Excel export - filename is url encoded for some users

6 posts, 0 answers
  1. Clive Hoggar
    Clive Hoggar avatar
    334 posts
    Member since:
    Nov 2008

    Posted 23 Nov 2009 Link to this post

    Hi

    I am having a strange problem with some users... I  feel sure the fix is simple but
    I haven't cracked it yet..

    The filename that is on the tab of the exported worksheet, when I download it
    myself, is 'WinelistExport.xls'  as expected, but some users see it as
    '%57%69%6e'    etc etc.   I realise that this is in fact the urlEncoded version of the same filename.

    It must depend on some computer depend setting.  How can I get round this and make sure
    it shows the worksheet tab normally?

    Thanks

    Clive.
  2. Princy
    Princy avatar
    17421 posts
    Member since:
    Mar 2007

    Posted 24 Nov 2009 Link to this post

    Hello Clive,

    This issue seems to be fixed in the latest release. Refer to the following forum links which discuss on a similar issue:
    PDFExport Filename
    Export to CSV

    Hope these help..
    Princy.

  3. UI for ASP.NET Ajax is Ready for VS 2017
  4. Daniel
    Admin
    Daniel avatar
    4945 posts

    Posted 24 Nov 2009 Link to this post

    Hello Clive,

    At this point, RadGrid (purposely) encodes the file name to allow the usage of Unicode characters in Internet Explorer. Unfortunately we must remove this functionality for Internet Explorer 6 and 7 because of their noncompliance to the standards.
    Fix for this issue will be included in the next release of RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. The expected release date is around the midst of December.

    Best regards,
    Daniel
    the Telerik team

    Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
  5. Daniel
    Admin
    Daniel avatar
    4945 posts

    Posted 24 Nov 2009 Link to this post

    Hello Princy,

    I'm afraid the problem was solved only partially. We will remove the encoding when the browser is Internet Explorer 6 or 7 and the user will have the option to encode/escape the name manually when needed (as in the code-snippet posted in the first link).

    Best regards,
    Daniel
    the Telerik team

    Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
  6. Mark Galbreath
    Mark Galbreath avatar
    171 posts
    Member since:
    Jul 2009

    Posted 24 Nov 2009 Link to this post

    Microsoft does not comply with standards?!?  Say it isn't so!!

    I upgraded my version to 2009_3_1016 and the URL encoded filenames disappeared.

    Cheers!
    Mark
  7. Daniel
    Admin
    Daniel avatar
    4945 posts

    Posted 26 Nov 2009 Link to this post

    Hello Mark,

    We spent a lot of time testing the behavior of the most common browsers and we decided not to touch the filename when the browser is IE6 or IE7. Of course if someone wants to use non-US characters he/she can manually encode the filename when exporting.

    Some useful reading for IE below:
    http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheContentDispositionSagaControllingTheSuggestedFileNameInTheBrowsersSaveAsDialog.aspx
    http://greenbytes.de/tech/tc2231/

    Best regards,
    Daniel
    the Telerik team

    Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Back to Top
UI for ASP.NET Ajax is Ready for VS 2017