This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

angular kendo splitter does not work with height = 100%

5 Answers 259 Views
Splitter
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
BRAD
Top achievements
Rank 1
BRAD asked on 12 Sep 2014, 05:36 PM
I have the attached plunkr here:
http://plnkr.co/edit/5IE41TtnWHpjLZqzRidk
where i'm using the angular kendo splitter, and i have the height set to 100% and it's just entirely collapsed.  If i remove the height style, it shows fine, but just not with the height filled out.  What am i missing here to make sure the splitter fills out the entire height of the page?  Thank you for your help!

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik team
answered on 15 Sep 2014, 09:49 AM
Hello Brad,

In CSS, a percentage-based height property works if the parent element has height. Therefore, the controller div, and the body and the html need to have a 100% height, too. Here is the forked plunkr that shows this.

Regards,
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik

Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!

BRAD
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Sep 2014, 11:12 PM
Thank you, that does help.  My original code had multiple nested divs above the spiltter, and and needed them all set to 100%. 
I am, however, stuck with one other problem though.  I'm using a horizontal splitter, and a lot of the content in one of my panes spills over vertically.  The scrollbar for the splitter shows up fine, but unfortunately so does the one for the browser/page.  It's only a little bit, but i can't figure out a way to make sure only 1 scrollbar shows.  I haven't been able to come up with a test plunkr that shows this yet, but I was hoping you might have some ideas regardless.
Accepted
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik team
answered on 16 Sep 2014, 08:12 AM
Hello Brad,

It is likely that some of the elements with 100% height have borders, padding, and/or margins. Any of these will sum up with the 100% height because of the default browser box model, and will make the content more than 100% in height, triggering the scrollbar. You can resolve this by zeroing them out via CSS. Be aware that the html and body tags have default margin / padding. After verifying that all the content is correctly sized, you can set the html/body overflow to hidden, so that the browser scrollbar is never shown.

Regards,
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik

Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!

BRAD
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Sep 2014, 12:41 PM
the problem ended up being with my page being segmented out like:
<body>
<header></header>
<div></div>
<footer></footer>
</body>

my splitter is in the 'div' section, and what happens is that when the splitter height is set to '100%', it acts as if the header and footer don't exist.  the second scrollbar is there because of the header and footer, and it won't go away unless you remove those 2 objects.  
Is there a way around this issue?
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik team
answered on 18 Sep 2014, 07:11 AM
Hello Brad,

There are several ways around this problem, depending on the browser support that you want to achieve. Here are two:

• To achieve maximum compatibility (think IE7, etc), you can size the <div> with JavaScript, getting the page height and removing the height of the header and footer, i.e.
    $("body>div").height($("body").outerHeight()
        - $("header").outerHeight()
        - $("footer").outerHeight()
    );

Make sure to execute this on window.resize, too.
  • If you are OK with supporting IE9 and newer, you can use the CSS calc property (see its browser support), setting the following:
    body>div {
        /* change 100px to the combined height of header and footer */
        height: calc(100% - 100px);
    }
Regards,
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik

Tags
Splitter
Asked by
BRAD
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik team
BRAD
Top achievements
Rank 1