Just a quick opinion on Telerik, MS Reporting and Crystal.Crystal
Product is industry dominent but definately has its quirks, I really don't like the programmatical side of crystal, their designer has bugs and quirks which, once you are familar with can make the product workable. I have used crystal for many years and am not sorry to leave it behind.Microsoft Reporting and Telerik
Grouping these two together as I feel they are very similar.
Both products work well within Visual Studio.
- I prefer Teleriks styling options over RS.
- I like the expanded charting options Telerik gives over RS (Although with RS you can add on the dundas reporting packages which them expands your charting options well above Telerik's, but at a hefty price).
- I find Telerik's ability to connect to datasources easier than with RS. I primarily connect to an object graph and therefore have little use for dataconnector wizards etc. I find the ability to connect to datasets in RS a little bit less intuitive then via Telerik's simple approach. (I do have a question outstanding with Telerik on weather they support deep binding).
- I Love the programmatically access to Telerik's reporting. I know you can get at it from Reporting Services but it just ain't as painless as the Telerik approach.
- Telerik is a lot less baggage than Reporting services to get going.
Things I find Missing from Telerik that RS has
- Web Service to connect to and retrieve report output. Telerik doesn't offer such service. But on saying that I don't think it'd be hard to create a wrapper for Telerik to offer this.
- Exporting, RS has Excel, CSV exporting which I sorely miss from Telerik (I hope they add this soon to their product)
- Scheduling/Delivery: Not really a flaw of telerik, Microsoft has a full reporting infrastructure that also allows running scheduled reports that can be delivered via email etc to inboxes. This goes beyond the simple reporting product to a more enterprise level reporting system.
- Table layout, RS allows blocking things into a datatable style layout, with Telerik its more just placing controls down and aligning them. Not a huge issue, actually not really a issue at all.
We use a combo of both RS and Telerik at the moment. Both work well.