Rad Combo Box bind with 50,000 records

3 posts, 0 answers
  1. Alexis
    Alexis avatar
    23 posts

Posted 27 Jun 2011 Link to this post

Hi Team,
     We are using Rad Combo boxes in my screen, I need to bind 50,000 records into a a combo box2 depending on the value selected in a combo box1. while binding Page is getting hanged. We are using Stored Procedure to bind the values into combo box2. Please give any suggestion on this ASAP.

Alexis A

2. Princy
    Princy avatar
    17421 posts

Hello Alexis,

The best approach to optimize the performance speed of Telerik RadComboBox when using huge amount of items is using the load-on-demand feature.  The load-on-demand mechanism loads the items only when the user types or clicks in the field or the drop-arrow image. It filters the Items server-side before they are loaded in the control and the Filter feature performs filtering at client-side. And I recommend you to retrieve data in portions - with use of ShowMoreResultsBox and VirtualScrolling options.

Take a look at the this demo which demonstrates the various Load On Demand Modes.

3. DevCraft R3 2016 release webinar banner
  4. Cat Cheshire
    Cat Cheshire avatar
    128 posts

In general it is not recommended to load such enormous amount of items in combobox.
    No matter whether you use Load On Demand or not - it is obvious that with 50 000 items you will face a performance issue.