Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
Rob A. asked on 16 Jun 2021, 03:41 PM

In VS 2019 I got prompted to update to a new version R2 2021 SP1.  I accepted and got the download window, in the download window I clicked on "Release Notes" and my Chrome browser opened with page of notes.

I return to VS and the download shows 100% complete but both the "Cancel" and "Minimize" buttons are grayed out.  Waited about 10 minutes and still the same, so I had to "End Task" VS 2019.

Rob.

Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
commented on 16 Jun 2021, 04:24 PM

UPDATE: now VS 2019 will no longer load my project? This is NOT good.
Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
commented on 16 Jun 2021, 04:25 PM

UPDATE 2: this is the error I see in OS event log:
Application 'C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Temp\7zS8E290B14\ProgressControlPanel.exe' (pid 14664) cannot be restarted - Application SID does not match Conductor SID..
Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
commented on 16 Jun 2021, 05:08 PM | edited

UPDATE 3: VS 2019 finally got out of unresponsive state and reported the following error: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11tkOak37b1R_1rzEjVbZy7Qpufu6_q8o/view?usp=sharing

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Nikolay Mishev
Telerik team
answered on 18 Jun 2021, 11:32 AM

Hi Robin,

Thank you for contacting us.

We have addressed this issue to some degree and we try to improve the performance of our Extensions all the time. There are different reasons for this behavior and we will appreciate it if you can share with us some more information on the matter so we can better understand the issue and act accordingly:

1. Which Telerik extensions you have installed in your Visual Studio 2019?
  2. Generate Visual Studio Activity log file and send it to us. To do so follow the instructions marked in yellow at the bottom of this article.
  3. Generate a memory dump file. Here are the steps:
    1. Launch Visual Studio 2019.
    2. Launch Windows Task Manager.
    3. Find Microsoft Visual Studio application and expand it.
    4. Reproduce the problem.
    5. Right-click on Microsoft Visual Studio and click on Create dump file.
    6. Make sure that you click on Create dump file when Visual Studio is not responding!

Please, share the generated files via file sharing by your choice. Or you can use the share I've created(please include your name when naming the files) - https://bit.ly/3pghAAZ

In the meantime, you can safely disable the extension that is causing the hang and enable it if you need to use the extension. You can do that through Visual Studio menu Extensions -> Manage Extensions Installed tab.

Regards,
Nikolay Mishev
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Blazor course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.

Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
commented on 23 Jun 2021, 12:29 AM

Unfortunately this problem is a significant issue for me. After every Telerik update, VS seems to get stuck in "Loading Extensions" and I get other messages about "Just Mock" that I have NO interest in at all?? Some of the major side affects to Telerik problem is that it breaks VS Navigation dropdown, when I click a control from one of my xaml.vb files and select it nothing happens, just resets back to "MainWindow". As of right now VS 2019 16.10.2 is not functional.
Nikolay Mishev
Telerik team
commented on 25 Jun 2021, 08:34 AM

Hi Robin,

I can see there are two threads regarding a similar issue that you have opened. I have already answered the other one. So I would suggest you continue the discussion in the other thread so things would be in one place.

Regarding the JustMock and other products that you do not want to use you can safely uninstall them from your machine from Windows Control Panel. Or remove them only from Visual Studio by going to Visual Studio menu Extensions->Manage Extensions Installed tab and click the uninstall button. Then close Visual Studio and finish the popup wizard that will uninstall the extensions.

Regards,

Nikolay

Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
commented on 25 Jun 2021, 08:36 PM

Hi Nikolay, I got your other response, thank you. FYI this issue "other" issue with VS navigation dropdowns that I thought was related to Telerik turns out to be a bug in VS 2019 16.10.2 update see here: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/t/Item-Navigation-Dropdown-not-working/1449816?space=8&q=navigation+dropdown+does+select+control%3F

Unfortunately Microsoft seem to dragging their feet on get this issue fixed. Excuse my frustration it can be VERY time consuming to spend 80% of my day research bugs with software from external vendors like Microsoft, Telerik, etc. that are tools that are supposed to help me build software.

Software Engineers seems to be in a downward spiral in terms of companies doing Quality Assurance (testing) as they keep building on top of complexity because "new" sells and "quality" doesn't. I've been creating software for 40+ years back in the DOS/CPM days so my perspective comes from "the beginning" of PC based software engineering. Every year the quality threshold of software goes down because the complexity and reliance of so many external components goes up and it's simply impossible to do proper testing. Add marketing pressure to release and the quality threshold drops even more.

Anyway, I know this is not your specific issue, it's a market/management problem.

Cheers, Rob.
Tags
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
Asked by
Rob A.
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
Answers by
Nikolay Mishev