[2016.3.914.3] NSCalendarsUsageDescription & NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription required when deploying to TestFlight

6 posts, 0 answers
  1. Marc
    Marc avatar
    3 posts

Posted 16 Sep Link to this post

i just tried to submit my app with the updated telerik calendar (this is the only change beside switching to XCode8/iOS10) to TestFlight and got rejected:

Dear developer,
    We have discovered one or more issues with your recent delivery for "xxxx". To process your delivery, the following issues must be corrected:
    This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSCalendarsUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.
    This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.
    Once these issues have been corrected, you can then redeliver the corrected binary.
    Regards,
    The App Store team

i do added to requested key`s to my info.plist to resolve this for now but i am not accessing this resources and therefor i dont want to be forced to set these. primary reason is that my users will get this permission request description displayed and the nature of my app makes it quite obvious that it does not need this permissions to do its job.

Dear developer,
    We have discovered one or more issues with your recent delivery for "xxxx". To process your delivery, the following issues must be corrected:
    This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSCalendarsUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.
    This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.
    Once these issues have been corrected, you can then redeliver the corrected binary.
    Regards,
    The App Store team
    Dear developer,
    Regards,
    The App Store team
  2. Sophi
    Admin
    Sophi avatar
    99 posts

Posted 17 Sep Link to this post

Hello Marc,

Our last release does not include breaking changes in any of our controls. We do not require additional permissions or capabilities of the application.

Can you confirm that you have successfully uploaded your app to the App Store before upgrading Telerik UI?
    Also, are you completely sure that you haven't done any changes except the upgrade?

Regards,
    Sophi
    Telerik by Progress
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
  3. DevCraft banner
  4. Amandeep
    Amandeep avatar
    3 posts

Posted 07 Oct in reply to Marc Link to this post

Hi

I can confirm the same issue. I create dummy project and add telerik framework to use slidemenu. Submit the app to app store with not issue. No I add -ObjC as other linker flag, got same issue as mentioned above for NSCalendarsUsageDescription. So I suspect there is something in API that requires Calendar when -ObjC flag is enabled.

Regards

Amandeep

5. Amandeep
    Amandeep avatar
    3 posts

Posted 10 Oct in reply to Sophi Link to this post

Hi Sophi,

Any update on this issue as I proveide way to replicate this issue.

Regards

Amandeep

6. Sophi
    Admin
    Sophi avatar
    99 posts

Posted 12 Oct Link to this post

Hi Amandeep,

Thank you for sharing your experience. 
    Since you are able to reproduce the issue we will investigate it as soon as possible and we will let you know about the outcome.
    Stay tuned for update on this issue.

Regards,
    Sophi
    Telerik by Progress
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
  7. Sophi
    Admin
    Sophi avatar
    99 posts

Posted 14 Oct Link to this post

Hello guys,

Further investigation showed that since iOS 10 Apple requires to provide reasoning whenever you are using sensitive data in which NSCalendar is included.
    TelerikUI provides an easy way for the TKCalendar to get synchronized with the device's calendar and that specific action is though of as information sensitive. 
    Unfortunately we weren't able to find a way to resolve the issue globally, for example,  by adding the NSCalendarsUsageDescription variable to the info.plist of the framework.

Bottom line you should try adding NSCalendarsUsageDescription variable to your app's info.plist and provide a description like "This app need to access your calendar events", it will be prompted to the user only if there is an attempt for actually retrieving the calendar events information, meaning that if you do not use this feature your users will never get that prompt.

Regards,
    Sophi
    Telerik by Progress
DevCraft banner