This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

inherited openaccess asp.net webform app - possible to run on visual studio express

2 Answers 26 Views
Getting Started
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
john
Top achievements
Rank 1
john asked on 19 Nov 2014, 10:11 PM
I have inherited an existing asp.net web form app that uses teleriks openacess and kendoUI and been asked to maintain.

I must admit I have limited experience with ASP.net mainly been a desktop dev, so a lot of this is a bit alien to me.

Anyway, been struggling to get the site to run locally, current exception:

Cannot find resource EntitiesModel.rlinq embedded in
assembly 

Although this file is in the project and contains all the auto generated db entity information

I have done some work with ASP.Net mvc and the EF framework recently, so. my latest avenue of investigation was that I need to run code first / model first routines to actually generate the database. This led me to some articles saying to do this I have to run the visual designer, then I found out it is not available in Visual Studio Express, which is what I use.

Am I heading in the right direction here? If so, it will not be possible for me to generate the database, thus I cannot work on this project?

Or am I completely wrong and it should be possible to get the site working locally?

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
john
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Nov 2014, 10:13 PM
sorry, my first post displayed an error so I didn't think it posted, I then posted this thread again and realised the 1st post did go through.

Please delete this thread (or ignore or whatever)

Original post
http://www.telerik.com/forums/inherited-openaccess-asp-net-webform-app---possible-to-run-on-visual-studio-express

Doroteya
Telerik team
answered on 24 Nov 2014, 09:51 AM
Hi John,

Thank you for your interest in Telerik Data Access and for contacting us.

In general, Telerik Data Access and Visual Studio Express do not work together out-of-the-box. The End User License Agreement (EULA) of Visual Studio Express does not allow third party extensions to to be registered. This means that the Visual Studio integration of Data Access (Visual Designer, project templates, tools, and wizards) is unavailable with Visual Studio Express.

With this in mind, if the next few points are met, the error you see will be fixed, you will be able to successfully run the app you maintain, and you will be able to make changes in the ASP.NET project. However, you will not be able to modify the .rlinq file:
1. Visual Studio Express is installed on the machine.
2. Data Access is installed on the machine.
3. The .csproj/.vbproj file of the class library with the .rlinq file contains the following statement (a step-by-step guide about this is available here):
<Import Condition="Exists('$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\OpenAccess.targets')" Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\OpenAccess.targets" />

Regarding the creation of new projects that use Telerik Data Access in Visual Studio Express, I would suggest to you to use the code-only mapping approach and our NuGet packages. In this case, you will have full control over the data access layer, you will be able to consume all the features of Data Access through code, but you will heave to manually type the code.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you need further information or assistance.

Regards,
Doroteya
Telerik

OpenAccess ORM is now Telerik Data Access. For more information on the new names, please, check out the Telerik Product Map.

Tags
Getting Started
Asked by
john
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
john
Top achievements
Rank 1
Doroteya
Telerik team