This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Warning!!! SocialShare Control kill Server 2012

8 Answers 82 Views
SocialShare
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Rob
Top achievements
Rank 1
Rob asked on 07 Sep 2012, 03:31 PM
Hi,

I had a site that was working fine on windows Server 2008R2 and then upgraded this server to Windows Server 2012.  The moment I did this the website in question starting eating all available cpu, Upon looking at the process I noticed it was the telerik .axd, it would launch and never shut down it and just churn away CPU, for each new page loaded, another instance of the .axd would also be created.  after four or five instances the cpu would skyrocket.  It took me a couple of days to figure out what the culprit was and I wanted to make it know as others might and most likely will encounter the same situation until telerik releases a fix...

Thanks,

8 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
answered on 10 Sep 2012, 08:36 AM
Hi Rob,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. This is the first time it is being reported and we will be looking into it. It would be helpful for us if you can give us some additional information about the case - which is the Telerik.Web.UI version you are using, what is the problematic RadSocialShare configuration and does using a different one help (e.g. avoiding the Standard buttons). Any other details that may be related could also be helpful - IIS version, some specific IIS configuration, etc. For example, is the difference only in the server version, does the same site work fine on the 2008 version or are there any changes you've made?

In the meantime I can suggest that you use the RadScriptManager's CDN so that the scripts for our controls are downloaded from our cloud server and not from your own: http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/scriptmanager-cdn-support.html. This article also shows how you can enable it globally for the application in the web.config.

Regards,
Marin Bratanov
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Rob
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Sep 2012, 03:39 PM
Yes that's correct the only think that changed was the Server upgrade from 2008R2 to Server 2012 Standard.

Have you verified the control on Server 2012?
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
answered on 18 Sep 2012, 12:11 PM
Hello Rob,

Thank you for the confirmation. We have been very busy with the service pack release and we are still working on setting up a testing environment. I will write back here once we have further information or questions on the matter.

In the meantime it could help us if you answer my previous questions:
  • Which is the Telerik.Web.UI version you are using?
  • What is the RadSocialShare configuration that is causing the issue?
  • Have you tried using the CDN for the scripts and does that help?

Some additional details on the use case could also help - e.g. is it in a databound control so many instances are created and a database is heavily queried?

All the best,
Marin Bratanov
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Daniel Plomp
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 15 Oct 2012, 08:58 AM
I'm having the same issues with a Sitefinity site, using the RadSocialShare.
I tried the ScriptManager, the RadScriptManager, but no differences there.

I use the latest version of Sitefinity which uses Telerik.Web.UI version 2012.2.607.40.
In my opinion it has something to do with using the control in projects that target the 4.5 framework.

I'm switching to the AddThis variant for the moment, but I hope Telerik will find a solution for this.

Thanks!
Daniel
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
answered on 17 Oct 2012, 11:31 AM
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your report. It would be helpful if you can share with us the versions you are using (also server and .NET, not only Telerik.Web.UI) and the actual way you use the control when you experience the issue. Once again, we are willing to research the problem and we will as soon as possible, but without any concrete information it is rather difficult to pinpoint the origin of the issue. Please also keep in mind that official support for .NET 4.5 will be introduced in the upcoming Q3 2012 release. I cannot guarantee it will resolve this particular case, yet there are some changes in the suite.

All the best,
Marin Bratanov
the Telerik team
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
answered on 24 Oct 2012, 09:05 AM
Hi guys,

I have created a PITS item for this and you can follow it in this URL. Any comments are also welcome. So far we have managed to reproduce the problem described there, but not the one described in the original post. This is why I still ask that you send us more information about the exact use case you have so that it can be researched as well in case the problem is different.

Kind regards,
Marin Bratanov
the Telerik team
Michael Campbell
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Mar 2016, 01:45 AM

Hi All,

I realise this post is old and has not had a reply in over three years but I've had a nighmare of a few days with one of our servers which tuned out to be exactly this, so was wandering if there was ever a solution. I am using the latest version of Telerik.Web.UI (2016.1.225), .NET 4.5 on Windows Server 2012.

It only seems to occur if I use the dropdown feature (using <telerik:RadCompactButton></telerik:RadCompactButton>). Its not occurring when all buttons are "MainButtons".

Some further info, I ran DebugDiag while the issue was occurring and it indicated most of the CPU time was spent making calls to System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.VoiceSynthesis. This led me to believe it was RadCaptcha but it turned out to be this, not sure why RadSocialShare would use speech synthesis.

Regards,
Michael

Danail Vasilev
Telerik team
answered on 24 Mar 2016, 02:05 PM
Hello Michael,

We have been reported a couple of times such an issue but we have never been able to reproduce it locally. More information is available in this feedback item - http://feedback.telerik.com/Project/108/Feedback/Details/119144

Regarding the audio synthesizer it is used by the RadCaptcha which is utilized in the e-mail dialog from the CompactButtons collection. What I can suggest is that you specify a particular set of buttons that do not include the mail dialog. We also have an idea to implement an option for disabling explicitly the audio of the captcha but cannot provide a firm ETA when it will be implemented.

Regards,
Danail Vasilev
Telerik
Do you need help with upgrading your ASP.NET AJAX, WPF or WinForms projects? Check the Telerik API Analyzer and share your thoughts.
Tags
SocialShare
Asked by
Rob
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
Rob
Top achievements
Rank 1