This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

No Data

1 Answer 172 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Ben Alexandra
Top achievements
Rank 2
Ben Alexandra asked on 12 Aug 2007, 03:55 PM
Hi,

I downloaded the reporting tool a few days ago and have been playing with it.  It looks slick and some of the features coming in Q2 look great.  I am, however, having some trouble binding data...

I have a DataSet that queries a SQL db (connection string stored in web.config as normal).  It works fine via the DataSet editor and is identical to all the DataSets I've setup in the past.  When I create a new Telerik Report and set that DataSet as the DataSource, it recognizes it and shows me all the fields in the Telerik Data Explorer window.  I drag them on to report and it all looks fine.  I then create a new aspx page and drop a Telerik Report Viewer on and tie it to the report I just created and run it and it's empty.  If I put text in the header or footer, they show up, but there's no data for the details section.

If I drop a datagrid on the page and tie it to the same DataSet, it works fine.

I then created a Crystal report using the same DataSet and when I went to run it, I got a page that asked for server, db, user, pwd info (said "The report you requested requires further information").

I then created an XML file with the data in it (just locally so there wouldn't be any permissions issues) and then in the report1.cs created a dataset and read the XML into the dataset and manually created fields on the report tied to the fieldnames from the XML and it worked perfectly.

It seems that there is some permissions issue.  Have you had this issue before and is there an easy way to remedy it?  Your report writer is intuitive and everything was working the way I expected, till suddenly there was no data!  Obviously I can't use XML for everything, so I need to figure out a better way to get around this issue.

There are lots of results for the issue I found with the Crystal reports, and likely it's the same underlying problem as I'm seeing with the Telerik reports (I'm guessing)
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22The+report+you+requested+requires+further+information%22+ASP%2eNET+Crystal+Reports

Thanks for any help

Ben

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Chavdar
Telerik team
answered on 13 Aug 2007, 03:14 PM
Hi Ben,

In case you are using a Web Site project and are adding Telerik Report items to it, I would recommend moving the report items into a separate class library project and reference them from there. Due to some peculiarities of the Web Site there might be some specific problems if the reports exist directly in it.

If the same issue still exists after that it would be best if you send us a sample project with your setup so that we can research the problem. You can do in a new support ticket.

Regards,
Chavdar
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Ben Alexandra
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Chavdar