Pie Chart

5 posts, 1 answers
  1. Darin
    Darin avatar
    11 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 Link to this post

The question I have is how would I go about adding slice styles to the pie chart programmatically.  Every time I try to do so I get a 'Catastrophic Error' exception.  I'm trying to implement this control into a Windows Phone 8 app. 
  2. Victor
    Admin
    Victor avatar
    1351 posts

Hello Darin,

Can you please post the code snippet that you use to add slice styles?

Kind regards,
    Victor
    the Telerik team
    Have a suggestion or face a problem - you can use the Ideas & Feedback portal to submit ideas, feedback and vote for them.
  3. DevCraft banner
  4. Darin
    Darin avatar
    11 posts

Yeah, so here are some snippets of code below:

XAML:
    <Grid.Resources>
          <Style x:Key="BasePieStyle" TargetType="Path" x:Name="BasePieStyle">               
    <
    Setter Property="StrokeThickness" Value="2"/>
            <Setter Property="Stroke" Value="{StaticResource PhoneForegroundBrush}"/>
          </Style>
    </Grid.Resources>

C#:
    for (int i = 0; i < benchmarkCount; i++)
    {
          Style style1 =
    new Style();
          style1.BasedOn = BasePieStyle;                
          style1.TargetType =
    typeof(PropertyPath);
          Setter setter1 =
    new Setter();
          setter1.Property = DependencyProperty.Register(
    "Fill", typeof(SolidColorBrush), typeof(PieSeries), new PropertyMetadata((SolidColorBrush)App.Current.Resources["PhoneAccentBrush"]));
          setter1.Value = (SolidColorBrush)App.Current.Resources["PhoneAccentBrush"];
          style1.Setters.Add(setter1);

this.pieTimesCompleted.Series[0].SliceStyles.Add(style1);
    }

So in the example that was provided in the trial download it looks like you guys have a static number of slice styles, which is 6.  And then you add the percents as an itemssource like below:

this.pieTimesCompleted.Series[0].ItemsSource = new double[] { 10, 20, 15, 5, 35, 15 };

However, I have an x number of slices and I need to add that number of slicestyles to my pie chart.  X being benchmarkCount in this example.   When it goes to render the pie chart that's when I get the catastrophic error.  I took the example you guys provided and just tried to take out the slice style definition from the xaml and put it in the C# with no luck.
  5. Answer
    Victor
    Admin
    Victor avatar
    1351 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 Link to this post

Hi Darin,

There are two lines in the C# that are not equivalent to the XAML lines.
    First your are setting the target type to PropertyPath which has nothing to do with the Path type. PropertyPath is a part of the dependency property system of Silverlight while Path is a UIElement that can rendered on screen. The target type should be typeof(Path).

Second you are dynamically registering a completely new property with the same name and type as the original Fill property and are then setting the owner type to be PieSeries. You should not create a new property but simply provide the existing one which is Path.FillProperty.

Regards,
    Victor
    the Telerik team
    Have a suggestion or face a problem - you can use the Ideas & Feedback portal to submit ideas, feedback and vote for them.
  6. Darin
    Darin avatar
    11 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 Link to this post

Awesome thanks!  That worked!
DevCraft banner