This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Preview of all radbook pages in VS2010, not just first two

4 Answers 22 Views
Book
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Douglas
Top achievements
Rank 1
Douglas asked on 16 Jul 2013, 10:40 AM
Is there a way to see the WYSIWYG preview of all radBook pages in the Design view panel of Visual Studio 2010, not just pages 1 and 2.  For example, if I load the sample app (http://www.telerik.com/help/silverlight/radbook-getting-started.html), I can only see pages 1 and 2, not 3 or 4. 

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
answered on 17 Jul 2013, 08:13 AM
Hello Douglas,

You can't see all RadBook pages horizontally displayed next to each other in the design view of VS2010. However, when you move the cursor from page to page in XAML, the design view reflects the changes and displays the page you've marked with the cursor.

So in the example you mentioned, if you move the cursor in XAML to the RadBookItem displaying Page 3, the design view will reflect that change and will flip the pages so that you can now see pages 3 and 4. But in order to take advantage of that design-time support, you need to make sure that the Telerik design assemblies are included in the folder from which you've referenced the required Telerik assemblies for your assembly.

Regards,
Tina Stancheva
Telerik
TRY TELERIK'S NEWEST PRODUCT - EQATEC APPLICATION ANALYTICS for SILVERLIGHT.
Learn what features your users use (or don't use) in your application. Know your audience. Target it better. Develop wisely.
Douglas
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Jul 2013, 11:04 PM
Hello TIna,

thanks for the response; the scenario you describe in your second paragraph is exactly what I am trying to achieve.  I added the Telerik design assemblies to a sub-folder of the Telerik controls assemblies and the example worked well; I was able to navigate the pages of the radBook at design time in Visual Studio.

I tried the same fix on a larger project, but so far without any success.  It'll take me a while to go through the solution and make sure I've not missed anything.  In the meantime, do you know if
- Visual Studio provides feedback when design assemblies are not found?
- there are circumstances where the navigation at design time such as you described would not work?

Thanks,

Douglas
Douglas
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Jul 2013, 11:19 PM
Hello Tina, 

thanks for your response.  The scenario you describe in your second paragraph is exactly what I wanted to achieve.  I added the design assemblies as you described and was then able to navigate the radBook at design time in Visual Studio, with the pages flipping as I moved the cursor down the code. 

I tried to apply the same fix to a larger project, but without success so far.  It'll take a while to make sure I've not missed anythig.  In the meantime, do you know 
1) if there are any circumstances where the design time page flipping / book navigation would not work, for example the radBook is a child of a Grid - would that affect the visualisation in Visual Studio?
2) Is there a way of finding out if Visual Studio is missing or has not been able to load a deisng assembly?

Thanks!

Douglas 
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
answered on 22 Jul 2013, 09:17 AM
Hi Douglas,

I'm not sure if you managed to find the cause for the design-time issues in your original solution. However, I just wanted to note that we're not aware of a case where the designer won't be able to properly change the pages of the RadBook control.

And regarding the design-time assemblies, please have in mind that if a runtime assembly is referenced in a Silverlight project, the VS designer will:
  • first try to load design-time information from the runtime assembly;
  • then look for the design-time assemblies in the same directory as the runtime assembly; if found, the designer will try to load design time information from the design dlls
  • then look for the design-time assemblies in the Design subfolder, if it exists.

Based on that information, what you can do is check in your original solution whether all Telerik assemblies are referenced from the same directory and whether this directory contains the Telerik design folder with all required Telerik design assemblies.

Regards,
Tina Stancheva
Telerik
TRY TELERIK'S NEWEST PRODUCT - EQATEC APPLICATION ANALYTICS for SILVERLIGHT.
Learn what features your users use (or don't use) in your application. Know your audience. Target it better. Develop wisely.
Tags
Book
Asked by
Douglas
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
Douglas
Top achievements
Rank 1