RadAjax for ASP.NET AJAX is the successor of RadAjax for ASP.NET. The next generation of RadControls is built entirely on top of ASP.NET AJAX, utilizing its common client-side framework and programming model. RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX introduce a number of new features and performance optimizations, which are hard or impossible to implement in the regular ASP.NET suite. The integration and API models of the controls are also better, due to the common framework they share (RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX are shipped as a single assembly - Telerik.Web.UI.dll.) It is important to note that this new generation of RadControls will work only on ASP.NET 2.0 and 3.5 because of the underlying ASP.NET AJAX framework.
Although there are a lot of new features in RadAjax for ASP.NET AJAX some of the functionality from the “classic” ASP.NET version is still the same. The forum threads in the RadAjax for ASP.NET forum
are still relevant if they are in the following areas:
- DesignTime work with the control - AjaxSettings are still defined in the same user friendly way, through two treeviews (one for initiating controls and one for updated controls).
- Server-side event AjaxRequest is still handled in the same way and requires you to have the AjaxManager/AjaxPanel set as initiator.
- defining AjaxSettings programatically - still uses the same syntax.
- Updating the <head> tag, so that styled controls can properly register their stylesheets (EnablePageHeadUpdate=true)
- The ResponseScripts collection is still at your disposal for triggering custom actions after ajax request.
- The queuing mechanism is implemented as well. Only difference here is that it is triggered by a property (RequestQueueSize) and not by a method (SetMaxRequestQueueSize())
If you upgrade your projects from RadAjax for ASP.NET to RadAjax for ASP.NET AJAX we encourage you to refer to this online help article
, which highlights the most important steps in the migration process.
We hope this is helpful. If you need any assistance in the upgrade process or you have any other questions, please contact us.