This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadRibbonWindow Title Bar Issue with Win8 and VS2012RC

10 Answers 243 Views
RibbonView and RibbonWindow
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
Chris asked on 27 Jul 2012, 02:30 AM
Hi,

I'm using Telerik RadControls for WPF Q2 2012 within Visual Studio 2012 RC.  Generally, I've no problems, except with the RadRibbonWindow, which displays a light blue bar over the entire Title Bar area, effectively covering up the three buttons on the upper right hand side (see attached image).  The problem appears to be similar to that found in the post "trying to run existing application with RadRibbonWindow in Win8... Aero2 error" within this same forum. 

In that post (dated 07/12/2012), Viktor (from Telerik) replies that an internal build will be available in a week (approx. 07/19/2012).  However, I find no internal build that addresses this issue.  To be specific, my version of Telerik.Windows.Controls.RibbonView is 2012.2.607.40 and the runtime version is v4.0.30319.

I'm replacing the standard WPF MainWindow XAML file Window control with a Telerik RadRibbonWindow and set "RadRibbonWindow.IsWindowsThemeEnabled = false;" in the static constructor of MainWindow.  I'd appreciate any direction or fix you can provide.

Thanks,

Chris A

10 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Viktor Tsvetkov
Telerik team
answered on 27 Jul 2012, 07:29 AM
Hi Chris,

The fix is included in the Q2 2012 Service Pack, so could you please try these binaries and tell me if you still experience this issue?

Kind regards,
Viktor Tsvetkov
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

Chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Jul 2012, 04:40 PM
Hi Viktor,

While I was able to successfully upgrade from RadControls for WPF Q2 2012 to RadControls for WPF Q2 2012 SP1, I'm afraid my issue was only somewhat resolved.  As you can see from the attached image file, I do indeed now have the Minimize/Restore/Close buttons displayed in the upper right of the window and the light blue 'bar" is gone.  However, you'll note that even though I've set the window title to "Main Window", the wording does not display (only a pipe character displays).

Also, I suppose I expected the window to take on the default Office Black theme, as well.  You'll note that it still displays in the default Metro turquoise color.  This is a very basic test window, so I'll post the small amount of relevant XAML and C# code below:

<telerik:RadRibbonWindow  
x:Class="TestWPF.MainWindow"    
Title="Main Window"
Height="900"
Width="1100">
using System.Windows.Navigation;
using System.Windows.Shapes;
using Telerik.Windows.Controls;
using Telerik.Windows.Controls.Navigation;

namespace TestWPF
{
    public partial class MainWindow : RadRibbonWindow
    {
        static MainWindow()
        {
            RadRibbonWindow.IsWindowsThemeEnabled = false;
        }

public MainWindow()
        {
            InitializeComponent();
        }
    }
}

Thanks in advance for your continued help.

Sincerely,

Chris A
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
answered on 01 Aug 2012, 10:16 AM
Hello Chris,

As the RibbonWindow control is designed to allow a smoother UI when hosting the RibbonView in a Window, it uses the RibbonView settings to display information in its TitleBar. This is why the Title property of the RadRibbonWindow isn't applyed - instead you can set the RibbonView Title and ApplicationName properties which will be displaed insde the TitleBar of the RibbonWindow.

However, if you feel that it's iportant to log a feature request to apply the RibbonWindow.Title property when the window doesn't contain a RibboonView, just let us know and I will create an item in our PITS.

Kind regards,
Tina Stancheva
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

Chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Aug 2012, 10:01 PM
Hi Tina,

Thanks for the explanation. Now that I understand, I believe it is best for me to pursue my goal with the RadWindow, instead of the RadRibbonWindow.  I appreciate your response.

Sincerely,

Chris A
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
answered on 08 Oct 2013, 01:15 PM
Hello,
I'm working with the Q2 2013 version (2013.2 724) and the vertical bar is still here when there is no icon.
Patrick
Pavel R. Pavlov
Telerik team
answered on 11 Oct 2013, 11:08 AM
Hi Patrick,

I am happy to inform you that there is straightforward way to achieve your requirement. The RadRibbonView control expose WindowIconVisibility property. You can set it to Collapsed and the icon along with the separator will not be visible.

Please give this approach a try and let us know if it works for you.

Regards,
Pavel R. Pavlov
Telerik
TRY TELERIK'S NEWEST PRODUCT - EQATEC APPLICATION ANALYTICS for WPF.
Learn what features your users use (or don't use) in your application. Know your audience. Target it better. Develop wisely.
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
answered on 11 Oct 2013, 11:37 AM
Hi Pavel,
it works, but one little question: what is the purpose of the IconVisibility property of RadRibbonWindow?
Patrick
Pavel R. Pavlov
Telerik team
answered on 16 Oct 2013, 07:46 AM
Hello Patrick,

You are right that property can be a bit confusing. It can be used to control the visibility of the icon when the RadRibbonWindow is used like ordinary window.

However, when a RadRibbonView is hosted inside, that property is no longer respected. With the current implementation of the RadRibbonView and the RadRibbonWindow components you need to set the Icon using the property of the RadRibbonWindow and if you need to control the icons' visibility you need to use the property of the RadRibbonView component. We will try to change this behavior in some of the up coming official releases.

Please accept our apology for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Pavel R. Pavlov
Telerik
Learn what features your users use (or don't use) in your application. Know your audience. Target it better. Develop wisely.
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
answered on 16 Oct 2013, 08:11 AM
Hi Pavel,
thanks for the explanation.
But this really needs to be in the documentation. I think that each time someone asks for explanation/clarification about a member or a class, the documentation must be updated. That's what I do and I think it's the better way to have good documentation.
Patrick
Pavel R. Pavlov
Telerik team
answered on 18 Oct 2013, 01:07 PM
Hello Patrick,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We will consider your suggestion. If we approve it we will try to update our documentation.  

Regards,
Pavel R. Pavlov
Telerik
Tags
RibbonView and RibbonWindow
Asked by
Chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Viktor Tsvetkov
Telerik team
Chris
Top achievements
Rank 1