This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Windows.Documents.Spreadsheet, Version=2015.1.225.45'

3 Answers 3999 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Silviu
Top achievements
Rank 1
Silviu asked on 14 Jun 2016, 01:49 PM

When trying to use the export to excel functionality on my asp.net website the following error is displayed:

Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Windows.Documents.Spreadsheet, Version=2015.1.225.45, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Not sure why it is looking for version 2015.1.225.45 when the assembly references version 2016.2.421.40 and it is also set to Copy Local = True.

Have tried rebuild but still nothing. I have no idea where the old version is being referenced as I have searched the whole solution without success.

What is the solution here?

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Vessy
Telerik team
answered on 15 Jun 2016, 06:02 AM
Hi Silviu,

The experienced error is usually thrown due to a wrong reference to a DLL in the project (in your case to Telerik.Windows.Documents.Spreadsheet.dll). The following section in our documentation explains more common reasons for such error message and how to fix them:
http://docs.telerik.com/devtools/aspnet-ajax/installation/upgrading-instructions/upgrading-a-trial-to-a-developer-license-or-to-a-newer-version#could-not-load-file-or-assembly-telerikwebui-after-upgrade

Las but not least, sometimes Visual studio stores information regarding previously registered DLL versions in the project file of the application. I would advice that you open this file with a text redactor and see whether there are any remaining registrations of the problematic Telerik.Windows.Documents.Spreadsheet version.

Regards,
Vessy
Telerik
Do you need help with upgrading your ASP.NET AJAX, WPF or WinForms projects? Check the Telerik API Analyzer and share your thoughts.
automator
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 15 Mar 2019, 05:36 AM

Hi Vessy,

Facing the same issue with latest Telerik dlls. Are you able to help and or explain more of how to do quoted below please"

"Visual studio stores information regarding previously registered DLL versions in the project file of the application. I would advice that you open this file with a text redactor and see whether there are any remaining registrations of the problematic Telerik.Windows.Documents.Spreadsheet version. "

Vessy
Telerik team
answered on 19 Mar 2019, 03:48 PM
Hi Kay,

The *.proj file of an application is actually an XML document, which contains all of the configured settings. Usually Visual Studio updates the values kept in this file successfully, but sometimes the stored in it references may point to and older version even if the references of the project are are changed (e.g. if the *.proj file is locked or inaccessible for some other reasons). In such cases, you can navigate to this file, open it with a Text redactor (like Notepad, Notepad++, etc.) and change the needed values manually. In the Telerik controls case, this usually is the version number of the referenced DLLs - just search for Telerik in this file and make sure that the versions match the one currently used one.

I hope this information sheds some light on the matter.

Regards,
Vessy
Progress Telerik
Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Silviu
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Vessy
Telerik team
automator
Top achievements
Rank 2