This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Radscriptmanager problem

10 Answers 128 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Ray
Top achievements
Rank 1
Ray asked on 14 Mar 2009, 11:02 PM

I must be missing something..

When letting rad replace the ajax script manager, the page no longer loads as there is a missing "Sys" object?
The controls work with Ajax script manger fine, but Radscriptmanager breaks the code?..

Thanks

10 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Todd Anglin
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 27 Mar 2009, 05:30 AM
Hello again Ray-

That's very strange! The RadScriptManager should work exactly like the regular ScriptManager (it just layers some functionality on-top of the standard control). Would you mind providing an example of your code and letting me know which version of the RadControls you're using? With that info I can provide more assistance.

Thanks!
-Todd
Ray
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Mar 2009, 09:05 PM
The code is part of an existing web application..

As mentioned, the action is to simply add Rad control, and select replace... with radscript manager..

With ajax manager all works fine, with replacement done by your code, it breaks..
with the error above...
Not sure how much more I can provide here, there is nothing manual otehr than adding your control, everything else is done by your code..

Todd Anglin
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 27 Mar 2009, 09:17 PM
Here's the scenario I just tested with the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q1 2009:

1. I created a new Web Site project in VS 2008 SP1
  2. I dragged-and-dropped a RadGrid on to my Default.aspx (Source View)
  3. I dragged-and-dropped a ASP.NET AJAX ScriptManager on to my page (just below opening Form tag)
  4. In the Design View, I used the smart tag on the RadGrid to change the ScriptManager to a RadScriptManager
  5. I saved my page and viewed in FireFox
  6. The page loaded and there were no Sys JavaScript errors

One possible problem in your scenario is that the required HttpHandler is not being properly registerd in your Web.Config. Make sure this exists in your Web.Config if you're using the RadScriptManager:

<httpHandlers> 
      <add path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource" verb="*" validate="false" /> 
</httpHandlers> 

If you're using IIS7, this may be required, too:

<system.webServer> 
    <handlers> 
         <add name="Telerik_Web_UI_WebResource_axd" verb="*" preCondition="integratedMode" path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource" /> 
    </handlers> 
</system.webServer> 

Hope that helps. If you still have trouble, try opening a support ticket and supply your project that exhibits the problem. From there, further analysis can be provided.

-Todd
Ray
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Mar 2009, 10:13 PM

"If you still have trouble, try opening a support ticket"

Please see the existing unresolved support ticket..
The steps look fine, except that you did not use the envionment specified in the support ticket of IE6..

The other suggestions have already been checked, as described in the support ticket..

See the rest of the action, replacing radscriptmanger resolves the problem, all else works fine, except radscriptmanger breaks AJAX with sys object error...

Todd Anglin
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 27 Mar 2009, 10:25 PM
Ray-

Sorrry for the confusion on the Support Tickets. As an evangelist, I do not have regular access to review the support ticket system. I provide most of my assistance through the forums. It seems you've already opened tickets for these issues, so I'll ask the team to give them extra attention and follow-up with answers so we can resolve this for you. I apologize making it seem like we're sending you in loops.

-Todd

P.S. Per your comment, I re-ran my previous test, this time opening the page in IE6, and things still worked as expected. As I recall, sometime IE6 has issues with compression. Try setting this property on your RadScriptManager and see if it helps with IE6: OutputCompression="Disabled".
Ray
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Mar 2009, 10:39 PM
"P.S. Per your comment, I re-ran my previous test, this time opening the page in IE6, and things still worked as expected. As I recall, sometime IE6 has issues with compression. Try setting this property on your RadScriptManager and see if it helps with IE6: OutputCompression="Disabled"."

First usable suggestion, I will try this...

But the key here is that AJAX scriptmanger works, and RADscriptmanager breaks AJAX..
Its realy that simple... your suggestion above seems at least in the right direction..

But RadScrioptmanager must behave exactly like script manager..
The simple add/remove tests suggests that this is not the case..
As per another thread, once we review Q2 2009 ( too many breaking issues with Q1 2009), and make a decision to buy with source code, we will simply fix ourselves..
Todd Anglin
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 27 Mar 2009, 11:06 PM
One last comment for now- you do know that you can use the stadard ASP.NET AJAX ScriptManager with the RadControls, right? There is no requirement to use the RadScriptManager. It is offered as a way to improve application performance by doing two things the standard Manager does not do:

1. It combines all RadControl script files for the controls on the page
  2. It compresses the scripts before sending them to the browser

If you are having trouble and you don't need these extra features, I'd suggest you just use the standard AJAX Manager. There is no sense fighting these problems, especially if you're just getting started.

-Todd
Ray
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Mar 2009, 11:48 PM
"One last comment for now- you do know that you can use the stadard ASP.NET AJAX ScriptManager with the RadControls, right?"

Yes, but as part of our evaluation we are testing stuff to see if it actually works...
RadManager seems to do the same thing as the AJAXtoolkit script manager i.e combing scripts..
When we look at Rad controls they use a significant muber of scripts for each page load (using fiddler).

The fact we are using Rad controls is effectively creating a "new" problem, hence we are testing if RadScriptmanager will solve the Rad created problem, and get us back to existing page load times.. see queueing issue with most browsers..

So in effect we have to use Radscriptmanger, but I had hoped this had been tested.. I see that compression is very new, and compression generally has problems with IE browsers and some cleint settings, so supect this is what is breaking Radscript manager..

But will test and see..

Ray
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Mar 2009, 03:27 AM

Todd, Success...
compression is causing the problem...

Thanks for your assistance..
Ray...

PS: this applies to all IE versions when used with SSL..also a well known problem...
I did not realise that this control had compression enabled by default (big mistake)...

Todd Anglin
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 28 Mar 2009, 03:34 AM
Happy to hear you solved your problem! We addressed some bugs in the RadScriptManager a few releases ago that fixed most issues wiht IE6, but it appears there may be a lingering issue in SSL environments. I'll ask the product team to take a look at this and make sure it's fixed for an upcomding service pack. Thanks for reporting back your test results.

Let us know if you have any additional questions during your tests and we'll be happy to help.

-Todd
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Ray
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Todd Anglin
Top achievements
Rank 2
Ray