Couldn't find the ReportBook control in TelerikReporting Q1 2014

2 posts, 0 answers
  1. Kunal Bagga
    Kunal Bagga avatar
    26 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 Link to this post

I am using version of Telerik.Reporting Dll. For one of our requirements we need to use Telerik Report Books. I couldn't find the ReportBook control in my report tool box and I couldn't find the Telerik.Reporting.ReportBook dll in the folder where I installed my Telerik. For your convenience, I have attached my recent ToolBox list. Can you guys help me with this
  2. Nasko
    Nasko avatar
    909 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 Link to this post

Hello Kunal,

The Report Book is not a report item and as such it doesn't have a corresponding Toolbox item. In order to use it you have to create a new report book object in your application, add reports to the object's report collection, and then display it in the Report Viewer.

You can gather multiple reports in a Report Book, which will be displayed and processed as a single document at once. The Report Book online documentation can be found here: Report Book help. There you can find general information on how to use a Report Book, what is its purpose and some specific things like paging and passing parameters. There is also a section describing how to use the Report Book at run-time. This is the part that can be useful when the component is used within your application.

In the following code snippet a Report Book is created and a report is assigned to it and this is done in the application. The developer has the option to modify the report definitions/data sources etc., before adding it to the Report Book:

Using a class containing the report definition:
    var reportBook = new ReportBook();
    var report1 = new MyReport();

Using xml report definition (.trdx):
    var reportBook = new ReportBook();
    var report1 = DeserializeReport("MyReport.trdx");
    //where the DeserializeReport method's definition is:
    public Report DeserializeReport(string path)
        System.Xml.XmlReaderSettings settings = new System.Xml.XmlReaderSettings();
        settings.IgnoreWhitespace = true;
        using (System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader = System.Xml.XmlReader.Create(path, settings)) {
            Telerik.Reporting.XmlSerialization.ReportXmlSerializer xmlSerializer = new Telerik.Reporting.XmlSerialization.ReportXmlSerializer();
            Telerik.Reporting.Report report = (Telerik.Reporting.Report)xmlSerializer.Deserialize(xmlReader);
            return report;

Then you can display the Report Book item by assigning it to a Report Viewer as you'd do with any normal report:
    var instanceReportSource = new InstanceReportSource();
    instanceReportSource.ReportDocument = reportBook;
    this.ReportViewer1.ReportSource = instanceReportSource;

Additionally, you may find useful the Report Book demo located in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Reporting <version>\Examples\CSharp\ReportLibrary\ReportBook folder on your machine.

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

3. DevCraft R3 2016 release webinar banner