This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

SQL Server 2008 Developper Edition

11 Answers 340 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Francois MARTIN
Top achievements
Rank 2
Francois MARTIN asked on 20 Dec 2010, 08:49 AM
Hi guys,

this is a minor issue, but I've been thinking about writing about it for... years :)

The installation of the Telerik ASP.Net Ajax controls is intended to be done on a computer used by a developper. But strangely enough it takes into account only the SQL Express edition for the demo databases, leaving aside the full SQL Server 2008 R2 Developper Edition, which is of course the one generally used (otherwise one is missing the extensions like SQL Profiler, the super usefull tool!!)

Of course this isn't a difficult issue as one just needs to edit the win.ini file and manually attach the demo databases to the SQL Server instance, but wouldn't it be nice during the installation to detect the SQL Server version present on the computer, or at least to ask if the samples should be installed for SQL Express or the regular SQL Server ?

Francois

11 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 20 Dec 2010, 05:59 PM
Hi Francois,

Thanks indeed for the suggestion!
I'm just not sure if the databases deployed by the demos get used outside the demos themselves.

With that in mind, the implementation of the demo-databases-to-SQLServer-instance setup would involve the introduction of one more dialog to the installer. That in turn would result in yet another click during setup, which I'm not sure of.

Let me know your opinion on that. It is most appreciated.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.
Francois MARTIN
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 15 Jan 2011, 01:12 AM
Hello there,

well if I had to choose between another click in while in the install dialog, or manually copying the demo databases, joining them to the instance, and finnaly updating the web.config file, well... I would go for the single click !! :)
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Jan 2011, 06:04 PM
where are the demo databases installed for the Q3 2010 Live Examples.

I'm using the live examples with my development machine and it has SQL Server 2008 installed with Northwind and Adventureworks sample databases. I get the following error when I select the "

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Source File: c:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q3 2010\Live Demos\App_Code\SessionDataSource.cs    Line: 238
Thanks

Jeff O'Connell

Francois MARTIN
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 16 Jan 2011, 06:27 PM
Hi Jeff,

The error that you are experiencing comes from the fact that the samples are trying to establish a connection with the SQL Server Express edition, and you obviously have the developper edition. You should start by updating the web.config file to correct the connections.
Here is what I have on my side (just a sample for you):
<connectionStrings>
    <add name="NorthwindConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=Northwind;Integrated Security=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
    <add name="TelerikConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=Telerik;Integrated Security=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
    <add name="NorthwindConnectionString35" connectionString="Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=Northwind;Integrated Security=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
    <add name="TelerikConnectionString35" connectionString="Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=Telerik;Integrated Security=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
    <add name="NorthwindEntities" connectionString="metadata=res://*;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string="Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=Northwind;Integrated Security=True"" providerName="System.Data.EntityClient"/>
    <add name="TelerikEntities" connectionString="metadata=res://*;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string="Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=Telerik;Integrated Security=True"" providerName="System.Data.EntityClient"/>
    <add name="QSFRatingsConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=QSFRatings;Integrated Security=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
</connectionStrings>

you should have the demo databases in the following directory (if you are using an x64 OS):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q3 2010\Live Demos\App_Data

You should manually attach them in SQL Server 2008 if you arn't using the SQL Server 2008 Express edition.

.... See Erjan ? This is EXCATLY what I was talking about :)
A simple option in the install procedure would avoid sutch an issue...
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 17 Jan 2011, 05:03 PM
Hello Francois,

Thanks indeed for the heads up and the help!
I just changed the priority of the task and we will consider a possible implementation and the implications that might arise. Though not sure of when we might be able to add a check for the default SQL server instance to the RadControls installers, I'll do my best to have it for Q2 2011 the latest.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Jan 2011, 03:49 AM
Thank you so much Francois,

I have since purchased the Telerik and now I'm trying to get the Live Demos to run. I've taken your advice and tried to manually attach the databases, but I'm getting this error:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASPNETDB.MDF
base 'C:\WORK\DEV\TELERIK.WEB.EXAMPLES\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF' cannot be upgraded because it is read-only or has read-only files. Make the database or files writeable, and rerun recovery. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3415)

TELERIK.MDF
Database 'C:\USERS\PEICHEV\DOCUMENTS\QSF\DEV\TELERIK.WEB.EXAMPLES\APP_DATA\TELERIK.MDF' cannot be upgraded because it is read-only or has read-only files. Make the database or files writeable, and rerun recovery. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3415)

QSFRATINGS.MDF
Database 'C:\WORK\TELERIKWEBUI-TFS\FIXES\2009.Q3.1103\TELERIK.WEB.EXAMPLES\APP_DATA\QSFRATINGS.MDF' cannot be upgraded because it is read-only or has read-only files. Make the database or files writeable, and rerun recovery. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3415)

NORTHWIND.MDF
Database 'C:\QSF_LOCAL\DEV\TELERIK.WEB.EXAMPLES\APP_DATA\NORTHWIND.MDF' cannot be upgraded because it is read-only or has read-only files. Make the database or files writeable, and rerun recovery. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3415)

what might I doing wrong?

Francois MARTIN
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 22 Jan 2011, 07:29 AM
Hi Jeff,

this is probably a simple Windows right issue. As I guess that you didn't protect you database files to be read-only on purpose (obviously), have you checked the rights ?
What I mean is this : your SQL Server instance is running with a specific user profile (NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE may be ???). Are you sure that this internal Windows user has the right to read / write your database files (check the Windows filesystem rights in the directory C:\WORK\DEV ) ?

If you want to avoid this kind of issue for the future, I would suggest that you make your own SQL Server development instance run with the NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SYTEM account, which won't ever hav a "right problem"...

Francois.
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Jan 2011, 06:28 PM
Francois,
Once again. Thank You for your assistance with this matter.
After I sent the post yesterday I was able to figure out that it was a simple Windows file permissions issue that wasn't allowing me to attach the .mdf's in SQL Server 2008
Then after I was able to attach the files, I started dealing with a lot of login issues with those attached DB instances.

I'm glad to say that I have finally got the Telerik Demos program all working with the supplied DB files.

Here's what I had to do:
Copy the .mdf's from the attached instances and create my own separate DB objects. Once I did that for all four demo databases, I changed the web.config connections to reflect the new instances. Voila!!! It worked.

Thanks so much for your help Francois!

You should get beaucoup Telerik points for your assistance!

Jeff
Francois MARTIN
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 22 Jan 2011, 07:25 PM
:)
I don't know if Telerik will give me "lots of Telerik points", but It was a pleasure Jeff!

Francois
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 24 Jan 2011, 02:13 PM
Hi guys,

@Jeff, indeed, you're right, I hope you'll find our demos useful!
@Francois, you can bet on it! Thanks a lot for your help! Please, check your Telerik account :)

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Roman
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jul 2012, 10:54 PM
I know this is an old thread but i wanted to chime real quick on the attaching the DB to the developer instance. 
The error with read-only mdf/ldf is actually due to the fact that program files location is protected and requires a developer to runthe Sql Server Managment Studio Elevated.  Then the files are attached without any issues.

Thanks

Roman.
Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
Francois MARTIN
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
Francois MARTIN