This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

SPDataSource and Telerik controls cause Visual Studio 2010 to freeze

5 Answers 89 Views
Sharepoint Integration
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Clint
Top achievements
Rank 1
Clint asked on 16 Jul 2011, 04:57 PM
I start a new Visual Web Part project, add an SPDataSource to any Sharepoint list, and then add a telerik control, and map the control to the datasource and VS freezes.  This happens with the radlistbox, radgrid, and radlistview at a minimum.  I've used RadMenu and several other controls in my Sharepoint 2010 environment without issues.  Also, if I use a regular grid control and bind it to SPDataSource there's no problems.

I'm just simply adding it this way.

<SharePoint:SPDataSource ID="SPDataSource1" runat="server"
    DataSourceMode="List"
    UseInternalName="true" 
    SelectCommand="<View></View>">
    <SelectParameters>
        <asp:Parameter Name="WebUrl" DefaultValue="/subsite/" />
        <asp:Parameter Name="ListName" DefaultValue="Contacts" />
    </SelectParameters>
</SharePoint:SPDataSource>

Any ideas why this would be happening?  Can you test it out?

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Maria Ilieva
Telerik team
answered on 20 Jul 2011, 03:27 PM
Hello Clint,

Pleas note that binding RadGrid control to SPDataSource explicitly is not a supported scenario. You should use the RadGrid WebParts and bind the WebParts to the specific DataSource through the provided designer. Please refer to the following online examples.

Kind regards,
Maria Ilieva
the Telerik team

Register for the Q2 2011 What's New Webinar Week. Mark your calendar for the week starting July 18th and book your seat for a walk through of all the exciting stuff we will ship with the new release!

Clint
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jul 2011, 01:09 AM
Though the web parts are great (they're very quick, easy, and stylish), I'm finding I need the ability to connect to other web parts or setup a parent/child relationship between a grid/listview and other controls.

The easiest way I've found to hit a sharepoint list with radgrid is to use a needdatasource event

protected void RadGrid1_NeedDataSource(object source, Telerik.Web.UI.GridNeedDataSourceEventArgs e)
        {
            SPSite oSite = new SPSite("http://site");
            SPWeb oWeb = oSite.OpenWeb();
            SPList supplies = oWeb.Lists["Supplies"];

RadGrid1.DataSource = supplies.Items.GetDataTable();   
        }

After that, uncheck auto-generate columns and manually add/create your structure.

I've given up on spdatasource, even in code, as the parsespviewfieldsintodatacolumns seems to stare back at me all the time.  ListView and most other controls seem to be more forgiving.
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 25 Jul 2011, 10:00 AM
Hello Clint,

If you are looking for parent/child relationship mechanism, you may consider utilizing the hierarchy feature of the SPRadGrid web part, available as part of the Telerik SharePoint Acceleration Kit CTP (if applicable for your scenario).

By the way, in case you implemented some kind of connectivity/dependencies between web parts using our AJAX controls, feel free to post them in this forum thread. They can be useful to other Telerik community members and we will reward you with some Telerik points for sharing your solution (which can be used as a discount for future upgrades/purchases of our components).

Best regards,
Sebastian
the Telerik team

Register for the Q2 2011 What's New Webinar Week. Mark your calendar for the week starting July 18th and book your seat for a walk through of all the exciting stuff we will ship with the new release!

Clint
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Aug 2011, 03:13 AM
Any ideas on this error?  It seems that I get this frequently when binding datasources to grid.... what am I forgetting?

[NotImplementedException: The method or operation is not implemented.]
   Telerik.Web.UI.RadGrid.ParseSPViewFieldsIntoDataColumns(T firstObject) +39
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridDataTableFromEnumerable.ParseSPListItemProperties(T firstObject) +102
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridResolveEnumerable.ParseProperties() +549
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridResolveEnumerable.Initialize() +16
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridResolveEnumerable.EnsureInitialized() +28
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridEnumerableFromDataView..ctor(GridTableView owner, IEnumerable enumerable, Boolean CaseSensitive, Boolean autoGenerateColumns, GridColumnCollection presentColumns, String[] additionalField, Boolean retrieveAllFields, Boolean enableSplitHeaderText) +246
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridDataSourceHelper.CreateGridEnumerable(GridTableView owner, IEnumerable enumerable, Boolean caseSensitive, Boolean autoGenerateColumns, GridColumnCollection presentColumns, String[] additionalField, Boolean retrieveAllFields, Boolean enableSplitHeaderText) +235
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridDataSourceHelper.GetResolvedDataSource(GridTableView owner, Object dataSource, String dataMember, Boolean caseSensitive, Boolean autoGenerateColumns, GridColumnCollection presentColumns, String[] additionalField, Boolean retrieveAllFields, Boolean enableSplitHeaderText) +514
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.get_ResolvedDataSource() +264
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.CreateChildControls(IEnumerable dataSource, Boolean useDataSource) +42
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.PerformDataBinding(IEnumerable data) +72
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.OnDataSourceViewSelectCallback(IEnumerable data) +147
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect() +261
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.PerformSelect() +23
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.DataBind() +363
   Telerik.Web.UI.RadGrid.DataBind() +73
   Black.Modules3.Modules3UserControl.RefreshData() +1652
   Black.Modules3.Modules3UserControl.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +89
   System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +25
   System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +42
   System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +132
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +66
   System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +350
   Black.Modules3.Modules3.CreateChildControls() +155
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +146
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +61
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +224
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3394
Maria Ilieva
Telerik team
answered on 04 Aug 2011, 12:40 PM
Hello Clint,

From the presented error I noticed that you are binding the RadGrid to SP list using the NeedDataSource event. However as I previously mentioned this explicit binding is not a supported functionality in the current version of the control. Please use the designer to bind the Grid to the required database.

All the best,
Maria Ilieva
the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

Tags
Sharepoint Integration
Asked by
Clint
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Maria Ilieva
Telerik team
Clint
Top achievements
Rank 1