In order to use the 'social' authentication providers, the respective providers require that you have a registered app with them. When such is registered, the social providers will issue an App ID (Facebook), Client ID (Google, Live), Consumer key and Consumer secret (Twitter). In the AppBuilder's "sample-facebook-api"
, the client_id
must be set with the value of the App ID
In order to use social authentication for a Telerik Backend Services project, you can use an AppBuilder Friends sample project. Also, you can refer to the Telerik Backend Services "Hybrid Friends sample app" and "Hybrid OAuth sample app" available for download here. Please, note that in order to authenticate users from OAuth providers in a Telerik Backend Services project, this feature should be enabled via the 'User authentication' tab from the "Settings" menu. In addition, the 'Social login' feature in Telerik Backend Services is subject to a 'Professional' tier subscription or higher.
Below are some instructions on how to register App ID/Client IDs with social providers.
- Go to https://developers.facebook.com/ > Apps > Create new app. Note that there is no need to target a concrete platform(Web, iOS, Android, etc.) in order to test the social login feature of the project.
- Enter the provisioned by Facebook App ID into settings.js (for the "AppBuilder Friends project") or into main.js (for the "sample-facebook-api" project).
- Leave the redirectUri to point out to 'https://www.facebook.com/connect/login_success.html'.
- Go to https://cloud.google.com/console/project > Create project.
- After the project is created choose APIs and auth > Credentials > Create Client ID for web application from the left navigation pane
- Set the Redirect URIs to, for example: http://localhost
- Enter the client ID into the AppBuilder project and make sure that the redirectUri matches the Redirect URIs entered into the credentials input.
- Head to https://account.live.com/developers/applications/index
- Create an application and check the 'Yes' radio button for Mobile client app.
- Enter the Client ID in the 'Friends' project's settings.js and make sure that the redirectUri points to 'https://login.live.com/oauth20_desktop.srf'.
Also, you can review Telerik Backend Services documentation section
on this topic.
The official developer documentation for the OAuth providers is available at the following links:
Icenium is now Telerik AppBuilder
, and is part of the Telerik Platform
. For more information on the new name, and to learn more about the Platform, register for the free online keynote and webinar
on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 11:00 a.m. ET (8:00 a.m. PT)