This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Can't move window in Q2 2011 Release

32 Answers 504 Views
Window
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Todd
Top achievements
Rank 1
Todd asked on 13 Jul 2011, 08:36 PM
I just upgraded our project to use the new Q2 2011 Release.  Now none of my RadWindow controls can move -- they are frozen in the place where they are initially launched.

I have played with setting the CanMove property to True (even though I assume this was the default), but it makes no difference.

The Q2 Samples don't seem to have a problem, but my dialogs won't move.  I have made no code changes except to reference the new libraries.

This is a show stopper for us -- needs to be looked into and fixed ASAP!

32 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Peter Avritch
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Jul 2011, 11:05 PM
I have exactly the same problem.

Prior to 2011 Q2, RadWindow behavior/look has been consistent and unchanged for us for the last 18 months.

And the window chrome for the them (office silver) changed too.

Peter
Orchid Infosys
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 14 Jul 2011, 08:43 AM
The same issue here as well, and on maximize, the window disappears.
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 14 Jul 2011, 01:38 PM
Hello Orchiderp,

We remade big part of RadWindow and decided that this is the correct way to do things. Previously when RadWindow was declared in XAML we were removing it from its Parent and put it in a popup then show it. Clients tend to bind elements in the window to another XAML element and this binding getting broken and there were also other problems like panels layout is refreshed because of removing the window etc...
We believe that it is better practice to either create RadWindow in code behind or use it as a root element of a UserControl especially in WPF as there it is supposed that new windows are always root elements. So that is the reason that we changed the way RadWindow works when declared in XAML.

We are sorry for the caused inconvenience. Let us know if you have further questions.

@OrchidERP-- Could you provide some more info on the window disappearing on maximize.

Regards,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Register for the Q2 2011 What's New Webinar Week. Mark your calendar for the week starting July 18th and book your seat for a walk through of all the exciting stuff we will ship with the new release!

Achim Knuepfer
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jul 2011, 02:07 PM
Hi Boyan,

it looks as if setting Top, Left or RestrictedAreaMargin makes the RadWindow unmovable. The result of the following code is an unmovable window:

var x = new RadWindow();
x.Width = 200;
x.Height = 200;
x.Top = 100;
x.Show();

What do I have to change so that users are able to move the window with the mouse?
Our whole application is unusable with Q2 2011 because of this problem.

I just found out that the problem exists with Windows7Theme but not with the default theme or Metro theme ...

Regards,
Achim
Todd
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jul 2011, 02:39 PM
We are using the Windows7Theme as well.
Luc
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jul 2011, 02:51 PM
Its a host of undesirable things happening to the radwindow now, be it in codebind or xaml.. I have opened a  support tickect explaining some of the things and im waiting for the answer..
This has really become an issue, not only is the behaviour inconsistent, it seems Windows7 theme applied to radwindow makes it very unpredicatable. I have to play round with minheight, minwidth etc settings so as to maximize on window showdialog correctly as well as the not moving bit. What can we do to solve this?
Todd
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jul 2011, 05:06 PM
It does appear to be a Windows 7 Theme issue.  If you go to the Q2 2011 Silvleirght samples on the Telerik page, and choose Window, then Theming, you can see a sample of the RadWindow with different themes.  All of them allow the user to move the window.  When you choose the Windows 7 Theme, the window becomes frozen, and can not be moved.
Peter Avritch
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jul 2011, 05:38 PM
100% of our RadWindow modal dialogs are stand-alone controls and we still observe this problem.

This is further evidenced by the Windows 7 theme problem in the Telerik samples - does not move, yet all others do.

Peter
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 15 Jul 2011, 12:25 PM
Hi,

I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought you are talking about the change in declaring in XAML. We are aware of this problem. It happens only with Windows 7 theme and will be fine with all others. We will do our best to fix this issue as soon as possible as it is a major show stopper and most probably the fix will be included in the next internal build. I have created a PITS item where you can follow the progress.

We are sorry for the caused inconvenience.

All the best,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Register for the Q2 2011 What's New Webinar Week. Mark your calendar for the week starting July 18th and book your seat for a walk through of all the exciting stuff we will ship with the new release!

Kelley Wong
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Jul 2011, 07:15 AM
I upgraded project to use the new Q2 2011,and the problem comes!

I use several RadWindows in the project, after upgraded ,some are showd correctly,and some not.

When i set the Radwindow WindowState="Maximized" ,it doesn't show maximize , it shows in the right-bottom corner,and it can not move!when i  click on maximize button, the window disappears.  
Trude
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 19 Jul 2011, 08:39 AM
The RadWindow has some serious layout/design issues in the Q2 release (even in the latest internal release). Especially with the Windows 7 theme. See the other threads in this forum - Telerik must release another hotfix this week!
Orchid Infosys
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 21 Jul 2011, 08:59 AM
Appreciate release of hotfix
RadControls_for_Silverlight4_2011_2_0718_DEV_hotfix.zip

Still radwindow disappear when Minimize & Restore

OrchidERP Dev Team
Mark Richardson
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Jul 2011, 10:12 PM
I am getting the RadWIndow disappearing problem as well.

Will there be a fix released for this ASAP?

Mark
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 22 Jul 2011, 08:32 AM
Hello Guys,

We are currently working on improving the RadWindow behavior. The starting maximized/minimized problem is already fixed and the next internal build will contain this fix. It will be up and ready for download on Monday.

Kind regards,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Tom Smith
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 25 Jul 2011, 10:17 AM
Hi, have you got an ETA on the release, I have the same issues, unfortunately a big fixed in Charting Q2 2011 fixes one issue I have, but open up this problem! Thanks
Orchid Infosys
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 25 Jul 2011, 07:19 PM
This hot fix  (RadControls_for_Silverlight4_2011_2_0725_DEV_hotfix.zip )
solved minimize and maximize functions of RadWindow
but still restore continuing strange behavior

OrchidERP Dev Team
Mark Richardson
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Jul 2011, 11:14 AM
Is there still more problems with the Windows control?
Should I wait before downloading the hotfix?

OrchidERP said their are still more problems.

Thanks,
Mark
Peter Avritch
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Jul 2011, 06:52 PM
Although the 7/25 hotfix does fix the window movement problem, the look of the window chrome changed - not nearly as elegant as before in Q1 2011 releases and earlier in my opinion. Hoping you'll restore the look to its original glory.
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 28 Jul 2011, 08:13 AM
Hi Guys,

@Peter Avritch - The look of the RadWindow will be changed for SP1 as we need some more time to investigate how we can return the shadow without hampering the performance.

@Orchid Info Tech- Could you please provide some more info about the strange behavior with restoring the RadWindow. It will greatly help us identify the problem and fix it faster.

Best wishes,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Orchid Infosys
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 05 Aug 2011, 05:33 PM

Hi Telerik Team,

Rather than fixing the problem this hot fix created some new problems
 (RadControls_for_Silverlight4_2011_2_0801_DEV_hotfix.zip)
RadButtons cannot be clicked, they are frozen, Buttons in modal dialogs are disabled by default(dragging the Dialog enables them).....
a host of some random problems... which are hard to explain
Having witnessed such undesirable and immatured behaviours, we immediately reverted back to the old version...
Now we are considering going back to 2011 Q1

Hi Telerik, your Q2 release is not welcome.

Regards
OrchidERP Team

Luc
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Aug 2011, 07:31 AM
@orchid -

Have a look at this forum http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/silverlight/window/report-a-problem-of-the-radwindow-in-q2.aspx
Version 801 hotfix is an internalbuild and all telerik internal builds can contain intentional bugs because they are not meant for production use.
These are a few key points mentioned in the telerik manual about Internal builds
  • intended for development only
  • not recommended for production purposes
  • have not gone through the complete QA process

I was also annoyed at first but I would suggest indeed to stay with the version that works for your circumstances and wait for the official service packs or quarter releases..
Trude
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 25 Aug 2011, 10:02 AM
With the 0823 internal release the Windows7 themed RadWindow is almost back to normal visually, but a few issues remain:

The header height is still truncated making icons (16x16) partially invisible
The borders are thinner than the used to be making resizing difficult (especially corner resizing)

The good thing about the Q2 RadWindow is that the performance has increased a lot - some of our windows was really slow/choppy when users resized them horizontally. This is gone in Q2.

Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 30 Aug 2011, 04:24 PM
Hello Jorn,

We are happy that the performance of RadWindow is increased, in fact this was the main reason to make the rework that lead to the issues in this thread. About the Icon issue could you please set to the image you are using Stretch=None so it looks something like this:
<telerik:RadWindow.Icon>
        <Image Source="/Images/off.jpg"   Stretch="None" />    
</telerik:RadWindow.Icon>
I believe this will fix your problem. As for the corner resizing we are aware of this issue and will try to resolve it for the service pack.

Regards,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Trude
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 30 Aug 2011, 07:08 PM
See attached screenshot. I'm using Q2 - 0823.
Notice that the borders are 3-4 pixels narrower than they used to be. It's hard to hit the resize position (it seems to be only one pixel wide). This also applies to corner resize.
Also notice that when I followed your advice to set Strech = None - only part of the icon is visible and the header is not as high/tall as it used to be.

All other themes seems to be fine.
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 02 Sep 2011, 03:54 PM
Hello Jorn,

Yes the header seems a little bit narrower in Windows 7 theme, we will investigate the issue and provide a fix. I believe we have mixed up the template when we returned the shadow to the template. Thank you for your reprot and sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Marcelo
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Sep 2011, 12:23 PM
Boyan,

The PIT already is "Resolved" (http://www.telerik.com/support/pits.aspx#/tracked/silverlight/6976).
When we will have a build with this fix? Can you tell us? Can you advise us?

thanks
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 06 Sep 2011, 02:44 PM
Hello Marcelo,

The issue is fixed and the fix will be included in next Internal build. Also it will be included in SP1 which is scheduled for the week after next.

All the best,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Trude
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 07 Sep 2011, 08:06 AM
When is the next internal build? There hasn't been one for a while (august 23rd)
JDT
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Sep 2011, 12:48 AM
This is also giving us problem. RadWindow no longer behaves poperly, can't be moved, etc. It just so happens we picked the windows 7 theme to modify for our own custom theme and have spent many hours creating it. Do not want to have to start again with a different theme. Thanks!

Not fixed as of date this post was created.
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 12 Sep 2011, 12:49 PM
Hello,

The problem with RadWindow not moving in Windows 7 theme was present in the Q2 release and was fixed the week after so this should be fixed in the latest internal build and the fix will be present in the SP1 which will be released next week.

All the best,
Boyan
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Nithya
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Jan 2012, 07:50 AM
I use VirtualizingWrapPanel in listbox it raise an error "RadWindow control needs to be displayed using its Show or ShowDialog method and shouldn't be added to the layout". (In the same xaml page have RadWindow )..

Why i cannt add RadWindow  in xaml page, which page have VirtualizingWrapPanel?

Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 01 Feb 2012, 09:42 AM
Hello,

This message has nothing to do with the VirtualizingWrapPanel. It is caused because you have added RadWindow in XAML and it is not a RootControl.

We remade big part of RadWindow for Q2 2011 and decided that this is the correct way to do things. Previously when RadWindow was declared in XAML we were removing it from its Parent and put it in a popup then show it. Clients tend to bind elements in the window to another XAML element and this binding getting broken and there were also other problems like panels layout being refreshed because of removing the window etc...
We believe that it is better practice to either create RadWindow in code behind or use it as a root element of a UserControl especially in WPF as there it is supposed that new windows are always root elements. So that is the reason that we changed the way RadWindow works when declared in XAML.

So the only thing you have to do is to put the RadWindow in a new UserControl, more info on how to do this you can find in this help thread.

Greetings,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

Tags
Window
Asked by
Todd
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Peter Avritch
Top achievements
Rank 1
Orchid Infosys
Top achievements