This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Deployment Question

2 Answers 86 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Eric
Top achievements
Rank 1
Eric asked on 06 Feb 2009, 08:27 PM
I have just written an application using the 2008.3.1314.35 version of the UI.dll. I am wanting to deploy it now. The only problem, is that it is an upgrade to an old 1.1 app and I have about 230 clients using it. I would like to get rid of the following in the web.config so that when I get a new version of the UI.dll I don't have to go to each web.config to chagnge Version information. I am aware of installing it to the GAC, but how would I reference it from the web.config file. Obviously, I get an error everytime I take this line out. Any ideas on best practice for deployment?

<

add assembly="Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2008.3.1314.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121FAE78165BA3D4"/>

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Eric
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Feb 2009, 08:28 PM
Also should mention that I don't want to include the UI.dll in the app bin directory. GAC installation would be easiest for maintenance I believe.
Paul Wade
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Feb 2009, 07:06 PM
There should be no problem with putting the dll in the GAC on the server instead of the app bin... You don't need to change anything for the config to find it, it will check the gac first. It would be easy enough to test by removing the dll's on your dev box and running in debug. Your dev machine should already have the dll's in the gac.

As for the config file, that is a little more tricky..

Is this hosted on multiple servers? or do you have multiple nested applications? If they are nested you should only need to refrence the assembly in the root config.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Eric
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Eric
Top achievements
Rank 1
Paul Wade
Top achievements