This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

ScheduleView and TileView used in Lightswitch will no work with Visual Studio 2012

8 Answers 101 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Cliff McManus
Top achievements
Rank 1
Cliff McManus asked on 01 Nov 2012, 12:10 PM
I know I must be doing something wrong, as the Telerik silverlight controls have been tested with VS 2012.
I have an existing Lightswitch application that has two telerik controls in it, RadScheduleView and RadTileview. Lets first talk about the Tileview. I am using this a s menu system.  When a tile is selected I capture the click event on the radTileView code behind and then call a method in the lightswitch menu screen to load the proper screen. THis has been working great for over  a year using Telerik controls for  third quarter 2011.

I have upgraded to VS 2012, converted the LS app to use the new version (Silverlight 5), converted all references in my LS app to use the third quarter 2012 Telerik silverlight controls. All I get is a white screen when the applicaiton starts and attempts to load the RadTileView control.  Even when I place a break point in the codebehind for the app on the load event I do not get to the breakpoint.  The Telerik controls are found in the Client project of Lightswitch.

Are there things I need to specifically do to convert my application to work?

Thanks
Cliff

8 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
answered on 06 Nov 2012, 01:46 PM
Hi Cliff,

I am not really sure what is causing the issue and how you've buid your applicaiton. However, please note that in order to add a custom control in a LightSwitch screen, you need to define the control in a separate library. So for example, if you create a UserControl in a SilverlightClassLibrary and you define a RadTileView in it, you can add it to any of your LightSwitch screens.

I attached a sample solution demonstrating this approach. Please note that I'm referencing the latest Telerik regular assemblies and check to see whether your solution references our normal or no-xaml assemblies.

Also, let me know if this is the approach you're following with the RadScheduleView and if it isn't please try defining the ScheduleView in a SL class library. If it still doesn't work, please modify my solution to demonstrate your issues accordingly.

Regards,
Tina Stancheva
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

Cliff McManus
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Nov 2012, 10:54 PM
Tina
Thanks for the response. I had a working application using VS2010 and Telerik controls from Q3 2011. I upgraded to VS 2012 and changed all of the references to Telerik Controls for Q3 2012. I did create a separate library for the telerik controls. The Tileview control is working properly but for the life of me I cannot get the Schedule view to compile.

The code behind contunues to bark about the RadScheduleViewControl stating "Extension method must be defined in a Non-generic Static Class"  
Code Behind snippit
namespace LightSwitchApplication {

public partial class RadScheduleViewControl : UserControl (Extension method must be defined.....error)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other error is the RadScheduleViewModel does not exist in the namespace "clr-namespace:LightSwitchApplication. 
<UserControl x:Class="LightSwitchApplication.RadScheduleViewControl"
   xmlns:local="clr-namespace:LightSwitchApplication"
   xmlns:local2="clr-namespace:ScheduleView.DragDrop"
   xmlns:scheduleView="clr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.Controls;assembly=Telerik.Windows.Controls.ScheduleView"
   xmlns:treeDrag="clr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.DragDrop.Behaviors;assembly=Telerik.Windows.Controls"
   xmlns:mscontrols="clr-namespace:System.Windows.Controls;assembly=System.Windows"
   xmlns:dragDropBehaviors="clr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.DragDrop.Behaviors;assembly=Telerik.Windows.Controls"
   xmlns:dragdrop="clr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.DragDrop;assembly=Telerik.Windows.Controls"
mc:Ignorable="d"
   d:DesignHeight="640"
  d:DesignWidth="955" >

<UserControl.Resources>
        <local:RadScheduleViewModel x:Key="ViewModel" />

Here is the View model
namespace LightSwitchApplication
{
    public class RadScheduleViewModel : ViewModelBase, INotifyPropertyChanged

I am not a professional developer I developed in the 80s and 90s but always for winforms never for XAML based systems.
I can post more if that will help.
Cliff

Yana
Telerik team
answered on 14 Nov 2012, 02:28 PM
Hi Cliff,

You are right about the ScheduleView  - note that there are some differences in Lightswitch in VS 2012 and VS 2010 and the old application cannot be directly upgraded. We will need some additional time to investigate this and to find the best way how to use RadScheduleView with databases in Lightswitch in  Visual Studio 2012. Once we have an example, we will upload it.

Please take our apology for any inconvenience caused.

All the best,
Yana
the Telerik team

burak
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Jan 2013, 02:14 PM
is there any news on how to make telerik radscheduleview work with Visual Studio 2012. 

Microsoft changed how lightswitch works on VS2012. Now you have to create a custom controls in seperate project. Your current tutorial for integrating this control references entity classes to load it into to control itself. But I cant reference entity classes of LIghtswitch Application from a seperate project. Any ideas on how to tackle this problem?

Octavio
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Jan 2013, 01:00 AM
hello , are the some news about the example with a radScheduler and Lightswitch 2012?
Thanks In advance
Stephen Rouse
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Jan 2013, 09:57 AM
Any update on this? I am having a problem with RadScheduleView in Lightswitch 2012, I have tried the tutorials and this has not heped me. I am close to purchasing a rival product as I need this fanctionality in the project I am working on at the moment, I would prefer to use the tools I already have purchased.
Yana
Telerik team
answered on 14 Jan 2013, 02:04 PM
Hello,

I have attached to this thread a sample project which demonstrates how you can get the appointments from the LightSwitch database and add them to the ScheduleView.

Note that in order to use the LightSwitch Data in the SIlverlight Class Library, you should add a reference to Application.Common.dll located in the LightSwitch project folder, then Client/bin folder.

You can use the project as a base and extend it further, so that you can create, edit and remove appointments.

Greetings,
Yana
the Telerik team

Stephen Rouse
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jan 2013, 03:11 PM
Hi Yana,

I eventually figured it out, well in a solution that I can use for the project. I will look at the sample you have created and attached for me.

Thank you for that.

Steve

P.S.
I have tested your solution and it works fine, it is implemented slightly differently from mine, more elegantly as well, but it also gives me a pointer to future integration of Telerik Controls and Lightswitch.Plus you have saved me the money for the purchase of another vendors product to overcome the timescales I currently have.

Thank You again.

Steve

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Cliff McManus
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
Cliff McManus