This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Grid Visible action changed in Q1.2013

3 Answers 29 Views
Grid
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
David Penny
Top achievements
Rank 2
David Penny asked on 11 Mar 2013, 12:43 PM
Hi,

I seem to have noticed that in the Q1.2013 release the action of visible on the RadGrid has changed. I am discovering that every bound column with the visible="false" attribute, which used to work previously, now returns  

I am having to change all of these columns to Display="false" instead, which fixes the issue where I need to access those columns, but I have over 100 pages which use grids and all of them have until now been using visible="false"

Is this change of behavior deliberate in this release? Is there anything I can do as a work around short of searching for all occurences within grids and changing them from visible to display?

David Penny

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 14 Mar 2013, 09:06 AM
Hi,

Yes, this is a breaking change in our Q1 2013 Release. And yes, this is one of the approaches that could be used to achieve the same results. You could find more information on the matter in this sticky thread.

Kind regards,
Andrey
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
dhuss
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Apr 2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks to this change, I now have 100+ grids to review and fix. As a developer, I can't believe Telerik would make a change, knowing full well, that this change would break every grid made that used the visible property. Do you have any idea of how much time and $$ this is going to take to fix!! Why didn't you guys just create a new property that would utilize the fix you made and let the user decide if they wanted the increased performance vs. spending the time and $$ to fix all of their grids that use the visible property. I can understand your desire to increase performance but from my view, this decision was not thought out very well. It looks like you missed one of the "cons" of how many of our customers will be affected and how much time and $$ will this cost them to fix their grids, just so we can get a little better performance. In the future, it would be nice if you could give us a heads-up of any breaking changes that will be coming down the pipe, instead of after the fact. This way, we can be prepared, knowing our products will break. Small shops do more with less and don't have the time, $$ and resources to keep making fixes like this.
Maria Ilieva
Telerik team
answered on 17 Apr 2013, 02:26 PM
Hello Dennis,

We completely understand your concerns however please note that this breaking change is actually a bug fix for the RadGrid control. We could imagine what amount of work and money would cost to modify your example which as you mentioned contains 100+ RadGrid controls. However note that we introduce every breaking change into our Release Notes which is preferable to be revised before upgrading your site. Also form a user's point of view the performance is one of the main criteria for a good application and we concentrate all our effort in increasing our controls performance and this in some cases could leads to such breaking changes but according to most of our clients this worth it.

All the best,
Maria Ilieva
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Tags
Grid
Asked by
David Penny
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Andrey
Telerik team
dhuss
Top achievements
Rank 1