This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Creating a SharePoint 2010 Application page with Telerik RadControls

9 Answers 114 Views
Sharepoint Integration
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Sam
Top achievements
Rank 1
Sam asked on 01 Nov 2012, 08:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I am attempting to create an application page in SharePoint 2010 using Telerik ASP.NET AJAX controls. I created an empty SharePoint project (see attached file 'solution.png') then added an application page project. I am referencing Telerik.Web.UI. However, I am getting an error (see attached file 'error.png') saying the assembly Telerik.Web.UI cannot be found.

I think the error lies here: SharePoint 2010 is purely 64-bit. It seems that I have the Telerik controls installed but they reside in the directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q3 2012\Bin35'. Assembly Telerik.Web.UI exists in the GAC but I think they're of the wrong versions (see attached file 'Assembly.png').

Could this be giving me these errors?

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Stanimir
Telerik team
answered on 05 Nov 2012, 07:10 AM
Hi,

What you are missing in your code is the registration of Telerik.Web.UI with fully qualified name. The register clause should look like the following one:
<%@ Register tagprefix="telerik" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" assembly="Telerik.Web.UI, Version=x.x.x.x, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4" %>
where x.x.x.x is the version of Telerik.Web.UI.

More information on how to use RadControls in SharePoint, you can find in the following online help articles:
Deploying RadControls for ASP.NET Ajax
Incorporating RadControls for ASP.NET Ajax in SharePoint WebSites.
The articles are for SharePoint 2007, however you can use the same approach in SharePoint 2010.

All the best,
Stanimir
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Sam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Nov 2012, 02:23 PM
Hi Stanimir,

The thing I'm concerned about is that in the GAC I have much older verions that I have available to me in Visual Studio. This is also after just updating my Telerik installation. See the attached screenshots.
Stanimir
Telerik team
answered on 06 Nov 2012, 09:54 AM
Hi,

There is no problem for you to have different versions of Telerik.Web.UI in the GAC. This is the whole purpose of the GAC (to be able to have different versions). What's important regarding SharePonit is using the fully qualified name when referring the assembly. This includes the pages and the web.config file/files of your SharePoint site.

Please review the articles, which I provided you with in my previous post:
Deploying RadControls for ASP.NET Ajax
Incorporating RadControls for ASP.NET Ajax in SharePoint WebSites.
If you have any question regarding the deployment, or usage of Telerik.Web.UI, I will be glad to answer.

What is important in short terms is:
1. You must have the Telerik.Web.UI assembly in the gac.
2. You must have the SafeControl elements in the web.config file. Fully qualified name is mandatory here.
3. You must use fully qualified name when referring Telerik.Web.UI in the page.
4. If you decide to update Telerik.Web.UI.
You will need SafeControl elements for all previously used versions of Telerik.Web.UI and a binding redirct element in the web.confing (in point 4. of the first article you can find a sample dependentAssembly element). It will not be mandatory to change the version if the page references.

I hope this helps.

All the best,
Stanimir
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Sam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Nov 2012, 02:35 PM
Hi Stanimir,

I know that multiple versions of a library can exist in the GAC. You're right, that's the purpose. I guess what I'm saying is is that the LATEST version doesn't seem to be in there though I updated very recently. Why might that be?
Stanimir
Telerik team
answered on 07 Nov 2012, 08:14 AM
Hi Sam,

This is strange. The latest version of Telerik.Web.UI should be deployed automatically with the installation of RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX.

Here is what I suggest you to do.
1. Uninstall RadControls for SharePoint 2010 and then Reinstall them.
2. If the assembly does not appear in the GAC deploy it manually. As it is described in the provided articles.

All the best,
Stanimir
the Telerik team
Sam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Nov 2012, 06:42 PM
Stanimir,

I uninstalled and reinstalled the packages (ASP.NET AJAX) as you suggested. Interestingly the old Telerik.Web.* assemblies remained in the GAC after uninstall. When I reinstalled them only the Telerik.Web.Design assembly had the new version in there (see the post-installation.png screenshot).

I tried to delete the old assemblies and also install the new ones by hand (dragging them into the assembly folder) and in both cases I got an 'Access is denied' error (see the denied.png screenshot).

At this point, would you suggest opening a support ticket? This seems like real trouble and I need this solved quickly.

-Sam
Stanimir
Telerik team
answered on 08 Nov 2012, 08:16 AM
Hello Sam,

Could you try executing iisreset command, before manually add the new Telerik.Web.UI.dll in the GAC. Regarding the support ticket - open it. just point to the current forum thread. Its ID is 625242.

Greetings,
Stanimir
the Telerik team
Sam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Nov 2012, 02:27 PM
Hi Stanimir,

I uninstalled the Telerik ASP.NET AJAX and Silverlight libraries and still the Telerik.Web.* libraries remained. I performed an 'iisreset' and tried to uninstall the libraries manually and still I got an access is denied. See the attached screenshot.

I will open a support ticket. Thanks!
Stanimir
Telerik team
answered on 09 Nov 2012, 06:08 AM
Hello,

Just to be sure are You logged in as an Administrator on the SharePoint server?

Kind regards,
Stanimir
the Telerik team
Tags
Sharepoint Integration
Asked by
Sam
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Stanimir
Telerik team
Sam
Top achievements
Rank 1