This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Telerik RadControl not displaying in LightSwitch (VS2010)

12 Answers 175 Views
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Pieter
Top achievements
Rank 1
Pieter asked on 14 May 2012, 01:25 PM
Hi,

I have been trolling the forums, but can't seem to find a clear solution to my problem. I want to use RadControl (specifically RadRichTextBox) in a LightSwitch (VS 2010, Silverlight 4) application. I installed the control, but it does not show up in my VS2010 toolbox.

Some forums that i found suggested that i manually add a tab in my toolbox which i then populate with the .dll files found in the Binaries folder of RadControl installation folder. I did this, but after adding all .dll files (some gave errors and could not be added) the RadRichTextBox is still not available in my toolbox.

I followed all instructions in the attached Word document for the "Adding RadRichTextBox to LightSwitch".zip file downloaded here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Pieter

12 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Iva Toteva
Telerik team
answered on 15 May 2012, 10:12 AM
Hello Pieter,

After the official release of Silverlight 5, we started distributing different versions of RadControls built for Silverlight 4 and Silverlight 5. There is an installer only for Silverlight 5 and as you probably know, LightSwitch works with Silverlight 4. Therefore, you should download a version of the controls built against Silverlight 4 from your account here (you should choose Silverlight 4 - DLLs only). The zip includes assemblies for in-place upgrade, which you can reference from the Silverlight project.

Note that sometimes Visual Studio tends to use the installed version, so I'd recommend uninstalling the version of the controls you have installed.

Regards,
Iva Toteva
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

Pieter
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 May 2012, 01:57 PM
Hi Iva,

Thanks for the reply.

It seems that I do not have access to the page you suggested. I receive the following error: 'Sorry. You are not a licensed user for this product and cannot access this page.'
I am not a licensed user, since I am still trying to evaluate RadControIs before we purchase. In the meantime, I will try and use the RadControl I got hold of (Silverlight 5) on Visual Studio 11 Beta. Our main application is still a LightSwitch 2011 application though and I would prefer to use RadControls there (thus Silverlight 4) instead of converting our app to VS11 Beta.

Looking forward to your response.
Regards,
Pieter
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 17 May 2012, 05:26 PM
Hello Pieter,

Sorry for the mixup. Here is the correct link for the trial page:
Download RadControls for Silverlight Version: 2012.1 326 (Mar 26, 2012)

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further assistance.

P.S. You can access all files for your trials

All the best,
Andrey
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

Pieter
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 May 2012, 01:53 PM
Hi there,

Still struggling with this problem. I also tried opening the Hands On Lab for LightSwitch (Adding RadRichTextBox to LightSwitch) but ran into trouble.

When building the project downloaded in the .zip file from the Telerik website, i get the following build error :
The type or namespace name 'RadRichTextBox' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

This relates to the file ...\RadRichTextLightSwitch\RadRichTextLightSwitch\Client\obj\Debug\RichTextControl.g.i.cs.
To solve this problem I add the following statement to the file:
using Telerik.Windows.Controls; When I rebuild, I get a dialog saying the RichTextControl.g.i.cs file has changed, and do I want to reload the file. When saying yes, the statement I just added is removed, and the rebuild fails. When saying No to the reload, the rebuild is successful. Now, when running the application, I get the same dialog asking to reload, and once again I have to say No, otherwise the build fails. After answering No, the application starts, and the following exception occurs in InitializeComponent: Set property 'Telerik.Windows.Controls.RadRibbonView.ApplicationMenu' threw an exception.

This is using LightSwitch with VS2010, thus SilverLight 4. We have the exact same problem when trying to run this project on another machine with VS 11 Beta and SilverLight 5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Pieter
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 28 May 2012, 01:23 PM

Hi Pieter,

Thank you for reporting this issue.

The problem is that the Lightswitch project on the site has been prepared for an older version of the controls. Starting from 2011 Q3, RadRichTextBoxRibbonUI is based on RadRibbonView and not RadRibbonBar. You can find more details on this breaking change here: http://www.telerik.com/help/silverlight/radrichtextbox-backward-compatibility.html

Overall what you need to do in order to get the demo to work with the latest 2012 Q1 SP1 is:

1. Remove the reference to Telerik.Windows.Controls.RibbonBar from the Client and ClientGenerated projects;
  2. Add a reference to Telerik.Windows.Controls.RibbonView in place of the removed assembly in both projects;
  3. Delete the Bin and Obj folders of the two projects.

This should fix the problem.

We will also make sure to update the sample project on the site.

All the best,
Andrey
the Telerik team

Qloud Pty Ltd
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Jun 2012, 03:53 AM
I am facing another problem.

I can add all required telerik dll and create a user control, but unable to find the control for adding as custom control.
I've few tricks . just add some control and change the name and it works for your examples but it is not working when creating New projects.

could you please suggest is the new version release Q2 2012 supports LS components.

Please send me some  light switch samples which are built on latest version i.e  RadControlsForSilverlightSetup_2012_2_611

Regards
Rama
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 13 Jun 2012, 02:48 PM
Hi Rama,

While updating the LightSwitch samples is something on our immediate TODO list, it will take some time to update everything. Please, bear with us some more while we go through that.

In the meantime, we could send you an updated sample if you require a specific one.

Regards,
Andrey
the Telerik team

Qloud Pty Ltd
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Jun 2012, 10:31 PM
Dear Andrey,

Thank you for your quick response.

We almost finished our project but we are facing issues with Telerik controls. Unable to find the the Telerik controls as Custom Controls when adding to the light Switch screen.

We are using RADScheduler, RADRichTextBox Mail Merge functionality in our application.

The current samples are working fine when we convert it into Visual Studio 2012 RC , but we are able to create a telerik usercontrols manually but they are not visible when adding as a custom control.

Please provide me the latest samples immediately as we are planning to launch our program in the next week. Atleast send me one sample from scratch which is executed in Visual Studio 2012 RC .

We like the Silverlight example dashboard of CMS . could you please send me the sample for integrating with light switch.

Regards
Rama
rama@shoppersstop.com.au
Qloud Pty Ltd
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Jun 2012, 10:17 AM
Dear Andrew,

Please send me the Light Switch samples immediately for our testing  RADScheduler, RADRichTextBox using latest release which should support Visual Studio 2012 RC,

Regards
Rama
Yana
Telerik team
answered on 19 Jun 2012, 02:57 PM
Hello Rama,

I am sorry, but we have not tested our LightSwitch examples in Visual Studio 2012 RC and we cannot provide the needed samples at the moment.  Furthermore, VS 2012 is still in its beta version and we cannot guarantee any proper use of our controls in it.

Kind regards,
Yana
the Telerik team

Qloud Pty Ltd
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Jun 2012, 03:19 PM
Hi Yana,

Thank you,

Even the rad controls are not working on Visual Studio 11 Beta.

Regards
Rama
Sponge
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Aug 2012, 02:11 PM
Hello Rama,

My feedback here is probably useless now that you most probably have deployed your project to the client. But...

I find it odd that you say the latest Q2 2012 version of the telerik controls doesn't work in the latest Visual Studio. I managed to Telerik Controls working as a custom control within VS 2010 + LightSwitch Beta 1 back in 2010 and even now, my custom controls made with Telerik Controls Q2 2012 works with VS 2010 SP1 + LightSwitch 2011. I have now deployed 2 enterprise-wide LightSwitch applications within my own organization using telerik custom controls since 2010.

From the screenshot you've included above, I noticed that you have not added a reference to your custom control project. Once the reference has been added, then, your custom telerik control project's namespace should appear in the list.

Hope this helps.
Tags
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
Asked by
Pieter
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Iva Toteva
Telerik team
Pieter
Top achievements