Proxy not working with Java RestEasy client

3 posts, 0 answers
  1. Mark
    Mark avatar
    2 posts
    Member since:
    Jul 2014

    Posted 23 Jul 2014 Link to this post

    I've just installed Fiddler2 on a Windows 7 Enterprise system. On our network is running an application server providing REST methods.
    I'm connecting to that server with a Java client application using RestEasy. This connects fine and sends an HTTP REST request.

    I have set the proxy settings in the application's VM settings (-DproxySet=true -Dhttp.proxyHost= -Dhttp.proxyPort=8888) but when I attempt the connection it seems to go right through to the server and is not intercepted by Fiddler.

    I even tried setting the proxy port to a bad value, but the request still goes through, so I'm thinking it is a RestEasy issue.
    I have another Java client application which also makes a REST method call, but doesn't use RestEasy, and it is intercepted by Fiddler just fine.

    Do you know what I need to do to get my Java RestEasy requests to be intercepted by Fiddler2?

  2. Eric Lawrence
    Eric Lawrence avatar
    833 posts

    Posted 24 Jul 2014 Link to this post

    Hello, Mark--

    It sounds like the APIs in question are not properly using the configured proxy settings, which would be a bug in that API. Have you reported this problem to the owner/maintainer of this API?

    (And just to confirm, if this is a HTTPS request, you've configured Java to trust Fiddler's certificate and have enabled HTTPS decryption in Fiddler).

    Eric Lawrence

    Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

  3. Mark
    Mark avatar
    2 posts
    Member since:
    Jul 2014

    Posted 24 Jul 2014 in reply to Eric Lawrence Link to this post

    Yes, I think that when using RestEasy, it handles proxy settings differently. I wasn't able to figure out how to get this to work, so I had to not use Fiddler in this particular case. I was able to determine the root cause of my original problem however, so all is good.
Back to Top