why scrollbars with 100% height?

4 posts, 0 answers
  1. Eric
    Eric avatar
    82 posts

Posted 25 Mar 2009 Link to this post

Dear all,

I am trying to set several splitters to retrieve a look and feel similar to windows explorer.
    I want one thin area at the top.
    Underneath, I want an area on the left separated from the right by a Splitter bar.

First Problem: scroll bars

The code below almost work but I get both horizontal and vertical scroll bars while I would expect none.
    I am trying to use 100% everywhere as I want to use the entire screen.
    Any idea how to get rid of them?

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="SplitterTests.aspx.cs" Inherits="Test2.SplitterTests" %> 

<%@ Register assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" tagprefix="telerik" %> 

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> 

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" style="height:100%" > 
    <head id="Head1" runat="server"
        <title></title
    </head> 
    <body style="height:100%;margin:0px" scroll="no"
      <form id="form1" runat="server" style="height:100%;margin:0px"
        <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server"
        </asp:ScriptManager> 
        <script type="text/javascript"
          function ChangeUrl(sender, args) { 
              var pane = $find("<%= RadPane2.ClientID %>"); 
              pane.set_contentUrl(args.get_newValue()); 
          } 
        </script> 
          <telerik:RadSplitter ID="RadSplitter1" Runat="server" Height="100%" Width="100%" Orientation="Horizontal"
            <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane1" Runat="server" Width="100%" BackColor="Aqua" Height="30px">RadPane1 
            </telerik:RadPane> 
            <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane2" Runat="server" BackColor="BlueViolet" Height="100%"
                <telerik:RadSplitter ID="RadSplitter2" runat="server" Height="100%"
                    <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane3" runat="server" BackColor="Beige"
                    <telerik:RadSplitBar ID="RadSplitBar1" runat="server" /> 
                    <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane4" runat="server"
                </telerik:RadSplitter> 
      </form> 
    </body> 
    </html> 

Second Problem: useless javascript

You may have noticed that the javascript is useless (I inherited it from one of the samples).
    But if I remove it, the entire page becomes wonky as if the first splitter had a width of 50% and the second a height of 0.
    Does that make sense?

Many thanks

2. Eric
    Eric avatar
    82 posts

Posted 27 Mar 2009 Link to this post

Hum... Don't rush! One at a time, please!

I have removed the javascript problem hence I am only looking at having a RadSplitter containing a Header and another RadSplitter

I have spotted a few articles mentioning the HeightOffset attribute but I still don't seem to get it right.
    I want both RadSplitters to use 100% height of their respective areas
    <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="SplitterTests.aspx.cs" Inherits="Test2.SplitterTests" %> 

<%@ Register assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" tagprefix="telerik" %> 

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> 

<head id="Head1" runat="server"
        <title>Help!</title> 
    </head> 
    <body style="height:100%;margin:0px" scroll="no"
      <form id="form1" runat="server" style="height:100%;margin:0px"
        <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server"
        <!-- I think RadSplitter1 is ok --> 
          <telerik:RadSplitter ID="RadSplitter1" Runat="server" Height="100%" Width="100%" Orientation="Horizontal"
            <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane1" Runat="server" Width="100%" BackColor="Aqua" Height="30px">RadPane1 
            <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane2" Runat="server" BackColor="BlueViolet" Height="100%"
                <!-- but RadSplitter2 does not seem to care about HeightOffset --> 
                <telerik:RadSplitter ID="RadSplitter2" runat="server" Height="100%" HeightOffset="100"
                    <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane3" runat="server" BackColor="Beige"
                    <telerik:RadSplitBar ID="RadSplitBar1" runat="server"/> 
                    <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane4" runat="server"
      </form> 
    </body> 
    </html> 

Am I asking too much of Telerik?
    Come on... You can do it!

3. UI for ASP.NET Ajax is Ready for VS 2017
  4. Eric
    Eric avatar
    82 posts

Posted 27 Mar 2009 Link to this post

For the record...
    I have just discovered that my problem seems to be RadPane2 rather than the splitter...

I am able to hide(remove?) the problem by disallowing scroll bars on RadPane2 and the HeightOffset on RadSplitter2 appears useless in this case

<head id="Head1" runat="server">  
        <title>Help!</title>  
    </head>  
    <body style="height:100%;margin:0px" scroll="no">  
      <form id="form1" runat="server" style="height:100%;margin:0px">  
        <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server">  
        <!-- I think RadSplitter1 is ok -->  
          <telerik:RadSplitter ID="RadSplitter1" Runat="server" Height="100%" Width="100%" Orientation="Horizontal">  
            <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane2" Runat="server" BackColor="BlueViolet" Height="100%" BorderStyle="None" Scrolling="None">  
                <!-- but RadSplitter2 does not seem to care about HeightOffset -->  
                <telerik:RadSplitter ID="RadSplitter2" runat="server" Height="100%">  
                    <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane3" runat="server" BackColor="Beige">  
                    <telerik:RadSplitBar ID="RadSplitBar1" runat="server"/>  
                    <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane4" runat="server">  
      </form>  
    </body>  
    </html>  

Although I don't understand it all yet, this will solve my problem.

Thanks Eric. You're a star!
  5. Svetlina Anati
    Admin
    Svetlina Anati avatar
    2795 posts

Posted 30 Mar 2009 Link to this post

Hello Eric,

Straight to your questions:

1. I built up a test demo based on the code provided in your initial post. However, I was not able to reproduce the unnecessary scrollbars and when I removed the script, nothing changed.
    2. The HeightOffset property is used when you want to have an additional element outside the splitter but I did not see such in your code. Note, also, that by default when you have a RadSplitter nested in a RadPane, the splitter automatically resizes itself to occupy 100% of the RadPane and that is why it did not respect your setting. If you want to turn off this, you should set ResizeWithParentPane=false for the splitter and set the HeightOffset property along with Width, Height set to 100%.
    3. Indeed, when you use a RadSplitter nested in a RadPane you should set the Scrolling of the parent pane to be None. This should be done because otherwise you will get double scrollbars if the content is too big - the first scrollbar will be generated by the splitter and the second one - by the RadPane.

In case you need further assistance, please open a new support ticket and send me a sample, fully runnable reproduction demo along with screenshots of the actual and the desired layout. Once I have a better understanding on your exact goal I will do my best to help.

Kind regards,
    Svetlina
    the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer , the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.