We have identified several occurrences of multiple/duplicated ToolBox items existing in the Visual Studio Toolbox. Unfortunately these seem to stem from a glitch in Visual Studio, which was still not reproduced reliably so that we can fix it, or ask Microsoft for a fix.
Below are the different kinds of occurrences and their possible fixes:
- Duplicate Toolbox items, remaining two entries per control:
- this could be a result of having parallel RadControls installations, which is the correct behavior (Visual Studio 2008 only)
- this could be the result of an improper deregistration of an older RadControls distribution, followed by the registration of the newer one. Usually either of the two approaches below helps fixing the problem:
- Close Visual Studio instances, start Windows Explorer, navigate to %localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0 and delete the *.tbd files
- Right-click the Toolbox inside Visual Studio and click Reset
- Multiple entries per control, number increasing with each start of the IDE: this is the worst scenario we have come across. All the registry entries and files on the customer machine seemed fine in this case. The only fix we were able to apply was a complete uninstall of RadControls and Visual Studio 2010, followed by a clean install of the IDE and the RadControls.
The Telerik team