Grid Performance issues with 4000~ rows and 26 Collumns

4 posts, 0 answers
  1. John
    John avatar
    7 posts

Posted 11 Jun 2015 Link to this post

I understand that that is a lot of data to present at once. I tried paging and virtual scrolling and the performance is still very slow. I have the data inside a kendo datasource, that portion performs like a charm. The performance decreases drastically when I assign that dataSource to my grid. The lines are formatted via kendo row templates. Even after I load the grid initially and I move elsewhere and come back; the grid takes forever to show up even thought data is not being populated and "show" is just occurring. I am afraid I am going to have to use slickGrid...was really wanting to be able to use the Kendo functionality throughout. Any ideas? Sorry this is not a specific question, but a general guidelines request.
  2. Dimo
    Admin
    Dimo avatar
    8331 posts

Posted 15 Jun 2015 Link to this post

Hello John,

If the performance is very bad even when using paging or virtual scrolling, I suspect that you have not enabled server-side data operations, and all the data is downloaded to the client in bulk, which generates a slow Ajax request.

http://docs.telerik.com/KENDO-UI/api/javascript/data/datasource#configuration-serverPaging

Is the data used by some other widget except the Grid? If not, then the performance is better when the dataSource is not assined to the Grid probably because no data is loaded from the remote service (the Kendo UI DataSource does not request data automatically after it is initialized).

Also, if you are using templates, it makes a difference what these templates contain.

I am not able to provide more specific information at this point, as I don't have enough information.

Generally, the greater the number of columns, the smaller the page size should be, if you want acceptable performance, including rebinding speed. Of course, it also depends what is the exact scenario and how is the Grid configured.

Regards,
    Dimo
    Telerik
    Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!
  3. Kendo UI is VS 2017 Ready
  4. John
    John avatar
    7 posts

Posted 15 Jun 2015 in reply to Dimo Link to this post

I am currently placing all work on the client side. In order to integrate with the already "Created" project; I decided to just send JSON string back to the client and modify details from there. I have been searching consistently for the last 2 weeks to find a way to connect the grid to the data on the back side, but it is not a "database" or "xml" file. I am sending a private class stringified with data back to the browser. I have tried the idea of integrating small parts of Telerik asp.net AJAX into my web page, but to no success. I honestly don't understand the RAD controls because I have been using Kendo UI which seems to be a lot simpler. (I haven't ventured into the other tool sets) I have tried virtual scrolling down to 25 only at a time and the issue isn't the scrolling part. The problem aligns with the show of the grid where it can take 30 seconds-2 minutes for it to finally show on screen. Sorting/scrolling/etc all works well except the "showing" of the grid when going to the page.
  5. Dimo
    Admin
    Dimo avatar
    8331 posts

Posted 17 Jun 2015 Link to this post

Hello John,

The provided information so far is a little confusing and I am not sure whether the problem is in the loading of the data, the databinding, or the rendering. If you provide a runnable example, I will take a look and advise further.

With regard to the databinding part of the process, we implemented some optimizations in Q3 2014, so make sure you are using this version or a newer one.

http://docs.telerik.com/kendo-ui/install/changes-and-backward-compatibility#kendo-ui-2014-q3

Finally, take a look at the following demo, which works with 500,000 data items and the Grid databinds quite fast:

http://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/grid/virtualization-local-data

Regards,
    Dimo
    Telerik

Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!

Kendo UI is VS 2017 Ready