What is the oldest version of Telerik UI WPF that supports VS 2022 and .NET 7?

1 Answer 116 Views
General Discussions Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
Rob A. asked on 23 Jul 2023, 04:59 PM

For a home project I'm working on, I have paid upto version R3 2021 SP2.  Will this version work with Visual Studio 2022 and can I use .NET 7 with this version?

If not, what is the most current version of Telerik UI WPF that does support Visual Studio 2022?

What is the most current version of Telerik UI WPF that supports .NET 7?

Thanks, Rob.

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Martin Ivanov
Telerik team
answered on 24 Jul 2023, 09:03 AM

Hello Robin,

You can run every Telerik UI for WPF version since .NET 4.0 in Visual Studio 2022. That is because Visual Studio doesn't have trouble running older .NET versions.

About .NET 7, Telerik provides dlls built against this version since R2 2022. However, .NET 7 is backward compatible, so you can use older Telerik assemblies in a .NET 7 project (down to .NET Core 3.1). The latest .NET version that can be found in the Telerik's R3 2021 SP2 release is .NET 5, but Microsoft no longer support this, so I would suggest you to use the .NET Core 3.1 version in your .NET 7 project.

I hope this information helps. 

Regards,
Martin Ivanov
Progress Telerik

Love the Telerik and Kendo UI products and believe more people should try them? Invite a fellow developer to become a Progress customer and each of you can get a $50 Amazon gift voucher.

Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
commented on 26 Jul 2023, 09:35 PM

Appreciate the response.  My successful steps:

1.  Create new Project and select WPF .NET (do NOT select WPF .NET Framework).

2. Select .NET 7

3. Wait for Toolbox to initialize

4. Drag and drop Telerik control into Designer which will present an information message that the references are added to the project, but I'll need to repeat drag and drop operation (see attached image).

5.  Compile/Run and validate.

Seems to be working, is there anything I need to be concerned about ... some "gotchas"? 

I don't understand your information about using .NET Core 3.1 or .NET 5?  Are you saying if I try to bind a datasource created via .NET 7 to a 2021 R3 Telerik control I will run into problems/issues?  Could you clarify?

Thanks, Rob.

Martin Ivanov
Telerik team
commented on 27 Jul 2023, 10:27 AM

Thank you for sharing your steps. They seem fine.

About using .NET Core 3.1 or .NET 5, I am saying that you can use the Telerik's .NET Core 3.1 dlls from the 2021 R3 release in a .NET 7 project.

Tags
General Discussions Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
Asked by
Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
Answers by
Martin Ivanov
Telerik team