This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS 2008 crashes when changing skin

3 Answers 60 Views
Button
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Technology
Top achievements
Rank 1
Technology asked on 21 Nov 2011, 01:45 PM
Dear support,

When i select 2 or more button controls, in design mode, and try to change Skin from the Properties window, the Visual Studio crashes.

I use:
Telerik Web UI 2011.2.915
Visual Studio 2008 (ASP.VB) 9.0.30729.4462

Thank you in advance for your time.

George
Navarino Technology Dept.

Error message:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01:    devenv.exe
  Problem Signature 02:    9.0.30729.1
  Problem Signature 03:    488f2b50
  Problem Signature 04:    Telerik.Web.Design
  Problem Signature 05:    2011.2.915.35
  Problem Signature 06:    4e71e666
  Problem Signature 07:    32c
  Problem Signature 08:    b
  Problem Signature 09:    System.InvalidCastException
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:    1032

Additional information about the problem:
  LCID:    1033

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Slav
Telerik team
answered on 23 Nov 2011, 01:47 PM
Hello,

I tried to reproduce the described problem, but to no avail. You can check the behavior that I encountered on this screen capture.

Most probably the issue is caused by your local instance of Visual Studio and it isn't related to the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. Please ensure that you have installed all patches and Service Pack 1 for Visual Studio 2008 in order to upgrade it to the latest stable version.

I have found several articles and forum threads, discussing crashes of Visual Studio, that may help you detect the cause for the problem at hand:
 - XAMAL intelisense broken after installing the Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5
 - EventType clr20r3, P1 devenv.exe, P2 9.0.30729.1, P3 488f2b50, P4 system.drawing, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 4889dec2, P7 33d, P8 18, P9 system.outofmemoryexception, P10 NIL.

Searching for more information, using the problem signature from the error message, could provide additional insight into the issue

I hope the provided information will help you in resolving the problem at hand.

Greetings,
Slav
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now
Technology
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Nov 2011, 02:29 PM
Dear Slav,

first of all thank you for your detailed answer.

You changed the skin of the controls one by one. I can also do that without any crash.
Try to select 2 or more radbuttons from the designer (with ctrl button pressed) and change the skin from the properties window of Visual studio and not from the radbutton menu (radbutton tasks menu).

Thank you again for your time.

Best regards,
George.
Accepted
Slav
Telerik team
answered on 25 Nov 2011, 01:41 PM
Hello,

Thank you for the clarification. When trying to change the Skin of multiple RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, using the described approach, we were able to reproduce the problem. It is now logged in our To Do list and will be brought to the attention of our developers, although I cannot provide a firm estimate when a fix will be available.

For the time being you can use the RadSkinManager control for specifying Skin for several controls instead of selecting one for each RadControl.
<telerik:RadSkinManager runat="server" ID="RadSkinManager1" Skin="Forest"></telerik:RadSkinManager>

Please, excuse us for the caused inconvenience. Your Telerik points have been updated as a token of our gratitude for reporting the problem.

Best wishes,
Slav
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now
Tags
Button
Asked by
Technology
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Slav
Telerik team
Technology
Top achievements
Rank 1