This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

The Operation could not be completed

7 Answers 83 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Lucian
Top achievements
Rank 1
Lucian asked on 08 Mar 2011, 10:45 AM
Hello,
I am testing Telerik Ajax controls in Visual Studio 2008 .net framework 3.5.
In separate test project all went well.
Then I try to add controls to an old project that we are tring to improve and nothing happends.
If I try to add controls in source view i receive the message "The Operation could not be completed".
I have done reloading references, closed solution, closed VS, reset toolbox, readding controls to toolbox.
Before starting digging up how to make it work, I want to know if you have a  known solution for this problem.

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 08 Mar 2011, 01:45 PM
Hi Lucian,

Here are some stuff to verify that could help:

Can you verify the project is on a local drive and not on a file share?
Can you try removing the references to the Telerik.Web.UI assembly from your project first and then try dragging the controls again?

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Registration for Q1 2011 What’s New Webinar Week is now open. Mark your calendar for the week starting March 21st and book your seat for a walk through all the exciting stuff we ship with the new release!
Lucian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Mar 2011, 02:54 PM
The project is local on  my hard drive.
I removed referenced still does'nt work.
Funny thing is now I have rad controls in toolbox - don't know how, perhaps because of toolbox reset.
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 08 Mar 2011, 02:57 PM
Hi Lucian,

Just to avoid confusion, what action to you refer to with "If I try to add controls in source view i receive the message "The Operation could not be completed"." in your original post?

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Registration for Q1 2011 What’s New Webinar Week is now open. Mark your calendar for the week starting March 21st and book your seat for a walk through all the exciting stuff we ship with the new release!
Lucian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Mar 2011, 04:00 PM

I created a new webform in my old project, then from toolbox I try to drag and drop controls (script manager) in design view. Nothing happends.
I switch to source view where I can see the tags. I drag and drop the script manager into the form tag and I receive the message.
It doesn't insert anything, not even  page directives especially the registration line that I see in green field project.

<%

@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" TagPrefix="telerik"

%>

In new project things works fine, no problem after adding references.

Web.config file is not changed at all in old project.
I am comparing now web.config files from a new working project with my old project.

The controls I am using are trial controls. Is that an issue?

Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 08 Mar 2011, 04:20 PM
Hi Lucian,

No, the trial versions of the controls are fully functional, they only display a trial message on a random basis. That should not be the problem.

Let me know your findings with regards to the web.config comparison.

Best,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Lucian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Mar 2011, 10:16 AM
I've solved the problem.
After comparing and rewiting web.config file, controls finaly worked in my old project.
In a new project the configuration file it is modified immediately after inserting the first control.
In the old project that was not happening, I don't know the reason. I am admin on my computer and I am the owner of the files.

Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 10 Mar 2011, 11:02 AM
Hi Lucian,

Glad to know it's working now, thanks for sharing that!

The problem might be related to the type of the reference added in the "old" project's csproj/vbproj file, e.g. if the project has a HintPath associated with the reference, but this assembly was added to the GAC later...

Though not sure of all the circumstances, the above mentioned scenario might have something related to the error.

Best,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
Lucian
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
Lucian
Top achievements
Rank 1