This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Avialable for download: SP1 of r.a.d.controls for ASP.NET Q4 2006

4 Answers 133 Views
Announcements
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Telerik Admin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Telerik Admin asked on 24 Jan 2007, 06:25 PM
telerik is happy to announce the availability of Service Pack 1 for radControls for ASP.NET Q4 2006. As of this volume update, telerik becomes the first component vendor to offer complete interoperability with the Official release of ASP.NET AJAX 1.0, shipped yesterday.

Full Release Notes

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Alfred Ortega
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 26 Jan 2007, 01:55 PM
I was reading the product RoadMap and if I understand correctly all your Ajax technology will now be rewritten to utilize MSAjax. MSAjax does not support .Net  1.x, so does this mean that .Net 1.x applications will no longer be supported?

Al
Ivo
Telerik team
answered on 26 Jan 2007, 03:44 PM
Hello Alfred,

For over a year telerik has maintained parallel ASP.NET 1.x and 2.0 versions of all web controls and this has worked out very well for us and for all the community. However, as adoption rate of the new framework among all telerik users has reached a very high level it makes sense to stop new ASP.NET 1.x development very soon. Maintaining a release schedule of 18 web controls with separate set of assemblies, examples, documentation files and compatible with the widest range of modern browsers comes at the price of slower introduction of new things. It takes more time to ensure that everything works as expected across all different configurations.

Based on these observations we are thinking that after 2007 Volume One r.a.d.controls package should no longer include updates on ASP.NET 1.x features. New products and new features will also be developed for ASP.NET 2.0 only. However, we will continue to provide the same level of support and fixes of reported problems after we stop new development. We do understand that it will take some time to port larger projects from ASP.NET 1.x to 2.0 and we will do our best to protect all customers’ current investments.

Some additional information is available on the telerik blogs:
http://blogs.telerik.com/blogs/vt/archive/2007/01/08/550.aspx

Please, let us know what is your feedback on this move.

Sincerely yours,
Ivo
the telerik team
Alfred Ortega
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 26 Jan 2007, 04:17 PM
Ivo,
That certainly makes sense and all but one of my .Net sites have already migrated and I will be doing the last one soon.  But for those who are still on 1.x they may want to know in case they didn't know MSAjax was not 1.x capable. 

Am I right to assume that without the MSAjax dll and scripts that telerik products will not work as far as ajax functionality is concerned? Or will the MS products be included in your packaging?

Keep up the great work,
Al
Ivo
Telerik team
answered on 29 Jan 2007, 03:23 PM
Hi Alfred,

ASP.NET AJAX comes with a redistribution license so we can ship it with our installers. The controls which rely on MS AJAX will include the required assemblies and scripts -- they will be installed if you do not have them on your machine.

Regards,
Ivo
the telerik team
Tags
Announcements
Asked by
Telerik Admin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Answers by
Alfred Ortega