This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2009.2.826.35

14 Answers 3096 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Gert Petersen
Top achievements
Rank 1
Gert Petersen asked on 09 Sep 2009, 01:55 PM
Getting this error after upgrading:

RadGrid - RadGrid1System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2009.2.826.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. File name: 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2009.2.826.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4' at Telerik.Web.Design.RadGridDesigner.GetDesignTimeHtml(DesignerRegionCollection regions) at System.Web.UI.Design.ControlDesigner.GetViewRendering(ControlDesigner designer)

What to do ?

Br
Pettsen

14 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 09 Sep 2009, 03:52 PM
Hi Pettsen,

This problem usually happens as a result of the shadow assembly mechanism of the Visual Studio IDE. Fixing it involves closing all of the Visual Studio IDE instances and loading your project again.

Let me share some more information:
To avoid locks, the Visual Studio IDE makes "shadow" copies of the assemblies which are actually used by the application and loads the assembly from the shadow copy location instead. This way it is possible for a developer to delete an assembly or replace it safely. Unfortunately, when replacing an assembly, the IDE makes a second shadow copy, which it loads again. Thus, there are two assemblies having the same namespaces, classes, etc. loaded in the current Application Domain and an ambiguity occurs. When viewing a page in design mode, the definitions of the classes in these two loaded assemblies are in conflict, hence the error.

Can you try restarting the solution?

Best regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Gert Petersen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Sep 2009, 09:13 AM
HI,
Thanks for the reply, just got back from vacations :-)

It does NOT help to restart solution. Same problem.

Br
Pettsen
plamen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Sep 2009, 01:42 PM
rajinder singh
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Oct 2009, 02:59 AM
hi i have the same problem..but i cant understand the solution u have suggested because of little knowledge of using assamblies..could u please explain it in step by step procedure what to do and how???i will be very thankfull to u for this..
plamen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Oct 2009, 09:07 AM
Hello Rajinder,

There are three ways to solve this problem:

1) Bin-deploy the design-time assembly
  • This solution would work only in case you have not installed RadControls for ASP.NET Ajax using the provided setup program. Assemblies installed by a setup program cannot be removed from GAC until the program is uninstalled. This approach is suitable when using only the dll-s from a zip (be that a hotfix or latest internal build).
  • Remove Telerik.Web.Design.dll from the GAC (this would fail if you have installed RadCotnrols for ASP.NET Ajax via the installer)
  • Copy Telerik.Web.Design.dll to your web site or application and make sure the dll is copied to the bin folder
  • Restart Visual Studio

2) GAC-deploy the control library assembly
  • Add Telerik.Web.UI.dll in the GAC
  • Remove Telerik.Web.UI.dll from your bin folder
  • Make sure you have the following line in your web.config:
  • <add assembly="Telerik.Web.UI, Version=xxxx.x.xxx.xx, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121FAE78165BA3D4"/>
  • Restart Visual Studio

3) Copy Telerik.Web.UI.dll to c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies and restart Visual Studio.

Thanks...
<John:Peel />
Gert Petersen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Oct 2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks for your effort, but none of theese solutions works :-(

Br
Pettsen
Missing User
answered on 12 Oct 2009, 12:59 PM
Hi Gert,

Could you please, open a support ticket and send a project along with steps and screenshots how to reproduce the problem on our side? Once we are able to reproduce it we will do our best to help.

Regards,
Plamen
the Telerik team

Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Gert Petersen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Oct 2009, 03:10 PM
*** Problem solved ***

Hurraa !!!

I can't believe my own stupidity !
What was the problem ????

Well, all the time i forgot to update Visual Studio 2008 with Servicepack 1.
Thats all folks.
Thanks to Telerik for the support.

Br
Pettsen
Missing User
answered on 12 Oct 2009, 03:42 PM
Hello Gert,

I am glad that you found a solution. If you have any further questions or problems regarding our products, please do not hesitate to contact us. 

Best wishes,
Plamen
the Telerik team

Rich
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Oct 2009, 01:23 AM
doing #3

Copy Telerik.Web.UI.dll to c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies and restart Visual Studio.

made it work for me.

thanks
Antti Kokko
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Nov 2009, 08:54 AM
Hello, I`m new but I ran into same kind of situation. I have the latest sitefinity 3.7. I`m trying to get the intra module example Contacts to work. I have tried almost everything but now it seems everything is pretty messy..:) But anyways first I ran into issues with registering assemblies RadMenu.Net2 etc. I removed those and started using directly telerik.RadMenu and it worked. I had to do refactoring here and there to get this compile to the point I`m currently. Now I`m getting following exceptions and just don`t know how to fix those anymore. Maybe at some point all went terribly wrong:

Error    5    Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2009.2.826.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)    C:\Projects\telerik\Sitefinity3.7\WebSites\SalesPresentation\Sitefinity\cmsentrypoint.aspx    1    
Error    6    Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2009.2.826.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)    C:\Projects\telerik\Sitefinity3.7\WebSites\SalesPresentation\Sitefinity\Admin\PreviewPage.aspx    1    
Error    7    Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2009.2.826.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)    C:\Projects\telerik\Sitefinity3.7\WebSites\SalesPresentation\Sitefinity\Admin\EditPage.aspx    1    

plamen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Nov 2009, 04:12 PM
Hi Antti

I recommend you check whether your web.config file contains references to older version of RadControls . 

Regards...
<John:Peel />
Denny Caldwell
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Dec 2009, 03:12 PM
#3 worked for me as well. Now I have to remember to update it whenever I update RadControls, but at least it works.
Joel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Apr 2015, 09:11 PM
Check If you have the file licenses.licx, if so, exclude it from your solution, somehow this lil file always screws telerik dll when updating the the latest version.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Gert Petersen
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
Gert Petersen
Top achievements
Rank 1