device object undefined?

4 posts, 2 answers
  1. Answer
    Dave
    Dave avatar
    14 posts
    Member since:
    Sep 2013

    Posted 31 Oct 2013 Link to this post

    Hi.  Just updated with the October release.  Suddenly I'm getting an error that tells me that the device object is undefined.  How can I tell anything about the device now?

    Thanks.
  2. Answer
    Dave
    Dave avatar
    14 posts
    Member since:
    Sep 2013

    Posted 31 Oct 2013 Link to this post

    Answering my own question - I had turned off the Device plugin.  Duh.
  3. him
    him avatar
    1 posts
    Member since:
    Oct 2014

    Posted 26 Mar 2015 Link to this post

    I encounter the similar issues as Dave, after being force auto-update the appbuilder, all my core plugin have been disabled. But thanks for this post, I have checked the plugin and re-enable them all, and now all problem have sorted by itself.

    I think telerik need to let people know that each update it will remove all the core plugin, and have to reenable them all again, or somehow preverse people's core plugin setting.

    Because people don't expect the core plugin will auto-removed after update. Also for a developer point of view, each update become a pain in the butt, as it requre to put the core plugin back on for all the app we created, and then have to re-submit them. (Talking about 10+ app, plus have to rememeber what plugin is used for each app, so that it can re-enable them after update).




  4. Tina Stancheva
    Admin
    Tina Stancheva avatar
    3298 posts

    Posted 31 Mar 2015 Link to this post

    Hi Him,

    We addressed these concerns in the support ticket you submitted, but I will still use the opportunity to summarize the information here for the community.

    We have seen a similar issue in the Windows and VS clients of AppBuilder when saving a change in the project properties of a project will reset all plugins. We have already addressed the issue and a fix will be available with our upcoming 2.9 release due in April.

    I am not sure if you have encountered the same issue and if you feel the case is different, it would greatly help us if you can share the exact steps that led to the reported behavior on your side.

    As for the AppBuilder updates - in Visual Studio you can choose to ignore an update since this client can work, let's say, somewhat separately from the cloud services. At the same time, the Windows and In-Browser AppBuilder clients are closely coupled with the cloud services since they actually work on the cloud - the projects are stored and build on the cloud. This is the reason why these clients have to be updated along with any cloud service update. I would even recommend keeping the Visual Studio AppBuilder extension updated to ensure it takes full advantage and works smoothly with the latest update of the Telerik Platform cloud services.

    Regards,
    Tina Stancheva
    Telerik
     

    Visit the Telerik Verified Plugins Marketplace and get the custom Cordova plugin you need, already tweaked to work seamlessly with AppBuilder.

     
Back to Top