This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

The remote server returned an error: NotFound

6 Answers 514 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jack Helfrich
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jack Helfrich asked on 02 Jul 2015, 08:34 PM

I know this question has been asked many times, and I have read most of the posts, but so far I have not seen a reply that is applicable to my situation, so I'm going to ask it again.

I have several LightSwitch applications built using Visual Studio 2012, Telerik Reporting Q3 2013 7.2.13.1016, .NETFramework 4, Silverlight 5, and deployed to a Windows 2008 R2 server with IIS 7.

The reports fail in one of the applications on all computers except one. The reports were working fine for the last 2 years, until I deployed an update to a different LightSwitch application on the same server that also uses the same version of Telerik Reporting. All applications are deployed to separate application pools. The reports in the application I updated are working fine.

I re-deployed the application that the reports stopped working in using the original deployment package, and that did not fix the problem. I then re-built and re-deployed the application, and it still did not fix the problem. The reports in this application work fine on all of our development computers when the reports are run inside Visual Studio, but fail on all except the one computer mentioned above when launched directly from the browser. The reporting functions also fail on the server the application is deployed on. The reports fail with the following error: Error:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException : An exception occurred during the operation, making the result invalid.  Check InnerException for exception details.
   at System.ComponentModel.AsyncCompletedEventArgs.RaiseExceptionIfNecessary()
   at Telerik.Reporting.Service.SilverlightClient.ListRenderingExtensionsEventArgs.get_Extensions()
   at Telerik.ReportViewer.Silverlight.ReportViewerModel.OnListRenderingExtensionsCompleted(Object sender, ListRenderingExtensionsEventArgs e)------------- InnerException: -------------System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException : The remote server returned an error: NotFound.
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.Remoting.RealProxy.Invoke(Object[] args)
   at proxy_3.EndListRenderingExtensions(IAsyncResult )
   at Telerik.Reporting.Service.SilverlightClient.ReportServiceClient.OnEndListRenderingExtensions(IAsyncResult result)
   at System.ServiceModel.ClientBase`1.OnAsyncCallCompleted(IAsyncResult result)------------- InnerException: -------------System.Net.WebException : The remote server returned an error: NotFound.
   at System.Net.Browser.AsyncHelper.BeginOnUI(SendOrPostCallback beginMethod, Object state)
   at System.Net.Browser.BrowserHttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelAsyncRequest.CompleteGetResponse(IAsyncResult result)------------- InnerException: -------------System.Net.WebException : The remote server returned an error: NotFound.
   at System.Net.Browser.BrowserHttpWebRequest.InternalEndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.Browser.BrowserHttpWebRequest.<>c__DisplayClassa.<EndGetResponse>b__9(Object sendState)
   at System.Net.Browser.AsyncHelper.<>c__DisplayClass4.<BeginOnUI>b__0(Object sendState)

I have also attached an image of the actual error screen from within the report viewer.

As suggested in one of the posts, I typed the address of the svc file on the server, and the service checks out fine.

Any insight as to what I can do to determine the cause and fix the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Jack​

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 03 Jul 2015, 04:46 PM
Hi Jack,

Please check the server's Event Viewer for any application error logs. Also use Fiddler to determine which requests to the server fail and their status.

Please post the found details here or open a support ticket to attach the whole log files.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Jack Helfrich
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Jul 2015, 08:37 PM

Stef,

There are no errors in the Event Viewer related to this application. I don't know how to use  Fiddler, but I did see some activity when I received the error in my application, so maybe this is it. In Fiddler: Result column = 401. I looked at what I am assuming is the response. It's the lower window in the right that says Response Body when I select the Transformer tab, or Response Headers when I select the Headers tab. None of the other tabs give any kind of banner. When I select the TextView tab, I get "<h2>401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.</h2>" and "<h3>You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.</h3>." I get something similar when I select the XML tab.

I have attached a snapshot of part of the fiddler screen where I got the above information from.

Is this the problem? If so, how would I go about correcting it?

Thank you,

Jack

Stef
Telerik team
answered on 10 Jul 2015, 01:19 PM
Hello Jack,

Based on the screenshot, there are multiple unauthorized requests for resources including requests to the Reporting WCF service.

Test adding users' allow/deny authorization settings in the application configuration file. Also verify the IIS process has proper identity settings and read/write permissions.

More troubleshooting suggestions can be found in the The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized (ASP.net2005) forum thread.

I hope the provided information is helpful.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Kenneth
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
answered on 03 Sep 2015, 03:41 PM

Jack,

Have you found a resolution for this?  I'm having the exact problem.  Recompiled, redeployed, deleted then copied a working copy, nothing changes the error. And here's a twist - I even have one app working and one not on the same box, same app pool, ​everything, so IIS account permission, etc can't be it. the app that does not work is a update version but the reports are the same. This identical updated version works on several other servers, same OS, same, same, same.  Driving me nuts.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Stef
Telerik team
answered on 07 Sep 2015, 02:39 PM
Hi Kenneth,

My recommendation is to use the server's Event Viewer and Fiddler to obtain more details about the actual error. You can also compare the settings of the running and failing applications, and determine if it is an issue in the used versions or configurations.
Test also to separate the applications and let them use different application pools, just in case there are shared resources.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik
Kenneth
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
answered on 07 Sep 2015, 05:19 PM

Thanks Stef,

I have resolved this per this thread:

http://www.telerik.com/forums/error-when-rendering-report-23f6abb57941#UPUrK7CWk0qTSFtUEWlQBA

This is a tough error to track down because all it means is what the error says: Not Found.  The fix is to find out 'Why' it's Not Found.

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Jack Helfrich
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Stef
Telerik team
Jack Helfrich
Top achievements
Rank 1