This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Microsoft JScript runtime error: Object doesn't support this property or method

25 Answers 602 Views
ComboBox
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Stefan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Stefan asked on 21 Apr 2010, 11:59 PM
All comboboxes in my project result in above JScript exception with VS2010 final and RadControls_for_ASP.NET_AJAX_2010_1_415_dev.msi installed. The exception happens when I select a value and the combobox makes a ajax postback to the server for updating other fields at the same form.

Got any clues about what is happening ?

VS2010 points to this JScript function as beeing the bad guy:
_removeDropDown:function(){
var _3c=this.get_dropDownElement().parentNode;
_3c.parentNode.removeChild(_3c);
if(this._disposeChildElements&&typeof (Sys.WebForms)!="undefined"){
Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManager.getInstance()._destroyTree(_3c);
}

I have upgraded this project from VS2005 and RadControls_for_ASP.NET_AJAX_2009_2_826_dev.msi

25 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Simon
Telerik team
answered on 22 Apr 2010, 04:27 PM
Hello Stefan,

We have fixed this issue some time ago. I just checked the code and the fix is still there. On the other hand, your code is different and probably is older.

Can you please confirm that you are using v2010.1.415?

Greetings,
Simon
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Stefan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Apr 2010, 11:10 PM
Hi Simon,

I just checked version on my machine and went directly to the DLL's.
Telerik.web.design.dll which is 2010.1.415.40
Telerik.Web.UI.dll version is 2010.1.415.40

With regards
Stefan

Simon
Telerik team
answered on 23 Apr 2010, 09:35 AM
Hello Stefan,

This is really strange.

Below is the code of the _removeDropDown method since we made the fix. Can you please put the script on your page (after the ScriptManager) and verify whether it resolves the issue?
Telerik.Web.UI.RadComboBox.prototype._removeDropDown = function() {
    var slide = this.get_dropDownElement().parentNode;
    slide.parentNode.removeChild(slide);

if (this._disposeChildElements)
        $telerik.disposeElement(slide);

if (!$telerik.isSafari)
        slide.outerHTML = null;
    this._dropDownElement = null;
};

Kind regards,
Simon
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Stefan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Apr 2010, 10:48 PM
Hi Simon,

Sorry for this stupid post, it was my own problem. I had an old  "Q2 2009 Telerik.Web.UI.dll" in my project bin directory.
Everything works well now and currently I have no problems...

With regards
Stefan
Simon
Telerik team
answered on 26 Apr 2010, 11:45 AM
Hi Stefan,

It is a common issue to reference an old version of the assembly when one have a different installed. Sometimes caching of the assemblies also causes similar issues. In any case it is good that we found that there is version mismatch.

Please feel free to write to us whenever you need assistance or info about our products.

Best wishes,
Simon
the Telerik team

Rola
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Sep 2010, 11:39 AM
Simon , can you please show exactly where to put the code of _removeDropDown script ?? i am facing same problem ,but radgrid radcombobox column
Simon
Telerik team
answered on 28 Sep 2010, 01:47 PM
Hi Rola,

This script can be in any place *after* the ScriptManager on the page.

All the best,
Simon
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Rola
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Sep 2010, 02:22 PM
i paste it as its after scriptManager tag in the html source but it didn't work , it was like setting a normal text , it appeared in black color font .It wasn't compiled as a function .

i tried this : 
 function Telerik.Web.UI.RadComboBox.prototype._removeDropDown() {
    var slide = this.get_dropDownElement().parentNode;
    slide.parentNode.removeChild(slide);

if (this._disposeChildElements)
        $telerik.disposeElement(slide);

if (!$telerik.isSafari)
        slide.outerHTML = null;
    this._dropDownElement = null;
};

but it didn't work either ! any idea 
Simon
Telerik team
answered on 28 Sep 2010, 04:48 PM
Hello Rola,

This is so because you are missing the enclosing <script type='text/javascript'> [script code goes here] </script> tags. I've forgotten to include them in the code snippet, so please excuse me for this.

Greetings,
Simon
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Rola
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Sep 2010, 05:32 AM
Hello Simon,

i did so and it  gave this error " Microsoft JScript runtime error: 'Telerik.Web.UI.RadComboBox.prototype' is null or not an object "

what could it be ????
Simon
Telerik team
answered on 01 Oct 2010, 02:14 PM
Hello Rola,

This could happen if the RadComboBox is initially invisible or the script is before the ScriptManager.

Sincerely yours,
Simon
the Telerik team
Mohamed Ramadan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Nov 2010, 03:45 PM
Hello Simon,

I meet similar Issue when user navigate to different URL away of my page. I get a JS Error at Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource

The JS Error is as following:
_removeDropDown:function(){
  var c=this.get_dropDownElement().parentNode;
  c.parentNode.removeChild(c);
  if(this._disposeChildElements)
  {
    $telerik.disposeElement(c);
  }
  if(!$telerik.isSafari)
  {
    c.outerHTML=null;
  }
  this._dropDownElement=null;
}

It crash at this line of code "c.parentNode.removeChild(c);" as c is always return null.

My page has a RadWindow which has a RadComboBox and both of them are invisible. It just appear in special case of the page.

Rad Window is defined as following:
<telerik:RadWindow ID="WinFirms" runat="server" Title="Select Firm" Width="500" Height="200" Behaviors="Move"  VisibleStatusbar="false"
    VisibleOnPageLoad="false" Modal="true" EnableShadow="true" DestroyOnClose="false" Skin="Sunset">
    <ContentTemplate>
    <div style="padding:10px;">
        <div style="float:left; width:10px;">
        Firm:
        </div>
        <div>
            <telerik:RadComboBox runat="server" ID="ddlFirm" Width="100%" MarkFirstMatch="True" CausesValidation="false" HighlightTemplatedItems="true">
                <HeaderTemplate>
                        <table style="width:95%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" class="MultiColumnComboBox">
                            <tr>
                                <td style="width: 50px">DFSA No</td>
                                <td style="width: 100px">Firm Name</td>
                                <td style="width: 50px">Capacity</td>
                            </tr>
                        </table>
                    </HeaderTemplate>
                    <ItemTemplate>
                        <table style="width:100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" class="MultiColumnComboBox">
                            <tr>
                                <td style="width: 20%; color:Gray;"><%#DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "DfsaNo")%> </td>
                                <td style="width: 70%"><%#DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "DName")%></td>
                                <td style="width: 10%; color:Gray;"><%#DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "Capacity")%></td>
                            </tr>
                        </table>
                    </ItemTemplate>
                </telerik:RadComboBox>
        </div>
        </div>
        <div style="text-align:center;">
            <asp:RequiredFieldValidator ID="RequiredFieldValidator1" runat="server" ErrorMessage="Firm is required" Display="Dynamic" ControlToValidate="ddlFirm"></asp:RequiredFieldValidator>
            <asp:Button runat="server" id="WinOK" OnClientClick="SubmitFirmDialog();return false;" Text="OK" UseSubmitBehavior="False" ValidationGroup="SubmitWindow" CausesValidation="true"/>
            <asp:Button runat="server" id="WinCancel" OnClientClick="Hide();return false;" Text="Cancel" UseSubmitBehavior="False"  />
        </div>
    </ContentTemplate>
</telerik:RadWindow>

I am using 
Telerik.Web.UI.dll  (2010.1.415.35)
Telerik.Web.Design.dll (2010.1.415.35)

Could you help in that please?

Thanks,
Mohamed Ramadan
YAVUZ
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Dec 2010, 02:18 PM
When I use tabscript and click one tab which has no tabstrip , I getting this error again. Do you have any solution ?
Kalina
Telerik team
answered on 03 Dec 2010, 03:57 PM
Hello YAVUZ,

Could you please open a new support ticket and send us a simplified runnable project that reproduces this issue?
In order to help you we need to reproduce this strange RadTabStrip behaviour on our side.
Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Kalina
the Telerik team
Browse the vast support resources we have to jumpstart your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.
Travis
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Jan 2011, 07:06 PM
I have this same problem, does upgrading really help?  I tried putting the code in javascript, but that did not help.  Any help is appreciated.
Simon
Telerik team
answered on 21 Jan 2011, 10:16 AM
Hello Travis,

Looking back at the thread, there have been a number of different discussed issues. Can you please specify, to which exactly do you refer?

Greetings,
Simon
the Telerik team
Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.
Travis
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Jan 2011, 04:45 PM
I had an old version and upgraded which fixed the issue.
Richard
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Sep 2011, 10:57 AM
Hi I'm using the 2009.1.402.35 and I'm getting the same problem.
Youri
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Oct 2011, 08:52 AM
Dears ,
i have a problem with Ajax rad control,

the grid works done but when navigate on any page on the application the error was occurred:

c.parentNode.removeChild(c);

c always return null???????????

Note : i use Telerik V2010.1.519.20

can anyone help me please?
<td valign="top">
<telerik:RadAjaxManager ID="radAjaxManager" runat="server">
<AjaxSettings>
<telerik:AjaxSetting>
 <UpdatedControls>
<telerik:AjaxUpdatedControl ControlID="radAjaxPanel" LoadingPanelID="radAjaxLoadingPanel" />
  </UpdatedControls>
    </telerik:AjaxSetting>
     </AjaxSettings>
   </telerik:RadAjaxManager>
  <telerik:RadAjaxLoadingPanel ID="radAjaxLoadingPanel" runat="server">
    </telerik:RadAjaxLoadingPanel>
    <telerik:RadAjaxPanel ID="radAjaxPanel" runat="server" LoadingPanelID="radAjaxLoadingPanel">
  <telerik:RadGrid ID="gvMyTransactions" runat="server" Width="100%" OnColumnCreating="GridViewColumnCreating"
 OnItemCommand="GridViewItemCommand" OnItemCreated="GridViewItemCreated" OnPageIndexChanged="GridViewPageIndexChanged"
 OnNeedDataSource="GridViewNeedDataSource" OnSortCommand="GridViewSortCommand"
 OnItemDataBound="GridViewItemDataBound">
 <MasterTableView CellSpacing="0" CellPadding="0">
<Columns>
mathieu cupryk
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Jun 2012, 05:28 PM
Version: 2009.2.701.20

I bought 10 licenses for koretelematics.com

I am trying to fix an issue.
Radoslav
Telerik team
answered on 28 Jun 2012, 07:29 AM
Hello Mathieu,

Could you please upgrade to the latest version of RadControls (2012.2.607) and let me know if the issue still persists?

Looking forward for your reply.

All the best,
Radoslav
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Nicolaï
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 29 Oct 2012, 01:29 PM
Same issue, on same line as mentionned above; c.parentNode.removeChild(c);
For RadComboBox.prototype._removeDropDown

Version: 2012.3.1016.35

Radoslav
Telerik team
answered on 01 Nov 2012, 08:09 AM
Hello Nicolaï,

Could you please post your aspx page markup with the related code behind file? Thus we will be able to get more information about your scenario and provide you more to the point answer.  Also it will be helpful if you could provide the steps for reproducing the described issue.

Regards,
Radoslav
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
kirtan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Apr 2013, 03:35 PM
Hello,

I have developed a web application using ASP.NET webforms. In the application, I have used telerik controls. Whenever I run applicaion, it gives me Java script error. The error is as follows: "Microsoft JScript runtime error: Object doesn't support property or method '_destroyTree'"

Please explain me what the problem is. Your help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,
Kirtan
Radoslav
Telerik team
answered on 17 Apr 2013, 01:38 PM
Hi Kirtan,

Make sure the script resources are loaded properly in the browser when you load the page. Check this help topics:
http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/introduction-troubleshooting.html
http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/introduction-web-resources-troubleshooting.html

If you have some complex scenario and not sure if all scripts are loaded correctly (if you add some controls too late in the page life cycle). You could try to include them manually:
http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/introduction-disabling-embedded-resources.html

Additionally it will be helpful if you could post you aspx page markup with the related code behind file.

Regards,
Radoslav
the Telerik team
Tags
ComboBox
Asked by
Stefan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Simon
Telerik team
Stefan
Top achievements
Rank 1