How do i debug???????

5 posts, 0 answers
  1. Brian Mains
    Brian Mains avatar
    485 posts
    Member since:
    Oct 2008

    Posted 18 Jan 2010 Link to this post

    Hello,

    I am running a report I built and I get:

    An error has occurred while processing Report '':
    Specific cast is not valid.

    How am I supposed to debug this?  I have no idea what is causing this.
  2. Steve
    Admin
    Steve avatar
    10941 posts

    Posted 19 Jan 2010 Link to this post

    Hello Brian,

    You can debug your code only if you have referenced and using your reports in an actual application (be it windows forms or web forms).

    Regards,
    Steve
    the Telerik team

    Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
  3. DevCraft banner
  4. Brian Mains
    Brian Mains avatar
    485 posts
    Member since:
    Oct 2008

    Posted 19 Jan 2010 Link to this post

    Hello,

    Even if I run in a web form, the error is with one of the expressions probably, but I can't figure out which one when I don't even get a stack trace; is there some way to figure this out?  Can you enable logging to event log or something?

    Thanks.
  5. Chris Gillies
    Chris Gillies avatar
    384 posts
    Member since:
    May 2006

    Posted 19 Jan 2010 Link to this post

    Check the output window in Visual Studio. Also the error is most likely coming from your code behind (i.e. if you have user functions etc.) so place a debugger there to step through your code.
    Note that the expression language is not a programming language and you should rely on the syntax described in Telerik's documentation: http://www.telerik.com/help/reporting/designing-reports-item-binding-expressions.html

    Cheers


  6. Brian Mains
    Brian Mains avatar
    485 posts
    Member since:
    Oct 2008

    Posted 19 Jan 2010 Link to this post

    Hey,

    That's the thing; I had verified it and it was clearly within the report; I just fixed the issue and that was because of something within the expression.  So that's my concern, is how to figure that out...  Cause for a second there, I thought I was using a Microsoft product :-)  Just kidding.

    Thanks.
Back to Top
DevCraft banner