I recently posted this as a support ticket, but hopefully someone knows the answer to this problem (or can replicate it):
You and I have a problem in common - and I can't seem to fix it on my end so I'll let you know about your problem and hopefully you'll fill me in on how to fix it.
This problem can be labelled "strange" at best since it is so consistently inconsistent.
My dev machine's setup is Win Vista, VS 2005 Standard, IE 7. I experience no problems and never receive the dreaded PageRequestManagerParserErrorException
when browsing my site, your site, or any other site that uses ASP.NET Ajax. So, of course, I thought that all was well with my work. Apparently not so.
A customer tipped me off that she was getting the PageRequestManagerParserErrorException
whenever she used a page with ASP.NET Ajax interactivity. The specific example is www.huronperthlakers.ca
which uses Ajax when you click on an article title in the "other recent articles" section. It is important to note that the page will load fine; it's whenever there's a callback that the error fires.
So I tried this on some other computers around the office, and low and behold, most (but not all) of the machines also were getting the error. Some machines were IE6, but most are IE7. I spent a couple of days trying to figure out what I was doing wrong and it just didn't make sense that it would work in some cases and not in others. So then I figured I'd try other sites and finally, some consistency came into play.
On precisely every computer that experienced the error with any of my ASP.NET Ajax sites, they also experienced the exact same error on any of the telerik.com QSF examples that used ASP.NET Ajax, not to mention the ajax.asp.net control toolkit demo site. Conversely, the computers that didn't get the error on my sites didn't get them on yours either.
The problem for me, and for you, is the distrubingly high number of computers that are experiencing this problem around here. The other problem is that this is so clearly an issue with ASP.NET Ajax (and NOT r.a.d.Ajax - which works fine on all the "problem" machines around here) and yet Microsoft doesn't seem to acknowledge there's a problem. Another reason this is an issue for you guys is the fact that you are now building your controls on top of something that doesn't seem to globally work properly.
The official error is as follows (as it appears in the alert box):
Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerParserErrorExeption: The message received from the server could not be parsed. Common causes for this error are when the response is modified by calls to Response.Write(), response filters, HttpModules, or server trace is enabled. Details: Error parsing near '<!DOCTYPE html P''.
Which is interesting because I'm not doing any of the things suggested in the error (nor do I suspect that you are), and it also appears to be failing right off the get-go. Just to be sure, Ive tested all of the following with my sites:
- Explicity turned off server trace (which I believe is the default) in the web.config
- Verified that response.write isn't anywhere in my code (which I already knew)
- Verified that no response filters are being used
- Verified that the version number for system.web.extensions is the correct RTM version in the web.config as stated in the documentation for ASP.NET Ajax
- Verified that, for each of the "problem" machines, that the security settings for the Internet Zone where correct (medium-high for IE7, medium for IE6)
- Turned off the enableRolesInCookies (suggested somewhere in the ASP.NET forums)
All of those items were tried both individually and together and none seemed to work. So I know it's not something with my code since the same error appears on telerik.com and ajax.asp.net.
I'll send this now in hopes that you can start me down the path to resolution. In the meantime I will try the following to hopefully help narrow down the issue:
- Visit other known ASP.NET Ajax sites, such as pageflakes on the "problem" machines
- Install other browsers on the "problem" machines to see if it's an IE-specific error
If there's anything else I can try, please let me know. Thanks,