 2015, 01:58 PM

More details:

The project is a WPF project.

.NET framework 4.5

The context is CodeOnly.

George
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jul 2015, 08:41 PM

I had noticed the same thing.  Using the Sample Fluent project, I tracked the exception to lines like this:

productConfiguration.MapType(x => new {}).ToTable("Products");

In particular, it is the x => new {} that causes the exception.  If the mapping is changed to:

productConfiguration.MapType().ToTable("Products");

OR a mapping like

productConfiguration.MapType(x => new {
  ID = x.ID
}).ToTable("Products");

It will no longer break on compile.  My guess is, there was a change .Net related to empty objects, as the code and Data Access versions were the same before and after I upgraded to vs 2015.

productConfiguration.MapType(x => new {}).ToTable("Products");

productConfiguration.MapType(x => new {}).ToTable("Products");

Doroteya
Telerik team
answered on 24 Jul 2015, 07:07 AM
Hello,

The error you experienced is expected with Visual Studio 2015, and we are aware about it. The fix will be available when the future version of Data Access introduces officially support of Visual Studio 2015. The workarounds suggested by George are those that we found out on our side as well, but currently we cannot recommend any of it. This is due to the fact that the Data Access test suite is not run against Roslyn. Therefore I cannot guarantee you the proper behaviour of the model during runtime.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you need further details.

Regards,
Doroteya
Telerik

Check out the latest announcement about Telerik Data Access vNext as a powerful framework able to solve core development problems.
Yehudah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Jul 2015, 09:01 AM

You're right!

I changed as you said, and the issue is resolved. I had to change also the mapping because MapType() is equivalent to UseDefauleMapping, and it makes a problem if I want IGNORE some property. [DataAccess does not have a NotMapped attribute like Entity framework]

Thank you very much!

Yehudah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Jul 2015, 09:18 AM

Doroteya, disappointing to hear that you do not currently support in VS. Which is a shame, because there was enough time to get ready [RC was released almost three months ago]
 Hope soon to give official support.

Thank you too!

Doroteya
Telerik team
answered on 27 Jul 2015, 08:52 AM
Hi Yehudah,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad that currently you are able to build your solution in VS 2015.

Regarding the official support of Roslyn on our side, the feature is already scheduled for implementation. I will make sure to update you once it is released.

Let me know if you need additional details.

Regards,
Doroteya
Telerik

Check out the latest announcement about Telerik Data Access vNext as a powerful framework able to solve core development problems.
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Jul 2015, 08:56 PM

Hi Doroteya, 

We, too, have projects dependent on Data Access and, without thinking there would be an issue, installed VS 2013 Update 5. Now several of our application environments are broken with respect to Data Access. The "fix" above is a band-aid and we would like to know when Telerik plans to release the official 2015 version.  Like Yehudah, we are very disappointed with Telerik. Never before has an update in Visual Studio caused such an issue with Telerik tools.  It's hard to believe a long-standing tools developer such as Telerik was blind-sided by Microsoft.  

With more than a half-dozen applications in development, it is important we have some idea as to when the official version will be released.  We are already in the process of rolling back the development environments we upgraded. I don't want to sound unreasonable as I'm sure you're actively working to provide a solution. However, at the very least, if you can let us know when the new release will be, we can plan accordingly.

Thanks,

David

Doroteya
Telerik team
answered on 30 Jul 2015, 02:27 PM
Hello David,

I am sorry for the issues you experienced.

The support for Roslyn is a priority task for us which is currently under implementation. I will make sure to update this thread when it is released.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,
Doroteya
Telerik

Brad
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Aug 2015, 08:07 PM

Hello Doroteya,

Any update on this yet?  Our development team would really like to start using VS 2015 but cannot until this is resolved so we are curious if you have an estimated date yet.

Thanks,

Brad

Ristogod
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 07 Aug 2015, 04:32 PM
How soon? Give us a ballpark guess. Saying it's priority doesn't tell me anything.
Alexander
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Aug 2015, 01:20 PM
Hello, any news to that issue. My apps are also broken since the update. Wanted to deploy next week. 
Viktor Zhivkov
Telerik team
answered on 11 Aug 2015, 03:18 PM
Hi,

A ballpack guess for compatibility with Visual Studio 2015, Roslyn and .Net 4.6 is the end of October 2015. 
This should be considered as rough guess and we may delay further the delivery of the next Telerik Data Access version.

Regards,
Viktor Zhivkov
Telerik

Thomas
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Dec 2015, 10:05 PM

the last forum message is know 5 months ago.:(((

i have the same issue now swithing project to vs2015 and it looks like nothing was solved yet on telerik side.

is this the new support sla with progress ?

any recommendation now , should i change to a different ORM ?

Yehudah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 Dec 2015, 03:45 PM

Yes, go to EntityFramework 7. This ORM is the future.

Telerik DataAccess no longer developed.

Doroteya
Telerik team
answered on 05 Jan 2016, 01:29 PM
@Thomas,

The support for Visual Studio 2015 was officially released with Data Access Q3 2015. To consume it on your side you need to install either the latest (2015.3.1221.1) or the 2015.3.926.1 version of the Fluent NuGet package.

@Yehudah,

Thank you for your input.

In fact, we are not stopping the development of Telerik Data Access. Moreover, a few weeks ago we released its Q3 2015 version. 

I hope you find this feasible.

Regards,
Doroteya
Telerik

Thomas
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Jan 2016, 09:25 PM

Hi , thanks a Lot.

I tried now ef7 3 days but its so complex to Set ist up :(((( mixed Versionen Dokumentation is Not there ... 

i will give Data Access a Second try and Hope ist will work. 

Regards 

Thomas
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Feb 2016, 10:58 PM

Hi , ok it compiled But

doesn´t work as before :((((

in the Debugger it failed on Step like

Any Idea what is maybe wrong here ?

thanx br

public IQueryable<Claim> Claims
        {
            get
            {
                return this.GetAll<Claim>();
            }
        }

{"Both types,'ProjectModel.Aspect','ProjectModelModel.Aspect',participating in a bi-directional association are explicitly set to be persisted after each other. This is an invalid setup."}

And the Stack

bei OpenAccessRuntime.ExceptionWrapper.Throw()
   bei OpenAccessRuntime.storagemanager.StorageManagerFactoryBuilder.createSmfForURL()
   bei OpenAccessRuntime.storagemanager.StorageManagerFactoryBuilder.createStorageManagerFactory()
   bei OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.PersistenceManagerFactoryImp.createStorageManagerFactory()
   bei OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.PersistenceManagerFactoryBase.init()
   bei OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.PersistenceManagerFactoryImp.init()
   bei OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.BootstrapPMF.getPersistenceManagerFactory(PropertySet props)
   bei OpenAccessRuntime.Helper.getPersistenceManagerFactory(PropertySet props)
   bei OpenAccessRuntime.DatabaseAdapter.AssertPersistenceManagerFactory(String usr, String password, Boolean open)
   bei OpenAccessRuntime.DatabaseAdapter.GetObjectScope(TransactionProvider provider)
   bei Telerik.OpenAccess.Database.GetObjectScope(TransactionProvider provider)
   bei Telerik.OpenAccess.OpenAccessContextBase.GetScope()
   bei Telerik.OpenAccess.OpenAccessContext.GetAllCore[T]()
   bei Telerik.OpenAccess.OpenAccessContext.GetAll[T]()
   bei ProjectModel.GapJunctionEntitiesModel.get_Claims() in D:\Projekte\ANARIZ\VStudio\Project\ProjectModel\EntitiesModel.cs:Zeile 1003.
   bei ProjectApplication.ViewModels.ClaimListViewModel.EntityObj(ProjectEntitiesModel context) in D:\Projekte\ANARIZ\VStudio\Project\ProjectApplication\ViewModels\Generated\ClaimListViewModel.generated.cs:Zeile 59.
   bei ProjectInfrastructure.ViewModel.ProjectViewModelGrid`4.RetrieveData() in D:\Projekte\ANARIZ\VStudio\Project\ProjectInfrastructure\ViewModel\ProjectViewModelGrid.cs:Zeile 314.
   bei ProjectInfrastructure.ViewModel.ProjectViewModelGrid`4.OnNavigatedTo(NavigationContext navigationContext) in D:\Projekte\ANARIZ\VStudio\Project\ProjectInfrastructure\ViewModel\ProjectViewModelGrid.cs:Zeile 175.
   bei Prism.Regions.RegionNavigationService.<>c__DisplayClass28_0.<ExecuteNavigation>b__0(INavigationAware n)
   bei Prism.Common.MvvmHelpers.ViewAndViewModelAction[T](Object view, Action`1 action)
   bei Prism.Regions.RegionNavigationService.ExecuteNavigation(NavigationContext navigationContext, Object[] activeViews, Action`1 navigationCallback) 

Thomas
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Feb 2016, 11:56 PM
ok forget , i found the bug. There was a self reference and the model doesn´t like it.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Yehudah
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Yehudah
Top achievements
Rank 1
George
Top achievements