This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Q3 2016 v 1027 Editor broken in iOS

3 Answers 135 Views
Editor
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Albert Shenker
Top achievements
Rank 1
Veteran
Iron
Albert Shenker asked on 09 Dec 2016, 07:04 PM

I have run into a whole bunch of problems with the editor control on iPhone/Safari devices in the latest release. The .focus() client-side method doesn't appear to work when inside a timeout. In this case, the editor can never receive focus either. Touching inside the editor does not bring up the keyboard.

Without a timeout, the editor receives focus and the keyboard comes up, however, when users type, no letters are displayed. THe cursor moves along as if typing is occurring, but nothing is shown in the editor. I tried the Lightweight RenderMode, which didn't look very good in iOS. I tried the Mobile Rendermode, which displayed better, but didn't function properly. Typing in the editor would display a white screen which covered the rest of the site and could never be recovered.

I have reverted back to a previous version of the controls (Q1). Needing to do this is becoming an all-too frequent occurrence.

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Ianko
Telerik team
answered on 14 Dec 2016, 09:17 AM

Hello Albert,

Typically, the supported mode of RadEditor for Mobile devices is the Mobile RenderMode (Phone Layout). Using the Lightweight or Classic in mobile devices is not supported as there are many native limitations regarding the editable iframe that cannot be solved technically from web components' end. 

The client-side .focus() method is a jQuery method that is not implemented in RadEditor. The RadEditor API exposes the .setFocus() method. However, this should not bring up the keyboard as in mobile devices it is a matter of security restriction—keyboard will open up only if there is a user interaction. Opening the keyboard programmatically could be considered as violation of some internal rules, which are not implemented in RadEditor, but in the native mobile browser applications. 

I am not sure how this is implemented so to work with the old version. Can you provide a sample code, how focusing is implemented so to check that out on my end and see if there is indeed a regression bug?

As for recovering from edit mode in Phone Layout, you need to setup the ToggleScreenMode tool which will close the editing mode and restore from fullscreen, which will show the page as designed. 

Regards,
Ianko
Telerik by Progress
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular 2 components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
Albert Shenker
Top achievements
Rank 1
Veteran
Iron
answered on 14 Dec 2016, 04:06 PM

Sorry, I meant setFocus(). Anyhow, I have taken your suggestions and made some progress with the Mobile Rendermode (BTW, it would be useful for you guys to provide a ToolsFile.xml example geared towards Mobile, since those geared towards desktop do not work very well with Rendermode Mobile.

Anyhow, I am still running into issues in the Q3 version. Using RenderMode=Mobile, I can't seem to get the AjaxSpellCheck tool to work. The icon appears, but clicking on this doesn't to do anything. I do notice some javascript errors.

attached error1.jpg shows the error message and error2.jp shows the source

Ianko
Telerik team
answered on 15 Dec 2016, 07:52 AM

Hello Albert,

The AjaxSpellCheck tool is not considered for mobile rendering and thus, it is not among the supported ones for the Phone Layout. The built-in spellchecker of the mobile browser is sufficient enough and there has been no demand to include that tool in the mobile render mode. 

You can post a feature request for that tool to be included in the Mobile rendering as well. You can post your feedback and suggestion here: https://feedback.telerik.com/Project/108/

Regards,
Ianko
Telerik by Progress
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular 2 components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
Tags
Editor
Asked by
Albert Shenker
Top achievements
Rank 1
Veteran
Iron
Answers by
Ianko
Telerik team
Albert Shenker